Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I am set out to install vent covers (Ramble brand from CW) over the bathroom and the Fantastic Fan in the living room. I discovered that the Fantastic Fan has a plastic base and the fan shroud prevents me from installing a screw and nut as on the metal base vents. So my question is for those who have installed them did you just use a screw into the plastic base or some sort of an screw with an anchor.

I also noticed on the one I did install the vent cover did not sit flush on the roof (about 1/4 of an inch above) is this the same on all?

Last I see the vent will open more that the cover will allow so has anyone had any problems in this area too.

Thanks

george

Edited by: geondebi
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't think that you need to add a vent cover on your Fantastic Fan because I thought that the vent cover is intregrated with the fan. We have a Maxx Fan and that's how it's designed. It can be opened in a rain storm and no rain should come in. I believe your Fantastic Fan is the same way.

As for the 1/4 inch of clearance at the bottom of an installed vent cover, that is correct. The vent cover never comes down flush to the roof.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

What ever kind of fan that came in our Cruiser says not to put a cover over it because the vent cover will not allow the lid to open all the way.I would suspect that there are covers that would allow the lid to open fully, but thats something that would need to be looked at on each type vent cover.Ours has a rain senser that closes the lid when a drop of water hits the senser.Of course you have to hope that it always works.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I just put 2 Maxx Air covers over mine on Saturday. The direction said there should be a gap this allows condensation to escape. My vents only open about 3/4 of the way now. This is plenty. made a big difference!

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I sent a email to Fantastic Fan last year about putting a cover over ours a 2007, 29CK and they said NOT to. The vent cover has to open completely each time or it could burn out a circuit board. You might want to send them a email with your model and serial number to make sure.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks to all for your postings. I wanted the cover so I could open the vents in the rain and not have the cover close. But, I know it will not open all the way so I will use the manual mode to open and let it run as I will not have to worry about water coming in. I still have some concern about the plastic base but think I will use screws and put some sealant to keep them tight.

Once more thanks to all and This is a great place to get information!!!!!!

george