Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had problems with leaf springs flattening out? I have weighed my camper, and we are under weight. The rear axle leaf springs are a lot flatter that the front axle. They were replaced last year after a leaf spring failure.

I'm wondering if I should buy a stronger spring say a 3500lb spring instead of a 3000lb. The axle in 6000lb.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

6.0l Diesel

2008 Kingston KF34TB
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have not had that particular problem. I did have a spring break on my last TT. When replaced, the suspension dealer said that there is a BIG difference in quality spring steel and the steel used on cheaper versions from foreign countries. To the casual user, you can't really see a difference but the cheaper spring will flatten out. I don't know about getting a heavier spring since I am not a suspension expert. I would ask where the spring was made and get something with US made steel.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I did replaced all of my leaf springs. They had flattened out completely and the tires would rub on the top of the wheel well when hitting bumps.

I bought mine from etrailer and did go up to 2400# springs. Mine were originally 1750# springs. I also added the Equaflex too. It rides like a dream and I havent had any problems since I replaced them. My axles are 3500# axles.

If you do go up to a heavier spring, from what I had researched, you can make the ride stiffer and thus the trailer will hit bumps pretty hard, which in turn puts stress on everything inside the trailer. Thats why I added the Equaflex to mine, to smooth out the bumps with the heavier duty springs.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have the equaflex system on the trailer already from the factory. Thanks for your input.

Rick

6.0l Diesel

2008 Kingston KF34TB
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

rick, two of my 3500lbs. caused my tires to rub the bottom of the trailer. i gave randy at crossroads a call and he was aware of an issue with them. he sent out 4 5000lbs. (i think 5000lbs.) springs to the dealer where i bought my tailer from. give him a call.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I called Crossroads this morning, and spoke with Janet who sent my information to Randy, but I haven't heard from him yet. November of 2009 we has a leaf spring break going down the interstate. Crossroads took care of me, they have great customer service. I can't believe this is happening again!

Thanks,
Rick

6.0l Diesel

2008 Kingston KF34TB
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I had an axle replaced last spring and wanted to put heavier springs on at the same time, but I was told by the spring shop owner that it's not a good idea. He said that heavier weight springs would transfermore ofthe shock into the trailer frame and trailer because they wouldn't flex as much. He was willing to change them if I insisted on having it done but he said it would be a waste of money and wouldn't do any good to the trailer. I thought that my springs were running flat but he said that it was normal for a 5vr/TT.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Rick, does your rig tow nose high? If it doesit may be putting more weight on the rear axle than the front and maybe overloading the rear axle. The only way to tell is to weigh each axle individually. You usually don't get that measurement when you go to a public scale. You have to ask for it.

My rig tows about 3 inches high in the front and thatresults in my rear axle carrying about 800 lbs more than the front axle. My rear axle is still under the 5200 lb limit so I'm not worried about it. But I was surprized to see that big a difference in the load on the 2 axles.

If you were carrying a lot more load on the rear axle that may be flattening out your springs. Also when I am on flat ground with the nose high , my equaflex ispivoted forward at the bottom edge. I believe this will compress the front spring and flatten the rear spring. When my rig isunhooked and setting level as it is parked now the equalizer it straight up anddown. No pivot and the springs look the same. Hope this helps.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote