Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Inverter wiring?

We have a 2021 Volante 3851FL 5th wheel that is fitted with a Xantrex Freedom 1200 inverter. It is an inverter only, not an inverter/charger. After realizing that the inverter was not working I started troubleshooting the system. What I discovered was, the battery feeding the inverter was at only 5.83 volts which is well below the minimum voltage required for the inverter to come on.

The way the system is wired there is no charging feed going to the battery.
The positive wire goes from the battery to the aux side of a Hi-AMP fuse then out to a battery disconnect, the positive then leaves the battery disconnect and goes to the inverter. The ground goes directly from the battery to the inverter and there are two AC lines exiting the inverter.

My question is, should there be a wire from the CONVERTER that feeds power back and charges the inverter battery or should I keep a trickle charger connected to the inverter battery when shore power is available? I would think the inverter battery should charge the same as the battery that runs the DC lights, pump, etc. ???
Old 08-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

You saying your rig has both, an inverter and a converter?
I've never worked with an inverter, but in my opinion, something should be charging the house battery. There is how many house batteries?
Your unit should still be under warranty, have you asked your dealer?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You saying your rig has both, an inverter and a converter?
I've never worked with an inverter, but in my opinion, something should be charging the house battery. There is how many house batteries?
Your unit should still be under warranty, have you asked your dealer?
Thanks Lloyd. There are 2 batteries. One is wired to operate the DC items in the RV and the other one feeds power to the inverter. I called the Dealer (Camping World) and they have been pretty much useless after the sale. I'm of the same thought as you in that something should be charging the battery. I don't know if something was missed during assembly at the factory or what.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Here is a link that might be of use for you.
https://justdownsize.com/rv-inverter-wiring-diagram/

Also, if that one battery was down to 5.83 volts, that is considered a dead battery. It's possible you might have to replace that one. I would disconnect it and put a charger on to see if it can be revived.
I believe they say at 11 volts the battery is considered dead.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Here is a link that might be of use for you.
https://justdownsize.com/rv-inverter-wiring-diagram/

Also, if that one battery was down to 5.83 volts, that is considered a dead battery. It's possible you might have to replace that one. I would disconnect it and put a charger on to see if it can be revived.
I believe they say at 11 volts the battery is considered dead.
Thank you Lloyd, the link is a great help. Based on diagram 2 I believe I can wire the two batteries in parallel which will increase my available runtime and both batteries will charge from the converter.

I have had the dead battery on charge for a couple of days day and will check the voltage as soon as the rain moves out of here today.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Your battery voltage may read fine after charging, but at 5-6 volts, that battery is shot.
a Multimeter won't help much after charging, you need to use a load tester to confirm if the battery is good/bad.
My guess is that the voltage is so low on the battery, The inverter will not perform its usual functions, and replacing it will solve all your issues.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

the Xantrex owners manual say it has a low voltage shutdown at 10.5.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
New Camper

I charged the battery and it checked 12.7 volts. When reconnected to the inverter the battery had enough voltage for the inverter to turn on. I will have to take the battery to a auto parts store to have it tested under load as Rrizz pointed out.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Team

If you have to replace your batteries, make sure to get a true deep cycle. Might be worth while to have the other one load tested at the same time.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Dealer not helping ?

I dunno where you bought this thing, but I would be over there every day until they make this right. You are doing all the footwork, testing batteries, troubleshooting. If my dealer treated me that way, they wouldn't be in business very long. Tis true, that learning everything you can about the various systems will make it easier for you in the future, but a brand new unit should be flawless. Good luck and give em hell.
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalther1 View Post
I dunno where you bought this thing, but I would be over there every day until they make this right. You are doing all the footwork, testing batteries, troubleshooting. If my dealer treated me that way, they wouldn't be in business very long. Tis true, that learning everything you can about the various systems will make it easier for you in the future, but a brand new unit should be flawless. Good luck and give em hell.
He said it was Camping World, and he is learning fast that they are worthless. There are thousands of complaints about Camping World and their lack of service. The whole RV service industry is in turmoil, and it's very likely he would wait months to get his rig back in no better shape than it is now.
In my humble opinion, if you can fix it yourself for not much cost, you are WAY ahead.
As to the fix, I am not familiar with the factory invertor setup, but I know a couple people that have that arrangement because they have the newer 12 volt residential type fridge. I bet that is what you have.
I do know that normally, when connected to shore power, the convertor charges both batteries.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
He said it was Camping World, and he is learning fast that they are worthless. There are thousands of complaints about Camping World and their lack of service. The whole RV service industry is in turmoil, and it's very likely he would wait months to get his rig back in no better shape than it is now.
In my humble opinion, if you can fix it yourself for not much cost, you are WAY ahead.
As to the fix, I am not familiar with the factory invertor setup, but I know a couple people that have that arrangement because they have the newer 12 volt residential type fridge. I bet that is what you have.
I do know that normally, when connected to shore power, the convertor charges both batteries.
Yep, it was Camping World. They were great up until the sale then they are useless.

I'm a hands on guy and would rather fix it myself if I can, and if it doesn't cost too much. At least I know it is done correctly. If it is something major I will go through the suffering of dealing with the dealership.

We do have the residential refrigerator and it appears that is the only item that the inverter supplies 120 AC to.