Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
New Camper

Smile Lighting problems on my pop up

Hi guys, I am having lighting issues with my tent trailer. Everything worked fine last year so I am assuming it's the trailer connection. I have bought a new tow vehicle and installed the quick connect trailer harness for the model. Everything seems fine on the car side. Trailer running lights are working, but intermittent problems with signal lights.Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Recently, they worked when brakes were applied only. I am not experienced with this sort of problem and have spent the last two days trying to resolve the problem. I have changed the plug for the trailer and it still did not fix it. Please help, this is ruining my vacation ! Thanks, Max
avalonmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Sometimes the bulb or socket will get covered over with film/corrosion/crude. Try taking the bulbs out and clean the ends of them. I usually just rub them briskly on my pants leg. For the socket it self, you can try and eraser on the end of a pencil, or some fine steel wool rubbed around down in the socket.

If you don't have one, get yourself a multi meter. Then you will be able to tell if there is any juice/DC current back there.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GZYF-Digi...eter/464398218
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Max. I agree with Lloyd's advice. You also might try cleaning the bulbs with a wire brush. Check the sockets too. If they take the old automotive bayonet style bulbs, you can try cleaning the sockets with one of the wire brushes shaped like a cone or Christmas tree that is made to clean battery terminals.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Dialectric grease is always a plus to have on hand as well after they are cleaned and working correctly.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I will go a different route and suggest you might have a grounding issue. Not exactly sure what quick-connect you are using but make sure there is a good ground. On some small trailers the ball hitch was the ground and then people greased the ball too much causing issues. Just a thought.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Process of elimination..hook a friends truck to your trailer and see if trailer lights work with his truck...if so it is your vehicle. And the other way, hook your truck to his trailer...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:52 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Sounds like a ground issue. Take a close look at the ground wire connections on both the tow vehicle and trailer sides. Remove the screws (if they aren't too rusted) and clean (wire brush, sand) the connections on both. If they're too rusted to remove, you've likely found the problem. Cut the wire at the connector, attach a new terminal and drill a new hole and attach with a new screw.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote