Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Leak Found! Have a question.

Sorry for the long post.-So we purchased our 2016 CAF25SE Cruiser Aire 5er last May so its still under the year warranty. As some of you might remember we had to have the awning and brackets replaced as soon as we got it because Crossroads put the wrong one on and the awning was coming down over the kitchen slide when out. Crossroads shipped us the new awning and brackets last May and they paid for the new one to be installed at Camping World. So, right after that we went camping and found water had got in and was in the open bottom area below the closet on the left as soon as you come in the door. We keep our shoes in the opening. Then I found the back window wasn't latched and was open about an inch so I chalked it up to that. I don't remember it raining any other time we went camping last summer. And we keep the camper in our 24X36 building when not being used. So, prepping for our up coming trip we took the camper out of our building and parked it in the driveway. This evening we received a down pour and it rained for about an hour. After, I went out just to check as I always do and there was about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the open closet. After getting the water up and checking to make sure the back window wasn't open again; which it wasn't. Later it started raining again and I went back out to the camper and found water was seaping in at the base of the wall where it meets the floor. So now Im thinking the screws that hold on the awning bracket or where the wire for the power awning comes in from outside isn't caulked good. So, my question is Im wondering what is in the wall where the leak is? Is it insulating or some type of foam. Im worried that mold might set up now. Should I have the closet taken down and the wall paneling removed to check for mold? Im hoping to get it back to have it checked before we leave next Tuesday. Im thinking they probably can't and I might have to pull all the screws out and recaulk with RV caulking and recaulk the wire access also if they can't. In the mean time we put the 5er back in the building due to more rain tonight and tomorrow. All opinions are appreciated.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Hole

Sounds like there is a screw hole that didn't get caulked or filled and the water is going into the hole and running down the inside of the wall. Personally, I would try covering all the bolts with caulking before pulling screws or brackets until you can get it back to the dealer. Hopefully if they had to screw new bolts into the RV, they put Christmas Trees with caulk in the old holes and not just stuffed them with caulk.

Good luck.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Christmas Trees ?? Are you talking about the plastic inserts?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 03-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Christmas Trees ?? Are you talking about the plastic inserts?
They are nylon plugs. The guy that moved my awning called them Christmas Trees. You can get them at HD, but if you are close to one of those smaller hardware stores with the pull draws, they usually have them in singles.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

That's what I thought you were talking about. So, called camping world this morning at 8AM and have an appointment tomorrow at 8:30 AM. So I'm guessing since the new arms were different they either had to make new holes and didn't caulk the old ones or it's where the wire from the awning goes through the side. That parts hidden behind the bracket when the awnings out. So hopefully all will get fixed tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I hope they find the problem for you tomorrow so you can enjoy your weekend. Another month before we can go anywhere here in New Hampshire. Well for me anyway. I don't have a tow vehicle, staying seasonal for another year.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

So yesterday the weathered cleared so I took the 5er out and decided to remove each screw one at a time on the awning bracket and clean out the old caulking; fill the holes with caulking and replace all six screws. Took the 5er to Camping World and they hosed down the camper for an hour and no leaks. But I also wanted to have the door checked because i noticed it was sticking out more in one corner and wanted to get it reported before the warranty runs out in May. They are ordering a new door because they said ours is warped and can't be fixed.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Well had another down pour last night. Checked the camper this morning.........and yep there had been some water had leaked in the same spot. Not as much as before though. So we will have to drop it off when we get back from the beach. Crazy Crazy!