Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We just got back from a week in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. Camping was great - the weather wasn't. Now to the problems:

1) Galley holding tank dump valve is leaking by - I know this from removing the end cap on the outside plumbing and getting a reintroduction to the dirty dish water. After some trouble shooting - I confirmed this was the case. I also noted that there is very little (almost) no resistence on the pull handle for the valve. Due to the covered underbelly of my 32SB I could not locate the valve to do a more thorough look-see. Any comments from the guys "in-the-know"? Is this a common problem with a fix? (So far I installed a 3" positive shut-off valve on the end of my outside plumbing - although this prevents the surprises - it does not fix the leaking valve problem).

2) The COBY DVD Combo unit fried 2 days out. Is there a recommended fix (I suspect the overwhelming response will be to throw the COBY junk to the curb) Any recommendations? This unit is more like the standard home style - it was not a "built-in".

Thanks.......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell

We just got back from a week in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. Camping was great - the weather wasn't. Now to the problems:

1) Galley holding tank dump valve is leaking by - I know this from removing the end cap on the outside plumbing and getting a reintroduction to the dirty dish water. After some trouble shooting - I confirmed this was the case. I also noted that there is very little (almost) no resistence on the pull handle for the valve. Due to the covered underbelly of my 32SB I could not locate the valve to do a more thorough look-see. Any comments from the guys "in-the-know"? Is this a common problem with a fix? (So far I installed a 3" positive shut-off valve on the end of my outside plumbing - although this prevents the surprises - it does not fix the leaking valve problem).

2) The COBY DVD Combo unit fried 2 days out. Is there a recommended fix (I suspect the overwhelming response will be to throw the COBY junk to the curb) Any recommendations? This unit is more like the standard home style - it was not a "built-in".

Thanks.......

OK after 8 months we found a significant anount from the gally after having dumped. This is what clings to the pipe!

The coby stuff, works great or dosen't. We have had both from Coby and just throw it to the curb when it doesn't. You can and should buy what you want.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Replaced the Coby on a trip with a low end Insignia from Best Buy. Couldn't stand the poor radio reception with the Coby and the lack of a true surround sound processor. Insignia works great, invested $99 for the full system. Being as I didn't want to replace the installed speakers, had to make sure I didn't get a receiver that had manufacturer proprietary speaker connections. Insignia had the type of connectors where you just insert the wires. Took 15 minutes to connect speakers and run setup. Now have a Coby receiver and the Insignia surround speakers, subwoofer, etc. in my basement. Anyone interested?

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On your dump valve, I'm afraid your going to have to open the underbelly to tighten the valve. Makes me glad I can get to everything on my camper.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have had some leakage and now valves are stuck open. I went to camping world and this is well worth the 22 bucks. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868

Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I had the same problem with my valves. Took it to dealership who said they had to adjust the cables. After two times, it still did not work and as Geoge did, I purchased a Twist on valve to save me from "surprises" when I arrived.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Same problem here, I just wish it was the galley tank.

I plan to remove the belly cover in the near future to see what I can do to fix the leaking valve and take care of acouple other things that need attention. The twist on valve from camping world is something to think about. Not only does it solve the suprise problem at the dump stationbut it can also give you more tank space if your shower and galley are on separate tanks. We always end up full on the shower tank and hardly anything in the galley tank towards the end of a trip. With the twist on valve you can open the galley and the shower valves and the tanks will equalize giving you more room.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Keep me posted on your luck when you open the underbelly. Mine is a fabric - so I am not sure about how to close up the opening on completion of the repair - do you glue it, sew it??? The valve I installed at the campground works well - but I would still like to sort out the other valves.

Thanks guys.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell
Keep me posted on your luck when you open the underbelly. Mine is a fabric - so I am not sure about how to close up the opening on completion of the repair - do you glue it, sew it??? The valve I installed at the campground works well - but I would still like to sort out the other valves.

Thanks guys.

I have taken down the underbelly cover about a third of the way to fix a sagging water tank. I had to remove the rear jacks and there is a rubber sealant of some kind that went on the cover itself around the jacks. Other than that thereare self tapping bolts andan aluminum trim piece that holds it in place. I don't think you should have to cut into it at all to gain access to the valves. I have read a couple of times that when the entirecover is removed it can be a real job getting it back in place. Could be a 2 person job I would imagine. Hopefully it won't be to long before I get that started and I'll let you know how it works out. The quicker I get that done the quicker I can get the new KingDome installed.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have wondered why Crossroads uses the remote cable activated valves anyway. To me it's much easier to use and service the valves on the end of the sewer line.

The idea looks good at first glance but an accident waiting to happen. If my cables ever quit working (in the open position I hope) I think I'll just re-plumb a conventional hand-pulled valve on the end of the sewer line.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

They put them under the covered underbelly to keep them from freezing in the winter when the unit is in use.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

I had the same problem that was fixed under warranty. I have no idea what the dealer did, but I do know that I have grease on the cables that wasn't there before. The problem is solved and the pulls work better than when new.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote