Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

My First Flat, Rig jacking question

Got the trailer out of my storage yard just before it went under 4 feet of water here in south Louisiana. Noticed one tire was low, slow leak. Thought about changing it myself since I had an ideal situation not being stuck roadside, but called my roadside service, Coach Net, instead to watch how their guy jacked up the trailer.
After all the discussion about putting the bottle jack under the frame or the axle, he put it under the leaf spring near the tire. Said if he wanted to lift both tires he would have used the frame.

I hadn't heard of this method-anyone else use it, and can it harm the rig?

Coach Net was great by the way. This guy had the trailer jacked up, diagnosed the flat (small nail) repaired the tire and had all back together in 15 minutes, tops.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've owned campers for 18 years now. A lot of different opinions on this. My 2cents. I've always put the jack as close to the tire as possible. Never had an issue with any camper I've ever owned. I would never jack up anything by jacking under the leaf spring. I think that's just not smart. Just my opinion.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Our daughter had a flat two days ago and had to wait quite a while for Good Sam to show up, it being a Sunday evening. She would have done it herself except she did not have the tool needed to get the spare off the back of the trailer. We brought a really good jack with us when we went to Alaska recently (and used it).

Hubby found something online that looks interesting - it's a little ramp you drive the good wheel (of tandem wheels) onto in order to change the tire. Does anyone have any experience with one of those?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I just had a trip where I had to watch 2 tire changes by Good Sams club guys. All 3 jacked the trailer up by the frame close to the tire. I then purchased an 8 ton bottle jack after reading a recommendation on here. I came home and was changing the cheap tires the trailer came with to a higher quality one. I had no problem with the bottle jack and some blocks.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I've had a number of flats over the years with my two 5th wheels. I learned that trailer tires have a finite life. 3 years, maybe 4 years at most and then they blow. So I change mine out every 4 years whether they look like they need it or not.

I also found a light weight, 2 ton automotive floor jack that comes with a carrying case on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Torin-T82012-...ds=floor+jacks It easily stores in the front bay of my CR ST 5th wheel. That way I don't have to haul around my garage 4 ton floor jack.

Don
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

Hubby found something online that looks interesting - it's a little ramp you drive the good wheel (of tandem wheels) onto in order to change the tire. Does anyone have any experience with one of those?
Yeah, its a great little tool. Then you realize it doesn't work if your RV has a suspension.....

So I have to get a piston jack before the next trip. And likely just getting rid of the ramp. Unless you want to buy it loneoak. Only used <unsuccessfully> once.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
Yeah, its a great little tool.
So how do you remove the tire from the wheel hub with this ramp????

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

the wheel without the ramp should be off the ground. then just pretend it is jacked up and take the tire off.. pretty simple.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

That ramp doesn't lift the other wheel high enough to remove, even with a board, on many of the wide stance axle trailers.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
That ramp doesn't lift the other wheel high enough to remove, even with a board, on many of the wide stance axle trailers.
That is what I was just about to say.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
By wide stance, do you mean the axles (and hence, wheels) are further apart? If that is the case, then this ramp should work on ours as our wheels are fairly close together. So much so that the Anderson levelers are extremely difficult to squeeze in there. Our daughter's trailer has the wheels further apart.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
I don't know if its the spacing or the flex in the suspension. But either way, not all the magic ramp options work. Clearly mine doesn't.

My folks had the same realization on their camper.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I have jacked up all kinds of vehicles using the axle or at the spring hangers. They have to support the weight of the vehicle and for size and power, it is hard to beat a good bottle jack. With an almost 8000lbs dry weight, or 4 tons, a 6 ton jack should do the job.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon View Post
I have jacked up all kinds of vehicles using the axle or at the spring hangers. They have to support the weight of the vehicle and for size and power, it is hard to beat a good bottle jack. With an almost 8000lbs dry weight, or 4 tons, a 6 ton jack should do the job.
True,

But only jack the axle at the u clamp, not further in. It will damage the axle sleeve. These axles are not, I repeat..not the same build quality as a vehicle axle unless your driving a motor home.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I have one ramp in my shed and one in my camper storage compartment. They work great. Either pull forward onto the ramp or back up depending on which axle you want to lift. Beats carrying a heavy Jack around. I took one set of tires off at a time and took to a local garage for them to mount new tires. Then I simply reinstalled.
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote