Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need some advice.

We bought a brand new '17 Sunset Trail Super Lite 289qb last friday. We got it home and when the sun hit the back end cap a glaring 6" scratch repair became obvious dead center in the panel. Where we did the PDI the sun didn't shine at the angle making it obvious. Further inspection shows it was repaired after the factory as they only spot puddied it and painted/cleared that area. There's blend overspray all over the back. Without the sun shining on it it's barely noticeable outside of 5ish feet away.

I called the dealer and they knew exactly what I was talking about and said they had a mix up and delivered the wrong trailer thinking the one I got didn't have the blemish.

They said a warranty claim was already filed and a new end cap was on its way and they've agreed to remove, replace and reseal on a new end cap.

This all sounds great but Crossroads states they will not warranty the repair any longer than the original warranty. This has me a bit nervous cracking open a factory sealed wall panel on a brand new trailer.

Part of me says live with the scratch and cover with a decal and hope to get some money back. Other side says let them do the repair but Im very very wary of ending up with a bad seal and heading down the never ending leak road...

Any thoughts?
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Well I'm very sorry that happened to you. I'm a bit untrusting and would think they were just hoping I wouldn't notice. If they knew it was damaged then how did they make the mistake of selling it when a warranty claim had already been filed. I've never had to have a major repair like that and maybe someone that has will jump in soon. I don't know what I would do either but it has to be heart breaking. Scratches will occur but if I pay for a new unit, I want to be the one that scratches it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well I'm very sorry that happened to you. I'm a bit untrusting and would think they were just hoping I wouldn't notice. If they knew it was damaged then how did they make the mistake of selling it when a warranty claim had already been filed. I've never had to have a major repair like that and maybe someone that has will jump in soon. I don't know what I would do either but it has to be heart breaking. Scratches will occur but if I pay for a new unit, I want to be the one that scratches it.

Yes well said. I'm certainly not naive enough to believe the story, I was really getting to the point of just dealing with it and chocking it up to my fault for missing it on pdi. I said what the hey i'll just call and see what if anything they'll do and that was the response. Kinda made me more upset. It's not awful or structural just sticks out because it's filled with bondo which is smooth unlike the fiberglass texture everywhere else. But it's principle like you reference I bought a new unit that was presented as pristine condition. Not like they pointed it out and offered a discount. Now i'm leaning towards give me some sort of discount and we'll call it a day. The total wall replacement is such a gray area that could open up pandora's box so to speak.

Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Go back to the dealer and tell them you want to take the "other one". Bring this one back with you ...I would like to know if there was another one. I would do this just because...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

I agree with Harley, go back for the "new" unit you were suppose to get or give me the amount money they would bill the factory for the warranty replacement cost & I'll live with the scratch. If you do get repaired DON'T let them have it til ALL parts & pieces are on site & ready to repair & then give them a time limit to complete the repair, no excuses, no delays & hold them to it with a provision in writing that any issues in the future from the repair WILL be covered 100%.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Another factor

If you choose to have them replace the end cap, how long will they have it? If the cap comes in mid June, you may be without your TT for the rest of the summer. They pile up units for repair like lumber waiting to season, meanwhile moving on the new ones that they want out the door or the people who scream the loudest.

You will unlikely get any cash back, will more likely be in the form of a gift card for the store. Maybe you could bargain for some slide covers or some other pricey item you want. Again, the unit could sit in the lot waiting for repair.

I don't know if they will trade the unit either since the title paperwork is likely filed with your name and the VIN number. That would make it a used unit.

I think I would go after some sort of compensation. If it's fiberglass, why did they use bondo and not fiberglass to repair. And they should have painted the whole end cap.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Team

I'd go with the repair. If you can get assurance on the time it will take to change it, lock them into it and keep on them.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Team

With a dealer like that, how can you believe anything he says, let alone trust him or his repair.
I think I would go harley's route.
If that didn't work, I might seek legal services.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

If you can't get another unblemished trailer, and you don't want them to replace the whole end cap, can this be repaired properly from a qualified repair shop and repainted so that the damage is gone and no longer visible? Paid by the dealer or Crossroads. That way you can keep the warranty.

Also, I'm not understanding why the warranty would no longer be valid if this came from the factory that way. If the dealer did it, Crossroads wouldn't even offer any compensation.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
If you can't get another unblemished trailer, and you don't want them to replace the whole end cap, can this be repaired properly from a qualified repair shop and repainted so that the damage is gone and no longer visible? Paid by the dealer or Crossroads. That way you can keep the warranty.

Also, I'm not understanding why the warranty would no longer be valid if this came from the factory that way. If the dealer did it, Crossroads wouldn't even offer any compensation.
Thanks all for the responses. I plan to contact the dealer and see what other options are on the table.

As far as warranty issues, I meant to say that Crossroads nor the dealer will warrant the major repair longer then the original 1 year warranty.

I certainly would rather have another trailer but like mentioned above I doubt due to titling issues that that would be an option.

I do like the suggestion of just having the panel refinished properly by a repair shop.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

You have to remember that a body shop will sand the area smooth like a car finish and will look different that the filon finish that looks like stranded fiberglass. But maybe I am wrong.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You have to remember that a body shop will sand the area smooth like a car finish and will look different that the filon finish that looks like stranded fiberglass. But maybe I am wrong.
Harley, you may be correct as I fortunately haven't had to use the service of a body shop yet for our rv. But I have seen some that advertise that they repair rv's. I would think that whatever they do would look original. That's a good question for a shop if the OP decides to go in that direction.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

There is a difference between filon and gel coat. I think if it's gel coat you won't have any fibers to worry about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Good healthy debate going...thanks for all the input.

Spoke with the owner today he was very decent and apologetic. He said the end cap should be in next week and stated its a two day job. He told me rear caps are easy jobs and usually end up better sealed than from the factory. He mentioned that had it been the front cap he would swap my trailer out in an instant as those are complete nightmares.

He offered to back and warranty the repair for an additional year through him.

I'm leaning towards doing the swap especially after getting it out in the sun and seeing the bad paint match. Attached some photos so everyone can see what I'm into.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2502.jpg (253.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (88.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Good decision.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott9713 View Post
Good healthy debate going...thanks for all the input.

Spoke with the owner today he was very decent and apologetic. He said the end cap should be in next week and stated its a two day job. He told me rear caps are easy jobs and usually end up better sealed than from the factory. He mentioned that had it been the front cap he would swap my trailer out in an instant as those are complete nightmares.

He offered to back and warranty the repair for an additional year through him.

I'm leaning towards doing the swap especially after getting it out in the sun and seeing the bad paint match. Attached some photos so everyone can see what I'm into.

Thanks again!
Get his additional warranty in writing and yea I can see the damage. If he will do that I would go that route myself. That would drive me nuts with a new unit to have to look at that.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Wanted to post an update. Spoke with the owner again and discussed the situation and he's willing to swap trailers for another 289qb in stock. Can't speak any higher about this dealer. The customer service has been outstanding and they did the right thing. Don't see it too often. If you're in the market in the Delmarva area certainly take the time to look at the "hitch" place. Thanks again all.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #18
Gone Traveling

WOW! That's almost unheard of in the rv industry.Congratulations!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote