Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I am considering upgrading my tires to load range e's on my next set of tires. I have the 15X6 inch aluminum alloy wheels that Crossroads provided as an upgrade to my 07 30SK.

Does anyone know what the max pressure rating is for those wheels. Most e rated tires have a max rating of 80 PSI and I don't know if my wheels are rated to hold over 65 PSI.

I looked at the back side from under the rig and I can find the max weigh rating but not the max PSI rating. It may be stamped inside the wheel andhave to remove the tire to find it.I know many of you have upgraded to e tiresfor the15' wheels . Where did you find the Max PSI rating?

Thanx, Kurt

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Kurt, I was in the same position last Nov (the PSI rating is not on the rims) so I called the wheel manufacturer. The tech said the rims are rated for 80PSI with Steel stems. I installed Maxxis "E" tires and steel stems and have had no problems with 80+ PSI.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Stan,

I wonder why they don't stamp the PSI rating anywhere on the wheel.I did see that they were made in China stamped on the wheel .

I'm looking at that same Maxxis load range E tire. Best deal I have found so far is $542 shipped to me , thenadd another $80 to $100 to mount/ balance and new steel stems. My local Discount Tire store wants $759 out the door for 4. That's a lot more thanI have seen posted on this forum. But I guess prices always go up, even if the government says the CPI hasn't gone up in 2 years. Got any tips on places to getdeal??

I would stick with the load range D tires as they are rated to handle my load, BUT my wear pattern tells me otherwise. All 4 of my tires are worn twice as much on the inner and outer tread as they are in the middle. That normally is a symptom of an underinflated tire or an overloaded trailer. I'm sure the rig is not overloaded and I have always had mine inflated tothe max 65 PSI. I have read several tech articles that have stated it was OK and in some cases advisable to go 5-10 lbs over the max pressure listed on the tire. But because my Mission tires have such a bad rep on this and other forums, Inever dared to excede the 65 PSI. So I figured the E range tires will give me a little flexibility to work with the higher PSI if needed to maintain even tire wear. I suppose my wear pattern could be just because the Missions are poor quality. How did your factory tires wear? Were they Missions?

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I can't imagine a aluminnum rim "blowing out" before any rubber tire especially when talking 10-20 PSI.One would think that there would be a "Safety Factor" of 2-3 times anyhow.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I got mine at the Discount Tire store for $450 out the door last Oct. I had Tomax Powerking tires originally. My RR tire wore a ring around the inside tread and I originally thought I had a bad alignment on that wheel. I moved it to the RF and it still wore so I replaced all 4. The new tires have about 8000 miles now and they are all wearing normally. I am thinking now it may have been just a bad tire. I would have thought that if it was a loading issue, both tires on the same side would have worn the equally.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Wow $450, talk about inflation! When I saw your post I thought maybe theprices in your area were a lot less than here. So I checked the Discount Tire store in Everett on line and they want$792 out the door. Even more than my local Discount Tire.That's a 76% increase in price in one year. Guess it must be supply and demand. Seems everybody wants the Maxxis tires with the good rep because of the junk they are putting on our rigs at the factory.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Your post got me to wondering if my memory was wrong so went and pulled my receipt from Discount Tire in Burlington, WA. Tires were the M8008 series ST225/75/15 E and were 85.00 ea plus 100.00 for tax, stems, balance etc. Total bill was 443.26. Guess I was lucky I got them when I did!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Stan, You sure were lucky! I just ran the price at that same store and they are now $785.20 out the door. Guess I should have bought some last year and stored them in the garage. I was starting to look at tires now with a plan to buy some next spring after my winter trip down south. But maybe I should consider picking up some now even if I don't need them yet. They maywant a grand for a set by next spring!!

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Check out on-line stores. Gripston.com has them for 136.00 each with free shipping. Might save a little.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

The higher oil goes the more tires will cost. I priced some tires last month and they went up $35 a tire as of last Friday.