Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
New Camper

I recently purchased a Sunset Trail, 26rk, and Love it! I would like to rig-up a way to drain my fresh-water tank when coming home from camping. I know one can crawl under the camper and loosen the drain plug, but I would like to bring a line to the side of the camper. I have taken the drain plug off, but cannot figure out what the size of the plug is in order to purchase the correct size of elbow. Any help out there? thanks.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

i would take your plug to a hardware store and see what fits. maybe add some clear hose and a plastic valve(like the ones for the hot water heater bypass) and mount it to a peice of angle iron scewed to the frame. my buddy has a terry trailer and they use a 1 or 1 1/2 waste gate he drains his water in seconds compared to the small 1/2" hole i have in my tank.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I did this mod last year on my ST30BH, so will attempt to remember the details as my trailer is at the storage lot 30 miles away and can't send a picture. Pretty sure the elbow I used was 1/2". Bought that, the end drain valve,a few feet of clear plastic tubing, and 3 or 4 clamps to hold the tubing in place. Being as I couldn't run the tube straight out from the drain to the side due to the slide, I threaded it through a hole associated with the wheels (I think) then along the underside to where I could removea bolt that held the trim piece to the fabric of the underbelly, place a clamp in the same hole and reattach the bolt. I think I used 3 or 4 clamps along that lineto extend the tubing to near where the holding tank valves are. I cut the end of the tubing flush with the last clamp so the drain valve would be snug with the clamp and the tubing would not sag. Minimal time, minimal cost. So far, so good. Got tired of getting my shirts, pants, knees dirty crawling under the trailer to remove the original drain cap.

Hope this makes sense. Ask away if any questions.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks a bunch! I think, with your advice,I have something figured out. Happy camping!
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm not sure why you would want to drain your freshwater tank until the end of the season. Our ST26RK goes out almost every weekend. We usually have to add fresh water all the time. I pump all of my remaining fresh water into my black water tank when I flush it. That said I remain comitted to not adding any claptrap to a camper.

What you do need to do for the 26RK is to replace the suspension with an EquiFlex and you need to rework the larger storage drawers with better locks to keep them from flying open. The kitchen at the back of the 26RK takes a real beating from the highway potholes because of it's location at the back. Various owners have even had the spare tire bend the rear bumper from vibration and shaking. Don't even think about a rear mounted bike rack.

Been there.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2010 Cruiser 26RK with the EquiFlex suspension. It rides very smooth. I can leave a plastic cup on the rear counter and it will still be there when we get where we are going. We have left items on the table and they stay put. I am amazed at how smooth the ride must be. If you do upgrade to the EquiFlex be sure to do the wet bolt kit at the same time. I just upgraded my EquiFlex with the wet bolt. The only problem I had was one of the bolts had not been drilled properly. The horizontal hole was about 1 inch shy of the cross hole. I had read about some who had problems getting the wet bolts to take grease. I removed the grease zert and blew out the holes with compressed air to make sure there was no left over drill fillings. I did find some in one bolt and as stated found one that had not been completely drilled. The wet bolt kit comes from Lippert. I guess it was part of their ongoing quality control problems they are having
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

rcflyer - good idea. I installed the wet bolt kit at the same time I installed the EquiFlex. I'll go back and make sure all the bolts took grease. It's possible a few didn't. I assumes it was because of a tight fit but it's worth a check that they were all drilled properly. The ST26RK has all the kitchen on the back wall. Before the EquiFex we had the TV and DVD both come down; a ceiling light come out, drawers come out, a slew of china mugs got broken and the clock came apart. We take it pretty easy on the road too.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
rcflyer - good idea. I installed the wet bolt kit at the same time I installed the EquiFlex. I'll go back and make sure all the bolts took grease. It's possible a few didn't. I assumes it was because of a tight fit but it's worth a check that they were all drilled properly. The ST26RK has all the kitchen on the back wall. Before the EquiFex we had the TV and DVD both come down; a ceiling light come out, drawers come out, a slew of china mugs got broken and the clock came apart. We take it pretty easy on the road too.
An easy way to check is remove the grease zerts. Stick a small drill dit into the hole and measure the depth. If one of them is much less in depth you probably have a problem.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote