Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Ok I need some more advice with multiple questions, (of course its me thats posting right! LOL).

My leaf springs are pretty flat with the trailer only half loaded. They are pretty much just straight across on both sides. Just showing level I guess for lack of better terminology. I noticed this last fall when we unloaded for the winter, we didnt completely empty it and only brough in the things that would freeze. The TT is 6 yrs old too.

Should I replace them? (Im going to put the Equa-Flex on this spring and while I have it apart.....)

And now the second question which has a long explanation for your consideration.

I wanted to try to get a little more weight rating out of ittoo. I can upgrade my leaf springs from 1750# to 2400# springs (the sizes are exactly the same except the free arch goes from 3.00 for the 1750# spring, to 3.19 free arch for the 2400# spring). I know that the whole suspension should actually be upgraded to get a little more weight rating out of the thing but I cant afford new axles, breaks, (just bought 4 Never-Adjust brake assembliesfrom Dexter to be put on in the spring) hubs, etc. I also know that going with a higher arch in the spring will raise the trailer a bit but I can use the extra arch because of the way the trailer sits when hooked up, its not perfectly level with the TV and the extra height I estimate will bring it right up to level.

Now keep in mind my stock with the 1750# springs is: GVWR is 7993# with my CCC is 1186#.

Nowwith the battery 50#, propane 68#and 10 gallons of water 83#and any other added options (awning 200#?)spare tire and carrier 65# taken away from the CCC leaves me with only roughly 600 pounds for things like food, clothes, tools, all the other little things that we all take with us sat dish, tv's, etc.

It seems that adding allour "stuff" to my TT will put quite a burden on the springs themselves.

So with all this in consideration do you think it would be better to go with the 2400# springs? If not why?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

awhile back another member posted that his tires were rubbing the underside of his trailer so that prompted me to go outside and take a look at mine. sure enough two of the four tires were hitting. i called crossroads (randy mishler) and he didnt seem surprised. he said i had 3000lbs springs and he was sending me 5200lbs springs it raised the trailer about two inches. if you do upgrade just remeber that you still have to keep in mind your axle and tire/rim weight ratings.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Spinella, We have the same trailer. My tires were rubbing the underside of our trailer. So I had my dealer look into it and they found out that the trailer frame had the wrong shackles . They were to short so they replaced them the axles, springs,and tires. The replacement tires were no good with in a year I had 2 blow out and issues with the other two. I replaced them with Goodyears and it has been good since then. Just some thing to look into.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

bill,

if you dont mind can you measure your shackles. i'll check mine monday night. when i spoke to randy he said i wasnt the first to have this problem. he shipped them out that day to the dealer i bought the trailer from...on my observations only. on another note the morons who worked on my trailer at eddys service center here on long island re-used the hardware. its the kind of lock nuts that are a one time use only. i was doing an inspection and noticed quite a few nuts loose and or missing. i visited them the following day and i can tell you they were lucky i calmed down a little. if they were open the day i discovered it i probably would have gotton locked up. thanks.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I wiil look in the next few days and get back to you. The trailer is here but snowed in .

Pray for warmer weather so the snow all melts. And the mid week storm is not snow.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Now my last question is, should I go with the 2400# spring or the 2900# spring? I just noticed that the company Im looking to get them from has both for the same price.

It says on the site the 2900# spring has a 3.00 free arch just like the 1750# springs I have now on the trailer,where as the 2400# spring has a 3.19 free arch.

Which one to go with? Which one would you guys go with?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

First I would go with the 2900# springs it sounds like you are loaded to close to max. I would change the frame shakles to raise the camper if necessary. On my Zinger they used a shackle with a vblock welded inside,nice strong system. This gave 2 more welding surfaces to the frame.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
I wiil look in the next few days and get back to you. The trailer is here but snowed in .

Pray for warmer weather so the snow all melts. And the mid week storm is not snow.

i understand. i'm in the same boat with the weather.

thanks,

ed

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

bill,

i checked my shackles tonight. the part thats welded (three of them per side)to the frame and attatches to the leaf is 4" high. its about 3 1/2" to the center of the bolt from the frame. on the other end of the leaf has a 3-1/2"(its about 2 -/16" from center bolt to center bolt)piece of flat steel that attaches the leaf to the center three bolt triangle piece. post back when you can...no rush. thanks. -ed

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Ed, I checked my shackles today and the ones that were replaced are now 4" long the same as you have. I think the old ones were like 3" or so. I don't know what springs were put on hopfully the stronger ones. But since this work was done we have been ok. My dealer , Martins did the work and did a good job on it. But they got to big buying other dealerships and are not there any more. So you should be fine with the spring replacement. I hope you got all the bolts replaced. You don't want them to come off. I hope this helps you. Happy Camping Bill

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

bill, thanks for the info.