Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Perfectly Level?

We delivered our RAM 2500 to the RV dealer from which we purchased our used 5th wheel Cruiser, so they could install the Reese 16K and make adjustments as needed.

While towing, the front of the Cruiser is high by 2-3 inches. Is this critical?

Cruiser GVWR 11860

Trailer Axle (loaded) 7340.

Truck Drive Axle (towing) 5240.

Truck Drive Axle (empty) 3320.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The advantage or disadvantage may be that after a night in the Walmart parking lot we end up closer to the foot of the bed.

DC
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't think that 2 or 3 inches high on the front of the trailer is that critical when towing.If the trailer clearance over your truck bedrails is relatively even from front to back then you should be ok. Our 5vr sits slightly front high when towing and it hasn't caused any driving or safety issues. When we got the trailer, we had to have the dealer raise the kingpin box about 2 inches thus lowering the front of the trailer on the hitch. I had this done to even up the clearance over the bed rails.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I am not completely sure ... but .. I think the big importance is that the refrigerator is level for the flame while running on gas and its operation while on the road. I would agree a few inches would not make that much of a difference but making sure you have enough room for room between the bed of the truck and the camper.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
I am not completely sure ... but .. I think the big importance is that the refrigerator is level for the flame while running on gas and its operation while on the road. I would agree a few inches would not make that much of a difference but making sure you have enough room for room between the bed of the truck and the camper.

It's not that critical for the fridge to be level when travelling compared to when parked. When the trailer is parked, you need the fridge level to prevent the ammonia gas from from forming a gas lock in the tubing which will stop the ammonia gas flow and the cooling in the fridge. When you're towing your trailer, the ammonia gas flow is less likely to form a gas lock because the constant vibrations from the movement of the trailer which helps to burp any gas lock that may form.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just a reminder for all of us that run the reefer or furnace on propane while tooling down the road to be sure to pull over and turn off the propane and propane operated appliances BEFORE pulling into the gas station or going through tunnels. Here is a link to a good blog on propane.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We have to cut the gas off often in our area of the country with all the tunnels. It's a pain to find a location to stop and relight the fridge and cut the gas back on to continue our trips.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Just a question. Why would you have to have your refer on while driving? I've towed many miles and my goods have yet to spoil because my fridge wasn't left running for 8 hours. If you want some sound advice, turn off your fridge while you travel and save you LPG then you don't have to worry about being perfectly level, as long as you have enough clearence between your truckbox and RV (roughly 6 inches i believe) then all is well.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeja

Just a question. Why would you have to have your refer on while driving? I've towed many miles and my goods have yet to spoil because my fridge wasn't left running for 8 hours. If you want some sound advice, turn off your fridge while you travel and save you LPG then you don't have to worry about being perfectly level, as long as you have enough clearence between your truckbox and RV (roughly 6 inches i believe) then all is well.

I'm in your camp and after many years have convinced my wife that we can keep the reefer turned off and things will stay cold. But if the temperature is above 80 degrees and I'm going to be on the road for more than 5 or 6 hours I will run the reefer just to be certain no food spoils. Some here want their adult beverage ice cold when they arrive at camp.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

My 30SK rides 3 '' high( measured at the frame)in the front when towing. It tows like a dream. The handling should be OK as long as you have at least 20% of the trailer weight on the pin. Using your numbers, I get 21% for your set up. As long as you have at least 6 inches of clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the 5er overhang you are good to go. Enjoy!

When I am parking overnight and don't want to disconnect the truck I slide my slider hitch back 12'' and that squats my truck bed down about 1 1/2' so my rig is pretty close to level.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG

My 5ver was high in the front (5-6 inches)and I lowered the hitch for a level ride. I noticed it handled a little better afterwards.

I hardly ever turn off my propane tanks. When I unplug my 5er the refridgerator is on propane until it is plugged back in at the CG. I have noticed that when I unplug, the gas comes on for the fridge and lights and then goes off. I was told by a dealer that if the refridge is cold, the propane may only come on once during a 4-5 hour trip if the refridge is not opened. I just never turn them off (propane tanks) unless absolutely necessary.

Adult beverages are in another small refridgerator.

Edited by: GeorgeG

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Ridgeman... Thanks for the input. I've got to try out the slider hitch.

Do you store anything behind the hitch? I was thinking of fastening a tool box close up to the tailgate.

Kamper Dave
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Kamper dave....I would be carefull adding anything next to the tailgate because when you turn the base of the pinbox swings. Mine comes real close to both the tailgate and sidewalls of the pickup especially when the slider is slid back. I have put lawn chairs there but they pretty much lay flat on the bed.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

You could put in a 12 to 14" high tool box with no problem as long as it sits on the floor. This is on a 2007 and newer truck.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Dave,

I have a4 drawer lockable tool box on one side of the bed. It is bolted down and just clears the pin box when I'm in a turn. It is 15 1/2 " high and about 8 '"wide. I got it at Northern Tool. I also have a potable tool box that is only about 13" tall and about 10" wide that sits on the opposite side of the bed. It is held in place by a couple of bungie cords. Both boxes sit back almost against the tailgate anddo not interefere with the slider in either the forward or rear postion.

When I am loaded down I also have 2 covered plastic storage bins that just fit behind the hitch when it is in the rear positon. They get filled with whatever else I need for the trip. Sometimes they are replaced by an ice chest or 2.

The sliders takes up a lot of space but with a little planning you can still geta lot of stuff in the bed.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Kamper dave....I would be carefull adding anything next to the tailgate because when you turn the base of the pinbox swings. Mine comes real close to both the tailgate and sidewalls of the pickup especially when the slider is slid back. I have put lawn chairs there but they pretty much lay flat on the bed.
Carefull with the lawn chairs. I had a couple under the 5th wheel hitch once. Hit a gust of wind and the chairs were blown out of the truck and went under the trailer. My wife was following and was able to miss the chairs. Lucky I did no damage to the trailer or cause an accident with traffic behind me.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Be careful with anything behind the slider hitch. I tossedmy leveling boards in the back once without thinking. When I went to slide the slider, the slider hitchpulled the boards into the tail gate and bent it enough that it was bent beyond repair... Luckily my insurance covered it under comprehensive so I was only out $100 for the deductible to replace the tail gate and straighten the hinges... Funny thing is, a year later I backed into a tree with the tail gate down and the insurance companysaid since I was moving it was a considered "collision" so $500 deductible.. Now I make sure I cover both bases, tail gate up and nothing behind the slider.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Good points about putting loose stuff behind the slider. They can move around or get in the way when your slide the hitch back. That's why the only things that go behind my slider are in coveredcontainersor boxes that I have measured and know they will fit and don't move around. I still do a quick walk around before I slide it back to make sure there aren't any items (like the hook up cord) in it's path.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Being level while towing is important as far as weight balance on the axles! High on front will put more weight on rear axle which will also increase tire wear. If the truck is not overloaded the distance between rails and fifth wheeler should be nearly the same front to rear when pin box is adjusted correctly. I see so many people towing their 36' or larger units with 3/4 ton trucks which are overloaded.

Thats just my humble opinion!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote