Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need clarification... dry camping vs boondocking

Need help on knowing the difference between dry camping and boondocking.

I always thought dry camping was taking the camper out in the middle of know where and living off the gas, water tank, and generator/solar/battery.

A friend said that's not dry camping since you have water. He said dry camping is if you are winterized.

I thought boondocking was parking at WalMart or a truck stop.

Do I have the definitions correct?

Appreciate any feedback so I can sound like I kind of know what I'm talking aobut!

PokerMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Site Team

From Good Sam website. The Zen of Boondocking II: Boondocking vs. dry-camping -

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
This is how I understood the difference as well. So in short dry camping is camping without hook ups, using your own power source, water tanks, propane etc. Boondocking is camping in the middle of nowhere ie BLM land, woods, field or desert or such where no campground exists.

Camping without dewinterizing is just that, camping without using the water in your unit due to it still having the pink stuff or being blown out. We have done this in the winter, plugged into 50 amp at a campground with playground, etc.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

This was a big debate on another forum that I belonged to. The stories I have heard are pretty divided on what the meaning and difference is so who am I to say who is right and who is wrong. The way that I have always understood the difference is that "dry" camping is just that, no water and no sewer connections but could have electrical connections and be in a campgrounds or an area with access to modern amenities(restrooms, showers, etc.). And boondocking is where you have no connections (water, electric, sewer) and usually not in a developed area. But I have also heard people say that parking in a parking lot of a truck stop, rest area, etc. could be considered boondocking. For me I really don't consider that boondocking because you still have access to modern amenities (restrooms, showers, etc.), I still consider this dry camping. Since there is no real governing body saying this is what this means and this is what that means when it comes to RVing terms everyone will have their own definition of what each means and the differences. There have been many other debates similar to this when it comes to how people decipher things and who is to say who is right and who is wrong.

This is just my view on the debate of what each mean and your views may differ from mine and that is fine because I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying I am wrong. Which ever side of the fence you fall on this debate we can all agree that no matter what type of camping you do we all enjoy the RVing lifestyle or we wouldn't own one!

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote