Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We were in a horrible rain storm this week and found the crank of the antenna was dripping. It looks like it probably was running straight from the outside antenna but we would like input on the subject. Has anyone else had the Problem. What do we do.

Sunset Trail 2008 27 RB

Ms. Linda
ldul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Never had a leak yet in my roof But I do inspect it and recaulk it every year. The best time to inspect it is just after you clean the roof.

To fix it, get some Dicor sealantand go on the roof and look for caulking that has cracked or is lacking.Then clean the spot with soap and water, spic n span works great to clean the roof. Then fill in the cracks or gaps with the Dicor sealant

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Yes I have had this also. Mine was the rubber boot that is over the hole where the coax enters the trailer. The rubber boot had slide up thecoax exposing the hole which allowed rain to run down the wire into the trailer. Another thingI found was thatI sealed around where the antenna mounted to the roof. The sealant was built up allowing the water to"pond" on top of the antenna then run inside. Hope this helps.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Rubber boot - according to my Winegard manual, the rubber boot can become brittle which could result in leaks. They suggest lubricatingat least twice yearly with silicone spray lubricant. From what I understand it has to be pure silicone - no petroleum products on rubber roofs. Ihad a hard time finding pure silicone, googled it and found that scuba shops (dive shops) sell it.I bought it in the grease form (pure silicone grease) and apply it with a Qtip.
DandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Had the exact same problem as scott. There was to much caulking around the antenna base that formed a damn and the boot that seals the coax had come up and the damn was high enough that water was higher than the place the coax went thru and water came in. My dealer found mine and removed some caulk to open the damn and put some caulk to hold the boot inplace. Edited by: FB1965

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

You can get a seal kit from Winegard. Not an uncommon issue.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

There are also little rubber washers inside the assembly itself that need to be silicone sprayed per Wingards instructions. If these go bad you'll need to buy a whole new crack set cost about $15.00.

The spraying / lubrication makes the cranking a lot easier.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
Had the exact same problem as scott. There was to much caulking around the antenna base that formed a damn and the boot that seals the coax had come up and the damn was high enough that water was higher than the place the coax went thru and water came in. My dealer found mine and removed some caulk to open the damn and put some caulk to hold the boot inplace.
Cursing caulking?????
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote