Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
New Camper

Left fresh water cleaner in tank

I was in the middle of cleaning the fresh water tank with a cleaner, when the battery died and needed replacing. Meanwhile, I had to leave the diluted cleaner in the fresh water tank.

Does anyone know if this could damage anything? No where does it say on the bottle, and there's no warnings. It will have to wait til the morning!
snowfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Why can’t you drain the tank. Should be a drain under the camper. Then refill the tank with fresh water and drain again.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Team

I would flush the tank and lines a couple times then follow with a box of baking soda mixed in a gallon of water add that to the tank then fill it and run water to all faucets. Let it sit overnight then drain and flush. You should be good to go.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfamily View Post
I was in the middle of cleaning the fresh water tank with a cleaner, when the battery died and needed replacing. Meanwhile, I had to leave the diluted cleaner in the fresh water tank.

Does anyone know if this could damage anything? No where does it say on the bottle, and there's no warnings. It will have to wait til the morning!

What were you using for a cleaner? I wouldn't think anything you could buy that was labeled as a fresh water tank cleaner/sanitizer would be to caustic.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I use pool chlorine about 2 Tablespoons 1 each in a gallon mixed and dumped into fresh water fill for 40 Gallons. Take the trailer for a ride to shake it around on a 2 mile drive. Then run pump until I smell chlorine at all taps both hot and cold. Let it set 48 hrs., and then dump everything through low point drains and fresh water tank drain. Refill tank with fresh, run pump to purge all hot and cold water lines. Let set 24 hrs. again and repeat. Never had a problem that way.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

You should be draining your tank using the drain on the underside of the tank. To flush, drain, fill, drain. You would only need to use your water pump to flush the water lines.
You should be draining your fresh water after each use, if it will be more than a few days till you use it. If you do that, generally you only need to sanitize once a year at un-winterizing (or less).
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
You should be draining your fresh water after each use, if it will be more than a few days till you use it. If you do that, generally you only need to sanitize once a year at un-winterizing (or less).

That would be great if they had put the drain on the bottom of the tank. BUUUT, they didn't . That leaves several gallons of water in the tank. Which will get skunky in time, requiring another sanitation.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote