Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
q16
New Camper

Mice in ceiling

I have mice running around in my ceiling and need to know how to gain access to place mouse traps. Unless someone has another option to try.
I have a crossroads rezerve 2015 travel trailer 29rl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
q16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I don't know much about the Rezerve but I have a had a bit of experience with rodents.

Use pure peppermint oil on cottonballs to help keep them out. Posion is not the best answer as they tend to die in very unaccessable spaces (I had one with a nest on top of a radio) so I had to take cabinets apart, etc. to clean out the mess.

Quatanary ammonia will help sanitize spaces and remove the odor but not until you get all the crud out. Plug the holes where you find them with steel wool and rodent foam (available at the big box stores, etc.).

I've got to pull a furnace out of mine since I had a critter come up a water line and build a nest inside the furnace (smells terrible when the furnace comes on).

Good luck on getting that critter out. Sometimes the best you can hope for is to drive them out with the peppermint oil (FreshCab seems to work well). Start looking for places to take down grates, pull down lights, etc. to put your traps up.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
q16
New Camper

Much appreciated
I will give it a try
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Do you have speakers in the ceiling? If so remove the speaker and set a trap or 2 around the speaker opening in the roof. Tie a string to the traps in case they move out of reach once a mouse is caught.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you have a skylight, remove the inner part (just some screws) and you have access to the ceiling.

The skylights usually consist of the top part, which is outside on the roof, and the inner part. I have removed ours in order to put some reflectix up there as I do not want a skylight. Too much light and heat come in. It's easy to put back with the screws too. You may want to leave it off for the mouse season so you can empty the traps.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Team

If you have a small cat, put him up in the ceiling also.

Just kidding. Loneoaks advice is perfect. I would add string to the traps, I've seen some mice crawl off with them, and if they do, that would be a smelly mess.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

"Stickie Traps" w/ a bit of bait(peanut butter) in center AND Yes with a string to pull trap back to your opening. Never want missing dead rodents smelling up camper.
One captured family member brings rest of family to "stickie" & even w/ only one leg not stuck rodents can move traps
Old 10-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

On ours, even the inner part of the bathroom skylight is boxed in with white paneling, so no access to the attic. The only access I had was by removing several of the ceiling speakers. I used sticky traps and to keep the insulation from getting stuck to the trap, I used several small wood blocks to keep it above the trap.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
New Camper

I would like to suggest you to use peppermint oil on a cotton ball to get mice out of your house. I had an experience of dealing with large amount of rodents at my house, I was getting very fed up, as they were shearing all over curtains and bed sheets. Than One of my neighbour suggested me to call pest control rats Sacramento to get rid of this problem. If You need, you can also take help from them or can contact them at:- http://californiarodentcontrol.com/
francesprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Site Team

I've considered renting out "Killer." Holly has 8 confirmed mouse kills plus a dozen moles and 4 birds.

Notice the glowing eyes. She hypnotizes her prey with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holly5.jpg (396.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Holly4.jpg (245.8 KB, 4 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron View Post
Tie a string to the traps in case they move out of reach once a mouse is caught.
X2! But make the string fairly short and tie off on a screw so it can't go to far. It could be hard to pull it back out if it gets tangled on wires or the rafters in the roof. Had a mouse over the winter that managed to just get it's hind quarter caught in a snap trap. When I went to check the traps one was missing. I found it on the other side of the trailer in the basement. It had tried chewing it's way out of the trap but the trap still held on to it! It also managed to make it's way through a maze of everything in the basement (chairs, storage bins, etc.).

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I had mice in the ceiling of my last RV. I could hear them running at night, back and forth. I put traps in the air return which was behind the inverter. My theory was the mice were crawling up the wires into the rest of the coach.

I caught one to two every couple of days. I had 4 traps in there. They give birth to an average of 6-8 babies every 19-21 days. I've tried the sonic things plugged into the walls. I covered every opening I could with metal fabric, that 1/2" square stuff. They still got in. I found out they get into the underbelly through the holes in the frame the slide rails run through. I'm not even going to tell DW that part.

Good luck, I hope you get them all soon.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
TDG
Seasonal Camper

I found the best is a large real kill sticky pad for rats
And a table spoon of peanut butter in the middle of the pad. I have placed them near food source and air return ducts. Or just in a cabinet
So far. In 3 yrs. Sticky pads 17 excapes 0
Try that. They can't get away and love peanut butter.
Smooth or crunchy they like both.

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by q16 View Post
I have mice running around in my ceiling and need to know how to gain access to place mouse traps. Unless someone has another option to try.
I have a crossroads rezerve 2015 travel trailer 29rl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know this is a year late, but maybe someone else will like our solution: Get an electronic rodent and roach repeller that plugs into the wall. We had two little guys who moved in with us (One I accidentally caught in the covered waste basket and summarily through the tied bag out the door! The other climbed up on the stove to visit while munching on who knows what crumb - yuck!)

Anyway, from the moment we installed the little unit that emitted some kind of sound that we couldn't hear, we had no more trouble--unless, of course, you count the elk that also visited after that.
cesmart6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #15
New Camper

2014 Cruiser fifth-wheel:
If rodents already there, traps in drawers and compartment where needed to rid & clear all. Then ensure all water & wiring holes from underbelly-to-cabin are sealed off full ( sealant/wire mesh). I wire screened all heater vents in cabin, as well. Manufacturer's have not decided that this rodent and/or bug sealing step is a Quality market sales benefit, so far...I've had campers since I was twenty-three, now sixty-six, and we will not purchase again until an RV company figures out how easy it is to build in rodent-less features in their RV design plans. Idea to them - ask your customer base what is needed in Design-Quality with easier RV care in mind. Thank you.
Ceagle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
q16
New Camper

I agree. The manufacturer leaves holes three times the size of wires running through. Would be easy to fill holes at time of build.
I have spray foamed and steel wools every holes I can find and use the electronic plug in device and traps. They still are winning the fight.

I appreciate all the ideas.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Just a thought on a place to seal up. I don't know if your Reserve is made like our Sunset Trail but at the bottom of the front cap where it wraps around to the bottom of the trailer I had a gap of 1/4" to 3/8" across the entire width of the trailer. I took a flashlight and could see right up into the front cap and see the insulation and quite a ways up inside. It would be an easy entrance for unwanted visitors. I sealed it up with black silicone. I also sealed up the entire perimeter of the underbody membrane along the frame, spring hangers and rear bumper bracket areas. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote