Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need info for factory repair center

Will be taking my RV back to factory repair center leaving from Pa. on Monday, and need to be there at 0700 Tuesday morning. Will be getting there late Monday, and wanting to know from those that have been there if there is a place I can pull in overnight. Looking at maps I see a rest stop on the Ohio turnpike about 60 miles away where I could get some rest. Are there any other options for overnight stops that forum members could share? I'll be leaving the camper there for repair, and camper will be dry and no personal items inside so a campground is not an option.
Thanks!
Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Denny,

Here's a link to the turnpike that lists all rest stops with overnight RV parking areas

http://www.ohioturnpike.org/wp-conte...eneralinfo.pdf

I think the one you want is Indian Meadow.

Here it is on the map.

http://www.ohioturnpike.org/traveler...#INDIAN_MEADOW

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Indian Meadow it is, thanks. Appears to be about 60 miles from factory repair center. Was just going to pull in near the trucks and catch a few hours rest, but if it is warm may be wanting to hook up for the A/C. I did reach out to Mr. Woodcox at CR to see if I could pull in somewhere near the factory. Just sent that message tonight, so will see what the reply is. The rest stop you suggested is the one I saw on the map. Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When we went last December, we asked them if t was o.k. to boondock in the parking lot overnight and they said yes. We ended up not doing that, however, since we arrived shortly after lunch.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You may want the AC next week. Supposed to be in the high 70's and rainy. Good Luck. Easy driving across 80 and should stay that way until the kiddies are out of school. Get's congested around Sandusky because of the amusement park traffic once the schools let out.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quite the Adventure!

Got to Indian Meadows Monday evening around 9:00 PM. The RV spots were all available, but had a 40' maximum length. Was not looking to unhook. so pulled to the far side of the truck lot into an empty spot, started the generator and the A/C to cool the inside. The outside temps were already dropping below 70 degrees F, and would drop considerably further.

The truck spots on the Ohio Turnpike are very narrow, so the slides stayed in and after a time I settled in on the sofa for a nap. Plan was to rest till 4:30 AM and travel the rest of the way. The truck lot filled up quickly, and of course the air brake noises were very loud until the lot was full. Around 11:00 PM the truck to the left of me was having a problem with his brakes, so he was continually starting and stopping and trying to get his brakes to work properly. Despite this noise, fell asleep until there was a loud explosion and the RV shook badly. Some of the cabinets above the sofa popped open and items were falling out. Jumped out of the RV, and many of the nearby truckers were also scrambling to see what happened.

The rear of the adjacent trailer was now on fire (on the side away from me), and this started a scramble as all of us in the general vicinity started up and pulled out away from the trailer on fire. Pulled into the edge of the lot and was talking with the truckers, when I noticed the lights were out on the side of my trailer. Then found the lenses on the marker lights were missing - had popped off from the concussion. Started inspecting the RV inside and out and found no broken windows or obvious damage.

To be continued, have to leave for work!
Denny
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Holy smokes

Old 05-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Was it occupied?

Old 05-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

One of the occupants of the tractor was trying to fix the brakes I believe. I later saw one of them with a bandage around his head. They disconnected the tractor from the trailer and pulled away as well. The fire spread to the trailer, and the fire department had to put it out internally as well as externally.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Since I was on the way to the factory service center, all of the valuable personal belongings were removed prior to leaving home as CR requested. I did not have a strong flashlight to check for damage, and did the best I could with some LED lights. Went into the service plaza and bought replacement marker bulbs. After the fire was out, was able to find 2 of the 3 marker lenses on the ground where I was originally parked and snap them back on. I asked the fire chief if I could borrow a strong light to check for damage, and he took me to the State Police Officer to get my name on the report.

The State Police Officer asked me to pull my RV up to the equipment so it could be inspected. I did pull up and they went over my RV looking for fire damage. The officer told me the RV was not legal since the side marker lights were out. Told them again (several times) that I pulled away before the fire spread, and was worried about the concussion from the explosion. Even though I fixed the lights while he was watching, not sure I ever got though to them about the explosion as no one else had reported it.
Finally got settled down for a nap around 2 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

That's quite the adventure

Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

The best part of the adventure happened later that morning. Made it to the factory repair facility around 615 AM. Randy came out to meet me, and took my RV inside. He then took me back to the shop - well lit, organized, impressive. He had the repair order and went over all the items on the list with me. He told me what they were going to do about everything on the list, and even showed me where water was likely getting into the wardrobe slide. The employees were friendly and promptly started working on my RV. I left it there in good hands, and was leaving impressed when Randy asked me to wait and he went outside to talk to another person. Took the opportunity to look at some of the other work going on. They came back in and the other person said hello and shook my hand. I introduced myself, and he told me his name was Andy. Randy told him he was going to walk me out and then come back. Andy told Randy that when he came back he wanted to talk about ideas for the factory rally.

First impressions mean a lot to me, and if the finished product matches the first impression I'm going to be well pleased. Left for home around 830 AM, stopped for a short nap in Ohio and then finished the trip. 550 miles each way. Truck did 10 mpg towing and 21+ on the return trip. Diesel fuel is 30-40 cents per gallon cheaper in Ohio and Indiana than Pa.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Was that Andy Cripe? If so, he's the president of Crossroads.

What kind of ideas did you discuss for the rally?

We have been very impressed with our experiences at the factory service Center. It's too bad they couldn't put the same amount of time and effort into making the things in the first place.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I asked Randy if that was Andy as in the President of the company and he told me that it was.
I was not present for any of the conversations about ideas for the rally.