Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Major roof issue

2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve ST26RB.
Well, I had just begun moving the materials needed to the roof of my camper to install a new maxxair fan in place of the non fan roof vent,, and I even threw a board up there so I wouldn't be straining the roof.
I leaned on the outer corner of the roof, just behind the cap seam and it gave way. I did not put any weight on it. It simply gave way, like the roofing sub-material was not long enough or attached at the cap. Sigh, I really am disliking Cross Roads right now. And I sure wish I had my Lance back.
I am thinking now I'm going to have to bolster it somehow underneath, perhaps spray some expandable foam between the ceiling and the roof material.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair this type of thing?
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

My guess, if you want to go from underneath ( likely a closet ceiling area an cut a an access hole, send in a screw retaining strip and then rescrew from the top to grab the retaining strip or a similar procedure from the top.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The only way to do any repairs from the top would be to remove the front cap, or cut into the rubber roof. I would really like to avoid both of those. It's not going to leak as is, as the roof rubber is intact, but about a square foot area has no support for the rubber, and will probably collapse if a tree branch hit it, or snow accumulated (it will be sheltered this winter).
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Roof Issues

It is interesting that you are having a problem with your roof on your Sunset RV. We have had our RV at 3 different dealers & all 3 dealers told us the rubber on our roof is coming up & the wood underneath is rotting! We took our RV to the dealer where we bought it & they looked at it & assured us that there is NO PROBLEM with our roof, however reading issues about others having issues with their roofs make me very very nervous. How can 3 dealers find the same issue but the dealer where we bought it told us the people do not understand how the rubber roofs work. We were told when it gets hot it expands when cold it shrinks back. We paid for the dealer to replace the rubber stripping & that will take care of what they are seeing at other dealerships. Who do we believe?? Raises a question for sure.
Bonnie Scott
BJSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
New Camper

Zinger rd19 roof

Hello from Victoria bc
I too have softening of roof deck in passenger side front and driver side back. I am having rubber roof taken off and replaced with Sei product over plywood. Workmanship guarantee for six years and product for ten. Look up Sei as it is a franchise. Much less than doing your whole roof. They can also repair only the areas of concern
aforstersal is offline   Reply With Quote