Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

mounting tv

We have a 45 lb tv. We would like to mount it. We bought a mount for up 80 lbs. Weight wise, the mount should hold the tv.

However my concern is, will the wall hold up ? When we travel, will the tv, and/or mount bounce around and damage any of the 3? (Wall, mount or tv ?

Thanks,

Fawn
Foreverfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would say be careful. Our little TV is about 12lbs, and gets bounced around a lot during travel. The mount sounds sturdy, but understand it is designed to screw into 2x4 studs. You might get lucky and hit some 1x lumber in your RV. Here's what I'd do if I needed to have a TV that big: 1. Mount a big, long board across the area you want to mount it to, and secure it to as many structural members (studs, TV mounting board, etc) as you can. 2. Before you screw it to the wall, secure the back side of the TV mount to the board, with heavy bolts and countersunk lock washers and nuts on the back side. 3. Do whatever you can to minimize "jostling" while on the road. We place the Styrofoam end pieces out of the box on the TV, which wedges it to the wall. Others use bungee cords. Whatever you can do to hold the TV still, especially up/down movement. 4. You might even consider dismounting the TV during highway travel, and hanging it up and plugging in the cords only while parked. Good luck.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The studs are aluminum and you should still be able to locate them with a stud finder. If you see the seam tape where two interior panels meet, then there will be a stud at the seam and again at least every 16" either side of the seam. Also, if you use a strong light and look carefully, you will see a few small nail holes covered with caulk at each stud.

So, you need to determine how many studs are potentially available. As already suggested, you need a plywood backer board that spans as many studs as possible and secure it with sheet metal screws. Make the backer board as tall as possible as well. lDrill a small pilot hole at each stud to verify before drilling larger holes. Just don't over tighten the screws or they will strip out the thin aluminum stud.

Finally, if there is a factory option for a wall mounted TV for your floor plan and you can inspect a unit with that option, that will also show you where it is safe to mount your TV, excepting any weight difference.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

When I mounted my TV in the bedroom, I wanted to put up a mount like the one on the side of the camper for watching TV outside. That way I can move the TV from the bedroom to the outside. I mounted a section of 1" x 12" oak shelving to the wall to give me a larger, more secure area to attach the mount.

The 3 brass wood screws on the left (in the picture of the mount attached to the wall) are screwed into the stud. The 2 on right are machine screws with hollow wall anchors like the ones in the second picture. The mount and strap are though bolted with the nuts in recessed holes behind so they do not extend beyond the surface of the shelf as shown in the third picture.

I have an articulating arm mount attached to the piece of the mount that slides into the V-shaped slot of the wall mount. The final picture shows the TV mounted outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0440.jpg (205.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0436.jpg (168.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0429.jpg (217.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg American Heritage 2.jpg (50.7 KB, 27 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Davisk that is a good Idea mounting your sneakers to that board. Keeps them from jumping around. LOL just kidding. The way the pics look.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
Davisk that is a good Idea mounting your sneakers to that board. Keeps them from jumping around. LOL just kidding. The way the pics look.
That's 2 board feet!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you !
Old 04-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We decided to buy a new tv for the rv. We just figure we don't need to take any risk with the 45 pounder. The new one is about 10 lbs. We bought 3 mounts so we can have it in the bedroom, the living area and on the outside kitchen.

Thanks for all the advice !

Fawn

Fawn & Mike

Madison, WI
2015 Crossroads Z-1
Chevy Silverado