Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Main light switch???

Can someone please tell me why with all the great things that are in the Crossroad Trailers and Fifth Wheels. Why did they put the switch for the main lights when you enter inside the small cabinet with all the other controls. Seems very strange that when you enter your rv you first have to open a small door in the dark to turn on the lights. Are all the Crossroad models all like this or only the Cruiser,s. Has anyone moved their switch to just below that door so as when you go in your RV in the dark. There it is right in front of you. It would be an easy move as long as there is nothing below that door .in the wall. There must be a reason... MMMMMM

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CLX 26RKX
1997 2500 Silverado
6.5 Turbo Diesel
53,000 Miles
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have wondered that same thing myself...Especially since their are a few other switches and things in there, so sometimes you're fumbling for the right one.... Since then, I have added 2 battery operated motion sensor lights. One right inside the main entry door, and one right above the bathroom door (inside the bathroom) The nice thing about these lights is that they also only turn on when its dark, so their not going on and off all day, killing the batteries.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree. What I did is put a 14” strip light around the top inside the cabinet with a door switch that turns on when you open the door. At least it lights up the control area. Then it was actually to much light so I took a brown permanent marker and colored the lights to a more moderate brightness.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Done that and thought that too! I did move my switch to just to the right side of the cabinet. Much easier to access when coming into the rig.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
New Camper

That was the first design flaw I had to address. Mine is not behind a cabinet door but with so many switches it is difficult in the dark. My bedroom light is on a separate switch below the cluster so I added two led motorcycle license plate lights to the panel powered by the bedroom switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200726_094913[1].jpg (128.0 KB, 30 views)
and our Redbone Coonhound, Ellie.
Cape Girardeau, MO
EricR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR View Post
That was the first design flaw I had to address. Mine is not behind a cabinet door but with so many switches it is difficult in the dark. My bedroom light is on a separate switch below the cluster so I added two led motorcycle license plate lights to the panel powered by the bedroom switch.
Great idea!!! I've been looking for illuminated when off rocker switches but I like your solution much better. It lights up the whole panel.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

I used a plug in motion light just inside the door, simple, no wires to run & was very bright.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
New Camper

I think I'm going to use the motion light idea. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Great idea for front and back door!
and our Redbone Coonhound, Ellie.
Cape Girardeau, MO
EricR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Mine are on the side of the entertainment center, just across from the door when I enter, within reach from the top step before I enter. I've entered so many times in the dark I know right where to reach to find the switches for the lights.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Team

I don't bother with the light switch. Easiest thing to do is leave 1 living room/kitchen light on when you leave. Problem solved.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I don't bother with the light switch. Easiest thing to do is leave 1 living room/kitchen light on when you leave. Problem solved.
That would work if hooked to electric , but most sites I get are non electric...stick on closet type light just inside door works.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That would work if hooked to electric , but most sites I get are non electric...stick on closet type light just inside door works.
It still works as the lights are 12 volt.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It still works as the lights are 12 volt.
I know they all do but when not hooked to power , lights wear down the battery , some times I dont bring the solar panel, so have to conserve.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Did something Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR View Post
I did something similar except mounted a battery operated light next to the panel because I cant see what I am doing even when the lights were on. I very much like the idea of a motion sensor light. Might have to do that as well.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Ran this by the wife and she said that all the time we have had ours that has never been a problem. As she says she knows where the door is and when opened where the switch is. And with it being close to the door usually there is some light from outside.. Just saying.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #16
New Camper

Smile Cabinet Covers Switches and Monitors

When I bought my '07 ST I thought that was one of the dumber things I had ever seen. Second thing I did to my brand new trailer, right after I replaced the mickey mouse toilet it came with, was to unscrew the screws holding that cabinet in place and put it on the shelf in my garage, was able to use some of it later on other projects. You had to really look to be able to see the screw holes in the wall and all the switches and monitoring equipment was easy to get to for the next 13 years. Sometimes I actually come up with something good when I don't start overthinking it. When word got out on the forums back then a bunch of the guys did the same thing.
Happy Camping, Paul

aka Paul

'07 ST19CK

'08 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado
paulhodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Crossroads must have finally listened,we just traded for a 2020 268rl and it has a motion sensor light when you come in the camper,just have to remember to switch it off when you go to bed or if you get up in the middle of the night it will come on and wake up whoever is asleep,,but a great feature!!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W. View Post
Crossroads must have finally listened,we just traded for a 2020 268rl and it has a motion sensor light when you come in the camper,just have to remember to switch it off when you go to bed or if you get up in the middle of the night it will come on and wake up whoever is asleep,,but a great feature!!
My 2019 291RK also has this motion light above the door. It is pretty handy, I wish the light under the stairs was on a light sensor instead of the awning light, not sure how easy it would be to rewire and figure that out.

Ron
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
New Camper

We leave the kitchen lights on in our Cruiser when we store the 5th wheel. The light, of course, goes off when my husband disconnects the battery. When we get to the campground he connects the battery and there is light in the 5th wheel because we left that switch on.
Cindyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:32 AM   #20
New Camper

I agree that this is a rather inconvenient design. Several times I have already fallen, trying to find the place of the switch in complete darkness. Therefore, for the first few months, I taught myself to carry a flashlight with me.
bushidojo is offline   Reply With Quote