Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
New Camper

Leaving the refrigerator on

Hello-

We have a permanent site and are wondering how many of you leave your refrigerator running of electric power while you are away for the week, back on weekends or every other weekend. Just hate to bring food up each and every time we go. If we get any hot days will it take too much power, short out, as it may be trying to hard to keep things cool by running continuously? Or should it be okay. We are in Wisconsin so if we get some warm weather it has been mid 80's at most here and there during the day and 50's at night.
tswheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Don’t have a permanent site but I leave mine run at home from mid May when we start camping to the end of Sept when we’re finished camping. Did this with my other camper too. On longer hot spells I leave AC on too.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Not sure of the campground rules in your situation but most permanents or long term campers I know have a fridge outside that connects to the campground panel box via a separate cord to one of the 20A outlets. Depending on your needs you can get a full sized or college dorm size for your needs. Remember that any power disturbances might cause the fridge to shut down and that can cause some problems with spoilage, melted Ickies in the freezer box, and a smell no one should ever know. And the only way I know to fix that smell problem is buying a new fridge.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
New Camper

We actually bought land on a lake community and have electric that is our own, water and above holding tank. About .25 acres but 2 blocks from the lake and our beach club where we can also leave our boat.
tswheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Personally if we are going to use it in a week we leave it on if not we shut it off. I look at it this way. They are designed with a limited lifespan so why use it up when we are not using it. As stated this is my personal thoughts.

I would make sure to set it on AUTO so if the electric goes out it will switch to gas saving your food.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Personally if we are going to use it in a week we leave it on if not we shut it off. I look at it this way. They are designed with a limited lifespan so why use it up when we are not using it. As stated this is my personal thoughts.

I would make sure to set it on AUTO so if the electric goes out it will switch to gas saving your food.
I absolutely agree plus as, stated above, any hiccups and the food and unit are ruined. I don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I am at a seasonal site, and stay here continuously. But others come on the weekend. All I know of leave their fridge on electric the whole time. Full timers leave them on full time. I would also in your circumstances. Like dagst1 said, leave it on auto and make sure you have propane in your tanks in case there is a power outage.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
My fridge experience: We live on farm and have trailer shed for
rv and leave fridge on auto 24/7 year round. My first trailer was
Prowler 1996, kept it 10 years and fridge was good when sold.
Next rv is the one I have now, bought new in 2006, I had to replace
new fridge last year on it. Have no way of knowing if it would have
lasted longer by not leaving it on 24/7, any way it is always ready to
go when we are and when the home fridge gets overflowing the
rv fridge is always ready. Also a quiet getaway place for sipping
on a cold beer!

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote