Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Kingpin Extension

I recently had the dreaded jack knife with my shortbed(6.5ft) 2013 F250 Super duty and my Cruiser CF351. Made me sick to my stomach to see the screws popped out on the left front cap and approx. 2" crack in the fiberglass at the bottom. I think it is all fixable without too much $$$$.
I have purchased a 'Pop Up' RV5 10" King Pin Extender which should solve this problem.
Does anyone have any experience with the RV5 extender?
By the way, I have a B&W 3300 5th wheel hitch. Called the factory and they told me that they do not currently offer a slider model for the factory installed puck system.
I look forward to your comments.
breams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

When we had our 2012 and 2013 fords, we had a pullrite slider in them....

now didn't use the ford puck system, but it worked fine...
one thing you have to be careful with on full lock turns is that the extended trail air tri-glide on our redwood would hit the side rails it was so long !!!
let me see if I can find a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailair.JPG (38.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Burleson-Joshua-20140323-00194.jpg (219.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
When we had our 2012 and 2013 fords, we had a pullrite slider in them....

now didn't use the ford puck system, but it worked fine...
one thing you have to be careful with on full lock turns is that the extended trail air tri-glide on our redwood would hit the side rails it was so long !!!
let me see if I can find a pic
Wow, How did the lower picture happen?
Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

My sentiments exactly
Redwood chose to put the junction box on the outside of the pin box even thought there was a LOT of room right inside...
and when we had to make a full lock turn with the Trail-Air Tri-Glide pin box, it hit the side of the bed.

Well, it hit the bed cover lip - that F-350 had the ford OEM roll up bed cover that had a velcro 'lip' on it...

After that I moved the junction box inside the pin box - was ez to do and much safer that way (AND looked a lot better without that ugly junction box)
Old 11-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by breams View Post
I recently had the dreaded jack knife with my shortbed(6.5ft) 2013 F250 Super duty and my Cruiser CF351. Made me sick to my stomach to see the screws popped out on the left front cap and approx. 2" crack in the fiberglass at the bottom. I think it is all fixable without too much $$$$.
I have purchased a 'Pop Up' RV5 10" King Pin Extender which should solve this problem.
Does anyone have any experience with the RV5 extender?
By the way, I have a B&W 3300 5th wheel hitch. Called the factory and they told me that they do not currently offer a slider model for the factory installed puck system.
I look forward to your comments.
I read this morning (but please treat it as a rumor still) that B&W will be announcing a factory puck slider at SEMA and that it will be available in January.

Source: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: BIG News for Puck System Short Beds
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
I read this morning (but please treat it as a rumor still) that B&W will be announcing a factory puck slider at SEMA and that it will be available in January.

Source: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: BIG News for Puck System Short Beds
That will be great. I can't understand why they do not offer one already. They have Ford and other manufactures putting the puck systems in the beds at the factory in short bed pick ups and you have no B&W slider option.