Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

<HR>

I was involved in my friends brake replacement job and we became totally frustrated with an ongoing problem. He purchased the entire brake cluster assemblies for both sides. This includes the plate, shoes, actuator magnet and springs all built together. After installing them and doing the wiring and making a slight adjustment to the shoes we went out for a short test run to burnish in the new pads. After driving less than 10 miles we stopped to check everything out and to our astonishment the drums were scalding hot!! When we poured a small amount of water on the drum we got steam. Wow, what could have gone wrong? We let them cool and headed back. Our examination showed nothing, the wheels spun easily, no rubbing or friction was noticable. We tested everything, current to the brakes, voltage readings and everything.....perfect.

Afer another test run with the same results we unplugged the electric connector to the truck....brakes continued to get really hot. Keep in mind the front axle was cool. We only replaced the back axle brakes. To get back home we backed off on the brake shoe adjustment as far as it would go which totally disabled the brakes on this problematic rear axle. The drums were cool to the touch when we arrived home. So the brakes had to be coming on somehow during our test run. It had to be mechanical because the front axle remained totally cool all of the time. Plus we had some braking abilitiy from the front axle.

To make a long story short as they say......the new brakes we installed (made in China) were different. Upon closer examination, the actuator magnet rode at least 1/4 inch higher on the drum surface and this possibly could allow the actuator arm to get hung up on top of the front brake shoe causing it not to relax when in the non braking mode. The actuator magnet may have also gotten movement from ridding over the holes in the drum where the lug bolts are pressed in. These holes are large, probably 5/8 inch and have sharp edges. The actuator magnet ridding higher and thus in an area on the drum armature surface which was not burnished or previously used by the old magnet could have caused the actuator to drag a little harder and thus pull the brakes on even though no electic was applied.

We don't really know which of these problems or in combination with one another caused these brakes to become dangerously hot but we do know the supplier agreed to take them back and refund the money after we discussed all the differences we noticed and the problems they caused. We will purchase Dexter assemblies and try all of this again. This was very frustrating to us because we are both experienced mechanics. This was not our first rodeo!!

So beware of the parts you are using to service not only brakes but practically anything!! All companies have contracted to China in the interest of corporate profit. You pay the price for products that are the "same" but however "slightly different." Look at the ST tires coming from China!! Many products we are using now are of poor quality and downright dangerous. There are no environmental restrictions or quality control on products from China!!

Oh by the way........next time you are grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, look at the food labels carefully. Far too many of their products like frozen fish, orange juice drinks and too many to list will say somewhere on the carton....."Product of China."

Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog

<HR>

I
Oh by the way........next time you are grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, look at the food labels carefully. Far too many of their products like frozen fish, orange juice drinks and too many to list will say somewhere on the carton....."Product of China."
Do you have a problem with Wal-Mart? You will find this same problem at all grocery markets.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
We build 200 home subdivisions in the middle of our farm belt and we wonder why we have to import food?

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We import food because it is cheaper and thusmore profitable. Until there is no alternative, I will not buy any food product that says "Product of China." We are now shopping at Kroger and other markets and their fish is NOT packed in China......at least for now.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

thanks for the heads up with the brakes. when we work on our equiptment trailers we always buy the whole assemblys. we've never had a problem, but i'll take a good look next time. thanks for posting.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On looking back at everything we went through, I would recommend that you turn the surface of the drum that the actuator magnet rides on if you are replacing this magnet or replacing the entire brake cluster assy. It is not always necessary to turn the surface the shoes ride on unless it is really scored and in bad shape. The actuator magnet rides on the wall of the drum under slight springpressure all of the time. If it rides higher(closer to the spindle) or lower(closer to the outside of the drum) it may be ridding a surface that would cause it to drag harder, pull the arm, and activate the brakes!! Any shop who can refurbish the surface of an engine flywheel can refurbish this surface of a brake drum. Hope nobody else suffers the problems we have had.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Pull Dog,

I shared with you my problems on another forum, but I'm pretty sure that the magnet was not riding in a different position, just that I believed the leading edge of the magnet was grabbing on the stud holes. No problems since changing the angle of the magnet. Last time I checked locally about resurfacing the drum, both brake and magnet surface, total cost was almost as high as buying a brand new drum, so that is what I did. Let us know how the Dexter assemblies work out.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I just had a brake headache myself. The original brakes were made in China. All electrical tests showed good. I even took the assembly to a trailer parts store who told me everything looked good. Turned out that 3 out of the 4 magnets were weak. Electrically everything tested perfect. I finally put a piece of metal on the energized magnet and could feel that there was not enough magnetism.

I now have four new Dexter brakes. I feel much better.

My previous trailer had 10 years and who knows how many miles and all I ever did was adjust the brakes. These had under 10,000 miles and had to be replaced. let China keep their brakes on their trailers!

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog
<hr>

After Chinese food producers poisoned American pets and their own infants with a toxic formula additive, I wont buy anything edible that comes from China. They apparently have no quality standards there and no regard for life. Our Gov doesn't protect us from unsafe products coming from there. Any clothing I buy imported from China is washed and aired outside before wearing. Who knows what toxic chemicals they may add to the sizing.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Just a follow up and close on this problem. He tested brakes after putting on Dexter Assemblies and now everything is fine. No heat, good brakes and we are thoroughly convinced that those brake clusters he bought from a supplier that were a product of China did not function properly. I would recommend anyone replacing their brakes buy only Dexter, and just as a precaution have the armature or sidewall of the drum where the actuator magnet rides turned by a machine shop. Any shop who can resurface a flywheel can turn this part of the drum. The magnet may not ride on the exact same part of the drum if they are a product of China.