Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
max
Weekend Camper

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 1185px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgOddTableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 1036px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">First off as my sig says I am new at this, it will me my first TT.

We made an offer Sunday afternoon during a local RV show.

We chose the 2013 26BH based on its smaller/reasonable size/weight, tons of features and our family needs and wants. Love the full coach and bigger dinette and bigger queen bed. Don't need the exterior kitchen and as far as a smaller bathroom, I don't think i will be using it much. It seems better sized for women and kids. We have 3 small kids under 5, so we may need to get larger beds down the road, but it seems roomy for now.

I always thought the extended warranty was for suckers, but it seems there are things that go wrong, and with the RESERVE model everything is electric. Some people love the convenience but it also means more can go wrong. The extended warranty is $2500 and it lasts 7 years, so while it offers a concurrent warranty for the first 2 years it does offer some extras. Is it worth it? I believe Crossroads makes a great product, but I was wondering if its worth it if a slide motor goes. If you claim nothing in 7 years, you get $200 of that back....seems unlikely NOTHING goes wrong in 7 years though no matter hpow good the quality.

Given the fading fibreglass cap issues and the overall look of the trailer over the long term. They are offering a true -coat product that coats the unit and will keep it shiny, easier to clean. I also read about rock chips. I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer if it helps with that yet . Maybe I'd still need to buy #M film for the cap anyway or get a Towtector.

I usually scoff at things like extended warranty and the coating, but since its my first RV I am not sure.

As far as use, it will be mountains and local campgrounds, not much gravel roads, and I don't plan on taking it into the backcountry to hunt.

Any input on the model itself and the warranty/protection would sure be appreciated. We considered the 27BH, but the smaller table, sofa bed and master queen trumped the outside kitchen and top double bunk the 27 BH had.

Papers are not signed yet so we can still make a switcher.

Sorry to ramble.....</td></tr></t></table>

Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Max, It is good to do your homework and anyone spending hard earned money like we do for TT's should and will be concerned. I am not a big fan of extended warranty I did buy an extended warranty for six years on a previous Montana from CW. The little pamphlet full of doubt and scare tactics sold me. I got home, read the warranty from cover to cover and realized how little it did cover and what a poor deal I had made. There were so many deductibles of 50 or 100 dollars plus the work had to be done at a CW facility. The warranty started immediately and many of the items protected were protected by the factory warrant the first few years. I had two issues within the six year period, a circuit board on one air conditioner and a an inverter. I chose each time to have it repaired out of pocket as what the cost was after the deductible was minimal plus the cost of diesel to run 80 miles one way and then back. They do not sell them to give money away...they do it for a big profit....that is my viewpoint. I bought a Rushmore last spring and will take my chances as always after the 2+5 runs out.I told them no extended warranty. I am banking after we remove the wrinkles in the first years that Crossroads does make a good product or they would not stand behind it the way they do. As for the stones buy a rock tamer....it goes with you when you get a new camper. I apply a good old fashioned coating of hand rubbed Carnuba wax at least twice a year and clean my roof twice a year minimum. My two cents from where I sit. Best wishes with whatever you decide and enjoy yourself with your decision. Go camping.....life gets shorter every minute.

Chevrolet 3500HD Silverado Dually
6.6 Duramax Allison
https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...psdb076010.jpg
Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

max

First things first....WELCOME!!!!

We were thinking the same thing and purchased an extended warranty (through our dealer not Crossroads). I agree that with all the electrics there is bound to be an issue and dependent on how often a year you us your unit the problem may not show itself right away. I know others will disagree but for me that was money well spent for peace of mind.
Please let me know what your dealer comes up with for the rock chips. We are experiencing that problem and did not tow for more than about 200 miles last year and no gravel roads AND I have mudflaps on the truck. I am thinking 3M but would be interested to hear what a dealer says.

I was a new owner when I started looking at this forum and was surprised to see the issues and negative posts that pop up. Until you get on other forums and notice that other brands have the same sort of issues and posts it seems Crossroads is pretty bad. So far we are happy with our purchase and our dealer (CanDan RV) has been exceptional with any warranty issues we have had.
I have heard it said here and on other forums that alot more people are quick to post negative issues while fewer post positive experience.
If you think you are getting a good deal go for it and enjoy your trailer while you can as time is short. Read what you can on the forums and take all comments with a grain of salt. In my humble opinion Crossroads makes a pretty good product.

Happy trails

Ian

Edited by: Roadie66

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Normally I avoid extended warranties but did get one on our previous Cruiser. Primary reason is that we were going to be on a very tight budget during the early yrs of retirement and didn't need any surprise budget busters. Never used the warranty, for the few things that did fail, it was easier and cheaper for me to just buy the parts and make the repairs myself. If you can, save the $2500 and use it if you have a problem.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

The way I look at it is if you cannot get the bugs out in 2 Yrs you would never get it out, we got a 2012 Sunset Trail and had minor things to do on it Plus we still have until October this year, that is only my take on extended warranty. Good Luck
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

It was the 2012 Sunset Trail 30 RE
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I, too, generally skip the extended warranty. We purchased the 5 year CW warranty for our Zinger. We are only 20 min from the CW we purchased from, and we only got the middle-of-the road warranty. A simple thought on my end was that if we have to replace a fridge or other major appliance after 3 or 4 years, we have recooped major portion of warranty (warranty cost us about $1500).

Even under warranty, I generally fix simple items myself (quite handy). The only other things I have ever bought warranties on was a washer/dryer and my wife's tablet. This one seemed worth it.

Another thought, depending on where you live, is if you are buying from a dealer that is 2-3 hours away because of price point and a different dealer is closer, you will likely regret it if you have any problems.

2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Team

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="height:200px;min-height:200px;"></tr><tr ="msgableRow" style="height:200px;min-height:200px;"><td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top">

<div ="msg">
I questioned the value of a extended warranty when I purchased my
Crossroads Patriot at he Hershey RV show this past September. What
really convinced was looking at all the electronics and electrical
components on the new RV.
After going back and forth with my wife she reminded about the problems
we had to pay out of pocket on our older 5th wheel. Probably set me
back 4 grand over the past 7 years. That 5er was not as advanced as our new CR and we finally decided to go with the extended warranty.
On
the forum you will find many do not believe in the extended warranty
and almost just as many do. On another RV forum I ran a poll asking if
you bought a new RV with an extended warranty. The results were 25
yes--26 no.
Always
going to be your own choice based on your own experiences or for you on
the advice of others along with your feelings about and extended
warranties. I also purchased a EW with my new truck. A lot of computer
and electronics also.
BTW
the warranty I bought was a Good Sams warranty for 7 years. At the
show the manufacturer payed $1000 of the total price of $2200.00 as an
incentive.

For me it also was a feeling of security.

</td>
</tr>
<tr ="msgableRow">
<td ="msgLineDevider">

<div ="msgSignature">
mark5w
</td></tr></t></table>

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Just responded to your other post. Just an FYI it is considered bad form to post 2 different simultaneously threads on the same topic, also known as double post.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
max
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much for the feedback, a lot to consider.

Sorry for thedouble post. I thought the best place was the other thread...until i noticed how sparse the posts were. That is why I posted it here again.

I'll be more careful in the future.

A major question is, how long will we keep it...one never knows.

One concern is the mention of a new or modified 2 year warranty. I will have to look more closely at that, but is it a 'comprehensive' on the Reserve editions for 2 years still or is the model irrrelevant?

We were led to believe it was 2 yrs on the Reserve ST.

Another Q - is an Equalizer brand hitch the way to go? Seemes to be popular, but I could see it being a Ford/Chev/Dodge preference as far as other options.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

"One concern is the mention of a new or modified 2 year warranty. I will have to look more closely at that, but is it a 'comprehensive' on the Reserve editions for 2 years still or is the model irrrelevant?

We were led to believe it was 2 yrs on the Reserve ST."

All Crossroads products now have a 1 Year Warranty
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We have just been discussing an extended
warranty/extended service contract and have been going back and forth on what
to do. I've been given several quotes from different companies and all have
been about $1,600 - $1,900. We are 1 year into our 2 year manufacturer’s
warranty and have had several items which have needed to be addressed. Our
biggest concern is if the slide mechanism/motor goes out. For now, we have
settled on putting the money we would be spending on the extended warranty into
a savings account to be used for the trailer once out of warranty, at that time
we will just pay out of pocket for any needed repairs and hope we made the best
decision. I'd like the peace of mind having an extended warranty however, when
you read the fine print, not everything is covered and in my experience, a
lot that is covered are items I have never had to replaceon the
three travel trailers we have owned. We had a 20 year old Airstream and never
had an appliance go out (they are no different than appliances used in many
other brands), we have had other issues but not ones an extended warranty would have
covered. </span><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
max
Weekend Camper

Hunter 11....et al,

I just finished page 7 of the boo hiss warranty thread and will make my way through it all.

First off, I know sites like this likely have more people posting their negative issues than their positive ones.

BUt if all I do is look at the RECENT TREND, here is a great company with a GREAT reputation that was taken over by others. They CLARIFy their warranty (not all bad), BUT they cut parts of it in half. THAT is not a POSITIVE direction, IMHO.

Was it ACTUALLY a BUMPER TO BUMPER 2 year warranty? Some, like the CR team, make it sound like much of it was ambiguous and NOT covered even though everyone ASSUMED it was a 2 YR comprehensive.

Do Jayco KZ et al offer a 2 year COMPREHENSIVE?

Comments like, 'the OLD MANAGEMENT team moved to KZ', make me take notice.
So the guys that BUILT this company (CR)left to do the same elsewhere and the MBA/hedge fund mentality guys have taken over CR. NEVER good for the customers.

I was never about the bling, but the wife loves all the features of the ST RESERVE ...and I won't complain. But to ME the most important things are the structure and moving parts and whether they will last. NOw I have less coverage.

I live in Alberta, and Its been enlightening to read how 'little' warranty coveragewill need to be provided from the dealer/manufacturerfor an RV in this climate.I'll explain.Buy in February, use it one year, warranty expires before I even take it out for my 2nd summer after only using the thing 5-8 times and sitting out all winter. With that little use, it would be SHAMEFUL if anything went wrong.

Another question, do you or does anyone know how long Tom has been at CR? Was he a holdover after they were bought out, or is he part of the new management team? MOre on that if/when I get an answer.

I still haven't signed the papers, but I am having second thoughts. Would I if they changed their warranty from 1 to 2 years? I think not.

So they drop the 5 year structuralwarranty because they had SO FEW claims...and thenthey go and change the way they make the gorilla cage, using LESS quality? Seems they are cutting the manufacturing process and living off theirformerly stellar reputation until people catch on.

It sounds harsh but I still have time to vote with my pocketbook.

Thanks for all the posts here.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Max, I am not going to make anymore comments on the "Boo Hiss" post. I said my piece and I am not going to dredge it up again. I just wanted you to know in the post I made above if you thought you were getting a 2 year warranty you are not. I have yet to see anyone post anything that has the new one year warranty as to how it or the "Promise"is working out for them. Looks like you are doing your research and you will be able to make your decision from that.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

You will have to decide for yourself on the warranty. I would like to see the sunset trail reserve 5er but I need to see weights on it also. We are looking to upgrade to a 5er and are favoring the sabre but the sunset trail reserve SF34RE has a nice looking floor plan that intrigues me.

As to your hitch question the equal-i-zer is known to be a good hitch as is the Reese dual cam. Both receive excellent reviews on multiple rv forums. Top of the line would be Hensley arrow or pro pride but they are both expensive.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Hi Max, better check the warranty closely, as I remember you need to have the trailer checked once a year by CR or your warranty we be invalided. Related to the trailer frame.

Edited by: LeBo
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I thought I read somewhere that Lippert had lowered the frame warranty to 1 year as well. If that is the case and your trailer warranty is only 1 year then there would be no need in yearly inspections for the warranty. Now everyone should inspect their trailer on a regular basis but as far as the warranty I can't see any use for that.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Who would want to buy a new camper with a 1 year warrenty. Where I live our season ends in oct. and don't restart untill june. Eight months out of a year our campers are in storage. Even if you could use it 5 months you have lost better than 1/2 your warrenty.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote