Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi all , we are proud owners of a 09 ST27RB , however not so proud of the tires that came with it . i know this has been discussed before ,but i would like to here some details good or bad about these tires . did your tires go bad within a few months , did they blow out while driving 65 MPH or less and what is or was the most common problem with them other then being made in China?

because of previous posts , i priced some new tires by Carlyle . ,about $400 for a set . i'm not a frugal person , so the money doesn't matter . i guess i hate getting rid of tires that only have 5000miles on them . there is no signs of cracks in the sidewalls ,no signs of bad treadwear or pulling apart of the treads . i constantly tow at 60 -65MPH and heat buildup is minimal .

our TT is really a nice unit built by Croosroads . it would have been greater with some American rubber underneath it .any thoughts or comments are welcome with sincere thanks
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The Missions that came on our trailer did not last 5k miles before two begin to have the belts seperate. Never pulled over 65 mph and the air pressure was always checked before each trip. Having to spend $600 to $700 on a new set of tires after owning the trailer 6 months did not make me happy.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Are Carlye made in USA? I ask because I don't think they are.I have a 09 Cruiser with the Mission tires and have done the reading on this site also.My tires have been on for just over 2 years and they took us to Yellowstone and back last June,about 5400 plus miles round trip.I keep 65 psi in them and check them before any trips over 50 miles.They haven't shown any bad wear yet and they may go out tomorrow, but so can any that I could buy.I try not to dewell to much on what problems a few have had even if I know their problems are real. The percentage of tires that we read about on forums are very small and you always hear the bad first but if its normal wear as is expected you don't hear anything about them.I will be taking another 5-6000 mile trip this June and several 100-500 mile trips during the summer.Unless I have a problem with a tire,these will be taking me back toward Yellowstone and if there is a problem with one, I will buy new ones.Other than this I will keep correct pressure in them and check during the season.I'm not sure I can buy a tire that isn't made in China for a camper anymore.This is my thoughts and comments that you ask for.Have a good camping season and enjoy your camper.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Team

I put a set of Goodyear Marathons on last year. They are stamped on the side "MADE IN USA"

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
New Camper

It's cheaper to buy tires than to repair your trailer and still have to buy them. Look at the maxxiss tires.

swampeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have three full seasons camping on my original set of Missions. We usually head out in early March for two or more months and then again in September for 6-8 weeks. Several trips have been for 5,000+ miles towing at 60-65 MPH and always maintaing the recommended 50 lbs. pressure. I estimate a total of at least 25,000 miles on these tires. Last fall when 200 miles from home on the return I noticed one of the tires had worn the tread off the inside edge but only half way round the tire. Took the wheel off at the campground using my Traileraide and stopped in at Discount Tire. They said the unusual wear was due to the tread starting to separate. Mounted a new tire (can't remember the Chinese brand, only $65) and continued on home. The other three Missions look very good for the miles and I think I can get another season out of them. Then, I intend to put on a set of Maxxis. I don't load up my trailer, it's probably 6,000 lbs.,and perhaps that's why I've had what appears to be better luck with the Missions than others?

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I had six full seasons on PowerKing Tow Max about 20,000 plus miles. They still looked good when I changed last summer. I put Goodyear Marathon made in the good ole USA. I hope I have as good luck with them as I did with the PowerKing.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We were at an RV show yesterday. Went to a session on the Top 10 maintenance items. One of the points was on tires. Intersting thing we did learn, is all tires have a DOT stamp on them...the LAST 4 numbers are week/year that is made. Many times you may buy a new RV and the tires could already be 2-3 years old.

They did say to stay clear of Mission, has there have been lots of negative reports. To stick with US companies, as the US has a higher standards requirements. Someone did ask about US companies that make them overseas. He said that those should be fine, as they are still required to have them made to US standards.

The person giving the seminar is the RV Doctor.

jemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I've got 4 years and about 15-16,000 miles on my Missions.So far so good.No blow outs. However 3 of the 4 are wearing more on the out side edges than the centers. Normally that is an indication of an underinflated tire, but mine have always been inflated to the 65 PSI max. The tires are not overloaded. I know because I've weighed the rig.

Tire manufacturers recommend changing ST trailer tires after 3-5 years regardless of tread remaining. With Missions reputation, I figure I am about due to get some new ones. When I return home from my current trip in the spring I am replacing them with Maxxis load range E's.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Our did come with missions also. I had to look up what they were. We were new to RV world and did not really pay attention to the tires.

Ours lasted 2 1/2 years..they were replaced about 1000 miles into a 2000 mile road trip, as we discovered a bulge and then we drove to a Cooper Tires store and had them looked at. We were in the middle of Utah. We only had maybe 3-4,000 on them at that time.

jemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I was at my local tire shop today inquiring about upgrading my tires on new unit. Its coming with 235 80/16 Mastertracks and I asked the tire guy about the Goodyears and he explained to me that I should go with the 235 85/16 because the 80's are strictly trailer tires and many dealers (in my area [i suppose]) don't stock them and may take 24 to 48 hrs to get in (**not good when your on the road). the 85's are truck tires and are more common and usually stocked at local tire shops. He also suggested the the Coopers (also 85s) are a good tire too. He can get Maxxis but he said he doesn't normally deal with those and I'd be looking at over $200 bucks a tire. The 80 series are almost 31" in diameter and the 85s are almost 32" in diameter. Has anyone else heard of this or has anyone got 85s on their unit?? Do they fit?

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I know it is not a Cruiser butI went from 80's to 85's on our PP so I could go with LT tires and we had no problem. Now after it was said and done I measured and it was only a 1" difference between the two tires not a 2".
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Hunter11: Are there any clearance issues under the trailer? Did you find the 85s are more readily available? Were they cheaper? My tire guy said the 85s are about 25 bucks cheaper because they're more common

Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

No clearance issues on our trailer we had plenty of room but then again I don't know the differences between the PP and Cruiser. Yes in this area the 85's had a much better variety of choices. I never priced any 80's for our trailer so I cannot tell you a price difference. I paid about $650 for a set of four BFG Commercial TA's and knock on wood they have been many times better than the Missions that came on the trailer.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I'm not sure what to do... the 85s would be nice for the availability and since my truck sits quite high it may help level it out.... but the new cruisers are getting quite tall and add some maxx airs up top and I'm sure it puts it over 13'. Anyway, I still have 2 months to decide before I pick up the rig... I might even run the factory tires for a season (keeping a close eye on them) and upgrade next year
Thanks for the info.