Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you leave your Rv plugged in all the time
Yes 62 74.70%
No 21 25.30%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
Site Team

For moisture a small circulating fan or a small dehumidifier draining into you kitchen sink will do the job. I do know a few campers that use the DampRid and like it.

http://www.target.com/p/eva-dry-elec...FYGhOgodLHYAmQ

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Looking at all the responses and the poll, verdict is:

PLUG IT IN...PLUG IT IN...
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Looking at all the responses and the poll, verdict is:

PLUG IT IN...PLUG IT IN...

Sounds like a country song.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Sounds like a country song.

Bet it would make a great commercial! Surprised someone like Glade hasn't thought of it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Ours stays plugged in for the 4 months we are south for the winter. Think about it for a minute. Ours stays plugged in year round.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer View Post
Hi All -

I had my trailer in for some warranty work (unrelated to this topic). While it was in, I mentioned in passing to the service manager at my dealer that my trailer is plugged in all the time (I have RV parking at my house). He said he would not recommend continuing this practice, as it is "hard on the converter". Instead he recommended plugging my fridge in directly to 110V (via the outside access panel) and keeping a charger on the battery. The main reason I leave the RV plugged in is to maintain the fridge, as we don't empty the fridge between our regular weekend trips/holidays.

I'm not sure that I really believe this; does anyone else have any thoughts?
Thats a nut of a service manager. I have 130 seasonal campers in my park who leave them plugged in for 6 months a year, year after year no issues.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

I was told it is hard on the converter and that it causes the cooling fan to stay on all the time. Unfortunately I don't have the option to leave it plugged in, but we use it so much that the battery stays pretty charged, and I leave the fridge doors and covered vents open to help with moisture.

Shoalwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwater View Post
I was told it is hard on the converter and that it causes the cooling fan to stay on all the time. Unfortunately I don't have the option to leave it plugged in, but we use it so much that the battery stays pretty charged, and I leave the fridge doors and covered vents open to help with moisture.
That advice is also incorrect. The cooling fan only runs when the converter is loaded down with alot of lights etc. If you notice when camping the converter is quiet, until you run lights, 12v fans etc. We have 130 seasonal campers who leave them plugged in with the ref. on etc. and their converters last years (most the life of the camper) I hope this will ease your worries, also sold by stage parkway is a battery disconnect with the flip of a handle.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Site Team

What happens when the Snowbirds are camping for 3-4 months straight??
In laws camped in Florida 4 months at a time with the same camper for 9 years and never had an issue.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #30
Seasonal Camper

I ran 30 amp service out to my shed about 6 or 7 years ago and my Cruiser has been plugged in year round ever since. The only time its not plugged in is when I am on the road. Added water to the batteries a couple of weeks ago, the first time in 4 years since I installed the pair of 6V. They haven't needed it before now.
I use a larger room size dehumidifier in the winter time since it gets a bit damp here. And I don't winterize beyond draining the tanks because I like to venture out in the winter. So staying plugged in is necessary. I guess I am saying, I don't see it as a problem. It would depend on how often you use your trailer and what you are using it for. If leaving my trailer plugged in for 7 of its 9 years has shortened the life of the converter, I am good with it. It was done in the manner that fit my usage.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

We live on a fairly steep hill and wanted to know how damaging it would be to the refrigerator to have it plugged in all night (the night before we leave on a trip). If we do not do that, it could take up to 6 hours for the fridge to cool down.
We have a 30 RE Sunset Trail.
Thoughts?
Thanks,

JW &CW
JW &CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW &CW View Post
We live on a fairly steep hill and wanted to know how damaging it would be to the refrigerator to have it plugged in all night (the night before we leave on a trip). If we do not do that, it could take up to 6 hours for the fridge to cool down.
We have a 30 RE Sunset Trail.
Thoughts?
Thanks,

JW &CW
These refrigerators use an ammonia gas with a heating element. They work best level as the gas heats it rises, as it falls over the cooling fins it cools. This wouldn't really damage it, it may not cool as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

RV Travel had a live web cast today and I posed that question. The experts in the conversation were Chris Dougherty, RV Tech and Mike Sokol, RV electrical expert. Both said there is no problem keeping it plugged in.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote