Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2007 TT with less then 10,000 miles and have not had it out for 2 years, Can't seem to get DW to go any where. In 2010 her mother passed away and she wanted to have an estate sale but did not happen until 2011 and now she say's need to sale house, but still not on market. She has had 1 knee replaced and the other one needs replaced, but has not hurt her enough to get done. Did get her to go to TX last spring in mini Van to just look around the area. I am 71 years old and my time of pulling a TT is getting short even tho I am in pretty good shape. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do to get her on the road. The times we used it she seem to enjoy going. Thanks Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Does she have a place that she has never visited, wants to see?

If so, pack her up and go there.

Edited by: seabee
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

RR,

I would figure out if she likes cold or warm climates and think about heading that direction. I would plan out the trip, getting pictures, info such as activities and sights to see, places to go, and sit and review the details of the planned trip.

I think you need to get her excitied about the unknown with this planning.

Now the next thing is to set the dates, giving her some time to coordinate what she needs for the trip.

Last, hold true to the plans. If she still doesn't want to go, make sure she knows that you are going, come hell or high water. With or without.

Until you take a firm stand on planning, corrdinating, and commitment, she will vacillate like selling the house, etc.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

She might have an issue that your physician needs to deal with. If you factor in chronic pain, plus the loss of her mother, then the enormity of having to let go of parts of her life (estate sale, sale of mother's home) she could be experiencing some temporary depression/stress. You statement of "Can't seem to get DW to go any where" seems to support that. (not that I am a dr or anything, thatis the lawyer disclaimer here).

I live with chronic pain due to a severe childhood injury andwhen toomuch stress starts piling on.there are days you just don't feel like doing anything.

Also different people deal with grief in different ways. And once again. stack grief on top of pain (even if it is not intense enough to warrant theknee being replaced, it is still always there).

Maybe you need to talk to your pastor or you doctor about helping your DW get back to enjoying life.

If this is the issue, you pressuring her is just going to add to the stress.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

For an uneducated guess, sounds like she is homebound and the thought of actually leaving is what keeps her home. As we age, we get to hate to leave but, when we do, we really enjoy ourselves. If you have good friends or relatives that live a long way away, have her fly there and then you meet her. When away from home, she might be more apt to travel around and visit with the RV. She will likely always be ready to head home in it. <grin>
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for your input, and I think depression is the main cause, as her dad passed in 1972 and my wife has taken care of her mothers needs for over 30 years, and the last 10 we had hired 24/7 help for her. I worked for a major airline for 35 years and we were lucky to have seen much of the world, but tired of airplanes. Have been in about 35 states missing most in the NE and east coast. Daughter & family live in PIT, and GD is having a special church thing in April, and I am thinking of taking TT and then going east to the coast and then head south for a couple of weeks, heading then west thru Tenn. and Ky. Just hope fuel cost don't go crazy. Again thanks for your input..... Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

By all means, if you are thinking that also, get her to the doc ! There is a condition called care-taker syndrome that comes into play also.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote