Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi All - recently traded in our old Sunset Trail 22' for a 2012 25' with the Reserve package and outdoor kitchen. Love the new camper but I have a couple of issues I hope someone can advise me on:

- The microwave in the new camper works sometimes and then doesn't work. I took the camper in for service to the selling dealer and they checked it out and told me it works fine. It does not work fine. This microwave is made by High Point who I think is a British company. Our old microwave was a Dometic, best one we ever owned. Does anyone have experience with this brand of microwave?

- The new camper weighs about 1800 lbs more than our old camper but still well within the F150's limit. I pull it with a 2009 F150 5.4. I am now experiencing some sway and I am uncomfortable at any speed over 65. I have a weight dist hitch and friction cam anti-sway device which I tighten about as tight as I can manage. The truck and trailer both sit level so I think it is set up correctly. I don't want to throw money at the F150 ina futileattempt to make it an F250. Would a sway/torsion bar across the F150's rear axle help? I added rubber bushings (Timkens??) but did not notice much if any improvement.

Thanks
twaynedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Can't really help you on the micro other than maybe something either wrong with the power delivery (plugged inall the way, outlet wired correrctly, bad internal electronics)My suggestion would betake a video with your phone next time you have an issue to share with your dealer.

As for the sway...Many factors go into this set-up from correct distribution bar size / weight rating to how theball is tilted.

How you load the trailer weight on the rear vs. weight on tongue. How much weight are you loaded?

Being your at the high side of your truck ratings, you may want to trade your set-up in for a Reese Dual Cam or the Equa-l-izer brand name set up. In my experience the RV dealers are not the place for a proper hitch set-up but a true hitch store is. The type of stores that sell hitches, cargo trailer parts, pick-up truck accessories like plows, light bars, tool boxes, bed caps, etc.

This is the place I use(d) for all my towing needs and the type of place you might want to look into.

http://www.mttllc.net/Towing.html

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Dave on the sway issue. First thing I would do is weight the new trailer on a scale and then see what the hitch weight is. Typically, you want 12 - 15% of the total trailer loaded weight on the hitch.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

X2 with what Dave said. We had the Reese dual cam on a 29 ft TT and it virtually eliminated the sway.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

;t to say it . your tires are only rated for 65 mph Also your tires may be closer to the max rating. Afriction sway control on 25ft is not enough. I would do as suggested here.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Next time your TT is hooked up to the truck push sideways on the rear corner of the bed and check your tires for movement. If you see the tires move you may want to go with a 10 ply tire. Tires are a big factor of sway. Another factor is loading the front of the TT instead of the back. I pack as many things up front as I can to avoid sway from having things loaded in the back.
Edited by: sking
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I had the same issue on a microwave we owned in the past. It ended up the wire nuts were loose on the rv outlet powering the microwave.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all who responded. Some very good advice.
twaynedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Anti-sway bar(s) on the tow vehicle always help the ride, as do good (premium) shocks. I run Helwig sway bars front and rear and Bilstein shocks on our 2500HD. Anytime youupgrade the suspension/safety components of a tow vehicle, you are not wasting your money, and a rear sway bar is surprisingly affordable. Check out www.summitracing.com for pricing.

Additionally, tire pressure on both the tow vehicle and the travel trailer is critical to proper handling. As is the suggestions of the folks above.

Have you cleaned the bar on youranti-sway device ? Do a search as to cleaning methods. As far as them being inadequate, I doubt that. I have been in a hurricane pulling a 28 ft bumper pull with a friction anti-sway bar and a good weight distribution hitch and haven't had any issues.

Granted our truck is a crew cab and has a longer wheel base, which makes it harder for the tail to wag the dog. However there areother factors that should be looked at first (air in tires, etc) before spending money.

As I mentioned, good/premium shockson the truck. The additional weight / lengthof the trailer can magnify shortcomings in components of the tow vehicle.

Additionally as the other folks said, you need to stay at 65 or belowwith the STdesignated tires, which may not be the best in the world (probably from China).

You should take microwave into the house and see how it functions inside so you can work out whetherthe problem is in the microwave or the trailer, as the folks above have suggested it could be.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook

You should take microwave into the house and see how it functions inside so you can work out whetherthe problem is in the microwave or the trailer, as the folks above have suggested it could be.
I like this idea to help narrow the potential issue area. Micro or trailer

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote