Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
JWN
Weekend Camper

Just took delivery on our new CF30ES, love it. During the dealer demo he played the radio (Jensen AWM970)on 3 seperate speaker positions, A, B, or C. Don't know if it was on AM or FM. Radio is connected to the new Jensen ANHD20 AM, FM, TV pancaked omni-directional antenna. The radio sounded great.

While at home preping it for our first short trip I tried to play the AM radio, nothing but static even though I'm 25 miles from a 50k watt radio station. Static all the way up & down the AM band, that changes sound when various lights, fans, etc. are turned on or off. FM seems OK. Also, speakers B and C suddenly stopped working. I tried checking the ground on the radio & it seems OK. Any suggestions or is it a 37 mile trip back to the dealer? Edited by: JWN
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Have you tried the AM portion of the radio using battery power alone, i.e. not hooked up to shore power? Typically the converter is producing a lot of low level AC because of poor filtering of the DC output and the lower cost radios in RV units don't have adequate filtering on the DC input into the radio. By their design FM tuners are not affected by this unfiltered DC.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Our second set of speakers has a wall switch in the bedroom, it's not labeled. You may check for wall switches. Also wasthe antenna amp switched on????????
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
JWN
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. Yes, battery or shore power almost the same noise. I think it's some type of antenna problem, cable or grounding problem????

JWN
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
JWN
Weekend Camper

No second switches, worked all three areas earlier, livingroom, bedroom, & outside. Now only livingroom works. Guessing inside relays stopped working. Checked resistance on speakers, they are OK.

Yes, tried antenna amp in all positions, still no luck with noise on AM.