Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

The Dometic fridge in our 2010 Cruiser has two modes: AC and propane. People say they run the unit on propane while driving down the road. Several places say this is unsafe. What is the truth?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We only use ours on propane if we will be on the road for more than 4 hours as ours stays plenty cold for at least that long. We have never had an issue while using it on propane when we do use it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

This is something that has been discussed in the past and I don't believe the truth has really come about, just a whole lot of opinions. Here's mine of course.

I travelled through Nevada this past July with temps around 110 for over 6 hours, fridge turned off and lo and behold never had a issue with "adult beverages" getting warm preventing me from guzzling the first one after getting set up. And that's the truth!! By the way, nice unit, hope you enjoy it.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I keep my fridge on electric when we are getting ready to leave, when we leave we flip to propane and we always have the fridge on, we have camped for over 30 yrs and I have always run the fridge when we travel, never had any problems......works for us....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Last time this was posted I went to the propane association web sites and did not find anything that directly addressed this issue. Dometic and Norcold websites also avoided discussion.

However, I did find a link (in another thread I'm too lazy to look up) that noted it is illegal to use propane going through a tunnel and appliances with a flame (propane) need to be extinguished BEFORE entering a gas station. Seems like common sense to me.

I have done both. But I always think about the guy who always smoked in the fireworks factory and never had a problem, ... until he blew up. Like Hunter and ryeja, I leave ours off going down the road now. Beverages, and more importantly, food is just fine even after 6-8 hours on the road. My version of "green" camping. Of course, I'm not driving in 90 degree plus temps, which could cause me to use the propane.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have found if the fridge is full it will fair better with it off while traveling. If there is any space left in the freezer will fill it up with blue ice. Then when camping the blue icewill refreeze from running the fridge. I just can not leave the propane on while traveling. Read one post where someone had a tire failure that ruptured the propane line that went to the fridge. This could have been a possible fire hazard. The propane manifold on my Cruiser is not very far from the right rear tire.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have seen both why's or why not on this subject. I travel with the propane on and keep the frig running. But, I have to turn it off when getting fuel and if a rule of the road makes me turn it off. tried to see how long it takes for the freezer to thaw. I think that the big reason is if you have a tire blow out on the side of the frig and hit a gas line it is up in smoke. I guess I will just take my chances.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We run our Fridge all the time while traveling with no problems. Now in our area we have many tunnels and you MUST stop for inspection and turn off the gas. The problem is trying to find a safe place to pull over and restart the fridge. If you run the inspection station, VDOT will stop all traffic on the bridge and pull you over prior to going into the tunnel. (seen this with my own eyes). I'm sure this made the driver look like an a**.

When we blew a tire recently we had the fridge on and it cut the line. We had to find a cooler to save our food that was setting nicely in the fridge cold while traveling. Always have a back up plan!!!!

Good luck with your travels.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I freeze a gallon jug of water and through in a couple of ice packs that came with some steak orders and after traveling 6 or 7 hours in 95 degree temps the fridge is still cold and the drinks are still cold. I follow Murphys law the first time that I would try running with the fridge on propane I would end up towing a Roman candle. Why take a chance.

xterra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Another vote for running the frig all the time. I put my unit on AUTO the first year we had it....and I reckon I haven’t changed it since.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

When loading at the house it is on elec. Then when we disconnect it automatically switches over to propane and vise-versa.

We have had no issues and it works well for us.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We keep our's on AUTO also and have never had a problem with it staying cold.

The only issue we have is the shelves on the door broke due to the awful I10 thru LA.

I have to find a place to order new ones. Anyone have any ideas?

12 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
MajandMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

You might try this place and I may have one other place if I can find it when I get home.

http://www.aaarv.net/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I keep ours on auto. as far as a blown tire taking out gas line, that is what the new gas valves are for . They will stop the flow of gas if you have a rupture.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote