Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Jack stands or tires on the ground?

So, just wanted to get some opinions on my situation. We usually camp at least once a month from March-September and take our big trip in October. With my wife having to quit her job do to Psoriatic Arthritis and without a retirement on her part, things have been tight. I worked my part time job to pay for the new Goodyear Endurance tires for our 5er. Even though camping will be scarce this year (saving for our three week trip in October) and no little trips planned do to saving. Here’s my dilemma! I keep my 5er in our metal enclosed building with smooth concrete floors. Since my 5er will be sitting until October, would it be better to jack it up and put on jack stands under the unbolts on the backside of the wheels to keep the tires off the ground or to leave it setting on the tires without being moved until October? Asking for opinions for the tires not getting flat spots due to sitting. And while I’m at it do any of you put yours on jack stands during the winter. I use to but haven’t in the past few years.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Ours sits on the tires all winter and no problems. In the old days of bias ply tires they would get flat spots but would smooth out after a few miles. My father would put his tires on a piece of plywood did it do anything don't know but that's what he did in the winter.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I use plastic cutting boards under the tires to isolate them from the concrete or ground. Our is in the barn for the time being but will go back on the road this fall.

I kind of learned this from a friend. He set his Avion on plastic no matter where it was.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I’d let it sit on the rubber. Any flat spots you may get won’t be noticed and would be gone in the first mile.

UV is much harder on tires if that aren’t being used.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I am with the plywood under the tires group . Stops the cement or whatever from sucking the moisture from the rubber. At least that is what a good year guy told me years ago . And small pieces of ply are free at home construction sites

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks, plywood sounds like a good idea.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Mine sits on the cement. Always has, and I've never had or seen any issues.
In fact, our rig hasn't moved since I backed it in the building last Oct.

I can't believe what I just said--last Oct.
I have to get that thing dewinterized and do some camping.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

6 of 1, half dozen of the other, regarding how fussy you are. Myself, guilty of driving the old girl onto 2x10's for the winter, rather than just sit on the grass and possibly make indentations during spring thaw. I also made custom fit white wheel covers that stay on all winter. Personally I don't think anyone is wrong with there personnel winterizing procedure, but I'm definately guilt of that little thing some call fussy. Been told it a thousand times, by good friends that have no reason to lie...lol...
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #9
Site Team

I have one of these https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005 horse stall pads from Tractor Supply. I cut it in half lengthwise and put in the shed I store my fifth wheel in. It also makes it easy to tell where I need to park when I back the trailer in.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I followed my Grandfathers lead, I park mine on top of some 2 x 10's when she is parked at our house. My trailer pad is made up of larger River rock and I doubt there would be any moisture sucking from the rocks but then again, what can it hurt to have it on some nice flat boards.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I have one of these https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005 horse stall pads from Tractor Supply. I cut it in half lengthwise and put in the shed I store my fifth wheel in. It also makes it easy to tell where I need to park when I back the trailer in.
Thise are a great idea!
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I've never put anything under any of my tires except boards on one side occasionally to level and have never noticed a problem. I don't think damp earth/gravel/concrete/asphalt does much, if any, degrading of rubber during a tire's normal life. The real culprit is sunlight (UV) and ozone in the air.

I keep all my tires and other outdoor rubber and plastic items marinated in Aerospace 303 and keep covers on the trailer tires when stored.

I'm as guilty as anyone at times but I think we tend to occasionally accept questionable "common knowledge" as gospel. Just my personal experience but I've had ST tires on the road for up to 6 years in the past and never saw a crack or had a problem, just got paranoid and changed them. Your mileage may vary. (Shameless pun.)
Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Yea I agree. I think outside elements contribute a lot to degrading elements that cause repairs. I had my metal 24X36 building erected in 2000 before my house was built in 2001. I’ve always kept my units in there over the years and have never had any tire problems but was sitting around over thinking things and thought I would ask with this post. Always good to get others opinions.