Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

I like the progressive surge protectors because they have a lifetime warranty. I purchased mine in 2016. In 2018 it went bad and they replaced it with a newer updated one. Here’s my post on mine. http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ht=Progressive

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
Seasonal Camper

I've been following this thread with keen interest and echo everyone's responses since the issue was resolved.

I installed a hard wired 'Surge Guard' brand surge protector, and it too is offered with a lifetime warranty.

Recently, while hooked up at a campsite, it kept repeatedly tripping which was somewhat annoying as the auto re-set time is 2 minutes. Having said that, the campground loaned us an extension to plug into an adjacent vacant site, called their electrician, and by their own admission, acknowledged the recently installed pedestal we were at had been incorrectly wired.

Phew......bullet dodged, thanks Surge Guard.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
I've been following this thread with keen interest and echo everyone's responses since the issue was resolved.

I installed a hard wired 'Surge Guard' brand surge protector, and it too is offered with a lifetime warranty.

Recently, while hooked up at a campsite, it kept repeatedly tripping which was somewhat annoying as the auto re-set time is 2 minutes. Having said that, the campground loaned us an extension to plug into an adjacent vacant site, called their electrician, and by their own admission, acknowledged the recently installed pedestal we were at had been incorrectly wired.

Phew......bullet dodged, thanks Surge Guard.
Been there done that also. Surge protectors can save you a lot of money and problems. I went to a new section of Stone Mountains NC campground years ago; the first day they had opened the new section. I picked a spot and someone else took a spot next to me. When they plugged in their TT, their unit started making a sizzling sound then smoke started coming from the trailer. The pedestal had been wired to 240 and it fried his entire electrical system. The state park had to pay for the damage. He didn’t have any surge protector.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

There are folks that insist that an EMS is not required.

Mine makes me sleep better at night.

I find it hard to understand why a professional electrician would look at an rv plug requiring 4 wires and not at least think about it. This is all too common.

Dodged a bullet here, sort of.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatbay View Post
There are folks that insist that an EMS is not required.

Mine makes me sleep better at night.

I find it hard to understand why a professional electrician would look at an rv plug requiring 4 wires and not at least think about it. This is all too common.

Dodged a bullet here, sort of.
EMS is not REQUIRED but it sure makes life a lot simpler! (and sometime cheaper)

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #26
Site Team

We mostly go where there are no hookups so one was not high on the list. But as you get older you start to think more so one is on the short list for this year. Just like a insurance policy you have and hope to never need it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the report back. We were encouraged to get a surge protector when we bought our trailer and this post adds weight to the argument.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I picked a spot and someone else took a spot next to me. When they plugged in their TT, their unit started making a sizzling sound then smoke started coming from the trailer.
Only time 'Sizzling' is acceptable is in reference to sausages.........

Nothing worse than the unmistakable smell of burning electrical insulation, especially in the black of might, and you can't find the source!

INVEST IN SURGE PROTECTION.....!!
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote