Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

On our Cruiser we keep burning the conventional 3157 tail lightbulbs. I suspect the rough roads we travel .Today I purchased the LED 3157 bulbs at Autozone for 16.99 a pairwhich is a lot more than the regular ones. Has anyone used the LEDs and have seen an improvement to the regular 3157 bulbs?
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Haven't used the LED bulbs but we burned out two 3157 bulbs in a month. Water was getting to ours and shorting them out. We caulked the top of the light cover and inside where the wires run to the bulb. That seems to have solved the problem. Keep us posted about the LEDs

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

found that the bulbs from Autozone won't work as the light doesn't emit out of the side of the bulb only from the front. I found some wide area coverage bulbs on ebay that look like they will work. They cost a little over $8.00 a pair. I will let yall know how they work when they come in.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I installed the led upgrade kit form command electronics. They are much brighter than the stock. What is nice about them is they fit into the stock housing and they send new lenses. Here is a link to the kit.http://www.commandelectronics.com/led-tail-lights.html#surfacemount

2008 Cruiser 29RK
2005 Silverado 2500HD Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax
rgbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I changed out the bulbs with the ones from Ebay and they work great. I will see how they do on the next trip out Nov. 3-9. Will let you know.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The new bulbs worked great on the trip no problems and are bright.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I replaced the entire stock taillights with a LED set from Harbor Freight. They are for boat trailers and not very expensive but work fine on my RV. The LED's are built in and have no sockets to rust. They are completely waterproof. My problem before was blown bulbs due to water getting inside the stock taillights as someone else stated. The water got in because the taillight lenses are sometimes warpped and don't seal. The dealer offered to caulk them under the warranty but not replace them. When they are caulked it makes it tough to replace a bulb when you do need to. That's when I decided to replace the whole taillight.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
I replaced the entire stock taillights with a LED set from Harbor Freight. They are for boat trailers and not very expensive but work fine on my RV. The LED's are built in and have no sockets to rust. They are completely waterproof. My problem before was blown bulbs due to water getting inside the stock taillights as someone else stated. The water got in because the taillight lenses are sometimes warpped and don't seal. The dealer offered to caulk them under the warranty but not replace them. When they are caulked it makes it tough to replace a bulb when you do need to. That's when I decided to replace the whole taillight.
Help me out. I bought the Harbor Freight lights but did not end up installing them. The HF lights are much heavier. The stock lights, made by Bargman (I think) are light and primarily held on by a layer of caulking.

I'm assuming you put the HF lights where the stock ones were located. How did you attach them? Is there a layer of plywood behind the lights that would hold screws?

Checked them on the bench and WOW they are bright.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote