Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Musty Smell

We have had our Sunset Trail since mid Aug. 2016 We only used it a few times. 2nd weekend I got a jacket out of closet beside bed. Noticed a very strong smell. Didn't know if it was a new smell from all the laminate in the trailer. Other clothing also had a strange odour. Stored t-shirts /shorts in plastic bins in cabinets so didn't notice anything on these. Any clothing that was not in the bins smelled very musty when brought in the house to wash. Started to bring things in from trailer to close up for winter. Everything smells musty. Clothing , dishes, food products, plastic bins etc......How can this be in a new trailer. Need help!!!!!
2 R Campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If it's still under warranty I would take it to the dealer to have checked. Could be a leak somewhere inside the walls. I've heard of strong formaldehyde smells in new units also. Maybe someone thats had this issue can give better advice. Sorry your having this problem.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your thoughts. I have heard of a strong formaldehyde smell as well. Wonder if that's what it is. Everything in the trailer smells. We have had it only 2 months. Purchased new. Under warranty still going back to dealer at the end of the month. They are aware of problem and will be checking for leaks. Don't see anything but willl see. Don't know what they will do to get rid of smell.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We had a water intrusion issue and recently had it repaired. The original leak was detected and fixed first, but we needed to know the extent of the water damage. The repair facility owner has a device which can detect the presence of moisture in the walls, etc. He places it against the wall and the thing registers a number, 0 means no moisture, any other number means moisture and to what degree.

To prove that it works, he placed it against walls in other areas and the thing showed 0. When they opened the area up, there was a lot of wet and blackened insulation, etc.

If your dealer has one of these things, then he or she can find the presence of moisture pretty quickly. We didn't even know such a device existed until this happened.

I just looked it up online and it's called a moisture meter. They come in two styles - with or without pins. Obviously for this application you want one without pins, as the pins would damage the wall. They sell for various prices, some under $100. It might even be worthwhile to own one so you can do regular inspections throughout your RV.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would recommend installing a couple of Max Air roof vent covers, that way you can keep the roof vent open a little and get some fresh air movement at all times. We did that when we purchased our unit and have not had any odor issues.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the suggestion. Have them already. Keep them open all the time. The smell has penetrated everything in the trailer. We are literally not happy campers. Waiting to see what our dealer does for us. Only had trailer 2 months. Bought new.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input. We will see what the dealer does when we bring it back in 2 weeks. Needed a few minor things done fixed when we bought it. Parts were on order. Dealership has been informed of our concern.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Keep up up to date.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Good luck, I hope they figure out the problem for you. Please keep us posted.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Angry Update on terrible smell

So our new trailer with this smell has been at the dealer all winter. They have checked it for any moisture or mold anywhere, came up negative. They determine its a new trailer smell. They tried to burn the smell out then ventilate. Still smells. Good thing is the dealer does agree there is an unpleasant smell. Owner of dealership also indicated he would not be happy if it was his trailer. They have indicated it's not an warranty issue but they are doing what they can to get rid of the smell. They recently let a Bomb off ( some type of odour eliminator fogger spray) Dealership says its helped. Told us to try it. They have also offered us a refund to be used as credit at their dealership if the smell doesn't dissipate. Problem is they are no longer a Crossroads Dealer anymore. Hmmmm??? Wondering why now!! We are not happy with choices we have with their current trailer manufactures. We can't find a trailer with a floor plan that gives us the things we wanted in our current trailer. We also got the trailer at a real good price because they were closing out all Crossroads trailers. Most of the trailers are 2017 models and are almost $ 10,000 more than what we paid. We will also be sacrificing some of the things that were huge deciding reasons to buy our trailer. So we will be forced to take our trailer back and hope that what they have done has helped. We even called Crossroads to inquire how to solve the problem. Was told they couldn't help. Refered us back to our dealer. Told us to refer to owner manual for ventilation. This is so wrong to purchase something new and have to put up with this terrible smell. Wonder how it is affecting our health??? Something should be done!!! Any suggestions???
Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Wondering if anyone else with this problem had the underbelly mouse repellent put on their trailer. Have friends with a new Crossroads trailer and they didn't have this applied and they do not have a bad smell.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:22 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I have a 2016 sunset trail reserve st29ss. I do not have the underbelly mouse repellent and I also do not have any foul smell. Good luck with your issue. I hope it gets resolved. This has been a good trailer for us.
CampBannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:35 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

there is a product called DampDri we put two packets in our unit and that absorbs the dampness. We live in a high humid area we replace them every two months Amazon has them in stock
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I put an ozone generator in mine a couple of days before we go out along with the damp-rid that stays in there all the time. We've not had a problem so far. If I wasn't storing it somewhere, I'd have a dehumidifier in it dumping into a holding tank.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I use the mouse repellent oil based undercoat ( slight peppermint smell when you apply it) and I don't smell anything in my 2013 Seville 5th wheel. & we love the unit.
And no mice
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Update on odour.

My persistence is hopefully paying off. As I mentioned in previous posts our trailer has terrible smell that adheres to any porous items or material. I have been searching other RV forums and any other site I could find to see if any one else shares this unique problem. Not a typical new trailer smell. I reached out to Crossroads through Messenger from their Facebook page. Their marketing manager replied 🙂🙂 They asked if we tried contacting their service dept. I replied indicating yes we did but we didn't get anywhere with that. Much to my surprise they indicated they would fwd our messages on to someone else. We received a call on Fri. Morning. We gave them a description of the problems in our trailer. They will follow up with the dealer. As I mentioned the dealer has been great but can't solve the problem. So here's hoping it will become a warranty claim!!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

odor

We were tired of the strong "new" trailer odor. Placed a couple bowls of ammonia in the unit when we had some nice sunny warm days. All vents and windows were closed, left them in a couple of days. Pulled them out and the odor is noticeably less.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, Mega Cab
Cummins powered
Golfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

What i did on mine was i bought a OZone generator on e bay for $60 you may be able to rent one, I took everything i had in the trailer out opened all the draws and cabinets and ran it for a hour and then opened all the windows for a day, i did that three times and it smelled a whole lot better after that then i went in with glass cleaner with ammonia and cleaned everything walls inside cabinets chairs couch i mean everything, I can finely put stuff in the trailer go camping and it doesn't come out smelling like musty it's a lot of work but worth it we love this trailers setup and style finely were at piece with our trailer hope this helps this worked for me hope it will work for you.
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
New Camper

I got a 2016 Zinger and the smell is unrea, and like everyone is saying it's getting worse. It's that bad we are not even sure if it's safe to stay in the trailer anymore, and the smell goes through everything. What saddens me the most this trailer was a "wish" that was granted to our little boy from "make a wish foundation " sick kids������
Did anyone find anything that worked for them
Tnt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
New Camper

Same problem

Hi there,
I know the thread is older but the problem is still on going. I have a 2014 zinger with the same problem, bad odor when you go in. The smell goes through everything, clothes plastics, etc. We have to bring home all our food products and clothes all the time. I have tried vinegar and pine sol trick, ammonia for a day, the only thing that I have not tried is the burnout method that an organic chemist posted somewhere, he said to super heat the trailer for 12 hours fully closed and then ventilated for 12 hours, he did this for 10 days and he said the smell was basically gone.
gwalsh71 is offline   Reply With Quote