Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New F250 Diesel

Hi All - I just bought a new F250 diesel pu. This is my first experience with a diesel engine so I am hoping some of you experienced Ford diesel owners will chime in with some tips and advice for this newbie. I have always maintained our cars as far as oil and filter changes, air filters, batteries, etc. but never maintained diesels. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Follow the schedule in the owners manual. Remember to change the fuel filters when you are supposed to. There are two of them....one in the engine compartment and one on the frame rail. You may want to occasionally put some fuel additive in to lube and clean the injectors. I like the Diesel Kleen product. Being in Georgia, you will most lkely not have to worry about fuel gelling. Enjoy, you will love the performance of a diesel.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Not sure if the 6.7 has the same cetane requirements my old 6.4 f250 psd had but I was told to run cetane boost with every tank of fuel. I used power service diesel kleen (grey bottle) during spring, summer and fall. During the winter I used power service diesel fuel supplement plus cetane boost (white bottle) to prevent the fuel from gelling. Double check your manual for this schedule, but You will want to drain your fuel water separator monthly. Change your fuel filter every 10,000 miles and oil changes every 5000 miles. When your truck goes into regeneration (exhaust clean) you will want to keep driving until the regeneration cycle is complete. Lots of great info found here.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Just drive it and enjoy it !!! After all, it's just a truck

Pics or it didn't happen !!!
FTE is a great ford specific resource too...

Setup an account on Fords owner site using your vin and you can download all the manuals and track any updates / service
Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
J
Pics or it didn't happen !!!
LOL!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Good timing on this post. I just recently aquired a new F350 6.7 PSD. This being my first diesel, I read the manual cover to cover and when my vehicle told me it was cleaning the exhaust filter ( regeneration process) I was still confused. hit the books and web to find out why I was getting such bad gas mileage. Now I know it is part of the regen process. still confusing the first time it happens.

Best quote I saw so far from Johnboytoo "Just drive it and enjoy it !!! After all, it's just a truck "

So far I love it! I hope you have the same experiance as me!

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaynedaniel View Post
Hi All - I just bought a new F250 diesel pu. This is my first experience with a diesel engine so I am hoping some of you experienced Ford diesel owners will chime in with some tips and advice for this newbie. I have always maintained our cars as far as oil and filter changes, air filters, batteries, etc. but never maintained diesels. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2013 F350 6.7l diesel and I love it..

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

This is what I've done so far.

Air Filter: Once a year or when the filterminder says to change it.
Oil Filters: Every 3 months or when the truck says it needs to be changed.
Fuel Filters: Every other oil change.
Fuel/Water Drain: Checked 4 times since I got it and never had any water in the system.
Fuel Additive: I run it in a tank once a month, can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

Everything else I just do what the manual states and let the dealer do the work.

These trucks are made to be severely abused commercial trucks , I doubt any of us come close to even scratching the surface of its limits. I asked my dealer if I should use the severe duty schedule as I was towing and they just laughed. Service guy said sure if it makes you feel better but no way does it need it.

Do what makes you happy :-)

Edit: As for regen, the only notice I ever get is a quick flash notice on the dash screen. There is no way to tell other than that as far as I know. No reduction in power, engine noise level, exhaust note etc. There is no indication of run time or if I should or need to keep the truck on. Twice its started just as I was pulling into my street on my way home.
When I questioned this at the dealer the tech said not to worry the truck will take care of everything when it needs to.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

The Powerstroke forum is an excellent resource!

http://www.powerstroke.org
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
New Camper

Servicing a diesel

I must say from servicing 6.7l diesels and seeing the failures which have been very few in response to the 6.0l. I just the other day was involved in my first dpf delete and retune and wow did it make a difference. While the guy was towing he is getting like 27mpg. This is true mileage I have seen. Not sure if you guys are allowed to delete them where you live but I must say it does help for sure.
Msaslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

27mpg towing? I've never heard anything even close to that towing with 25mpg max unloaded and I've been looking at tuning without deleting and talking to the best tuners in the nation for nearly 6 months.

Tune details please, I'd love to get a look at it.

I really like that a lot of the tuners are now looking at tuning and keeping the EGR and DPF/DEF systems. I like my quite, clean classy truck not some smoke spewing stinky old diesel.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
27mpg towing? I've never heard anything even close to that towing with 25mpg max unloaded and I've been looking at tuning without deleting and talking to the best tuners in the nation for nearly 6 months.

Tune details please, I'd love to get a look at it.

I would like to know also.

I really like that a lot of the tuners are now looking at tuning and keeping the EGR and DPF/DEF systems. I like my quite, clean classy truck not some smoke spewing stinky old diesel.
That is one of the reasons I went back to a gas truck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Site Team

27 mpg. Towing?? I think all the trucks manufacturers would be checking this truck out.

Of course, it could be a very small travel trailer.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

It was this guy!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140809_134057135 (800x450).jpg (406.2 KB, 5 views)
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Not worth a comment total BS.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
This is what I've done so far.

Air Filter: Once a year or when the filterminder says to change it.
Oil Filters: Every 3 months or when the truck says it needs to be changed.
Fuel Filters: Every other oil change.
Fuel/Water Drain: Checked 4 times since I got it and never had any water in the system.
Fuel Additive: I run it in a tank once a month, can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

Everything else I just do what the manual states and let the dealer do the work.

These trucks are made to be severely abused commercial trucks , I doubt any of us come close to even scratching the surface of its limits. I asked my dealer if I should use the severe duty schedule as I was towing and they just laughed. Service guy said sure if it makes you feel better but no way does it need it.

Do what makes you happy :-)

Edit: As for regen, the only notice I ever get is a quick flash notice on the dash screen. There is no way to tell other than that as far as I know. No reduction in power, engine noise level, exhaust note etc. There is no indication of run time or if I should or need to keep the truck on. Twice its started just as I was pulling into my street on my way home.
When I questioned this at the dealer the tech said not to worry the truck will take care of everything when it needs to.
That is a lot of overkill on oil and filter changes - unless you are driving a crazy amount of miles - or in very demanding environments. I have been driving diesels for a few years now...I change my oil and fuel filters once per year - due to low accumulation of miles. I run synthetic lubricants, and add Stanadyne or Howes to my fuel. No gelling so far - truck runs great....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I pull rvs from IN. and have a 2011 F350 with 6/7 in it I have 268000 miles on it and do regular maintenance get from9.5 to 11.5 towing depending on what I am towing and 17.5 empty am on my second engine Ford put new one in at 120000 due to engine failure so far so good all the power you could want pulls our Rushmore with Know trouble Jim&Carol
Old 12-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I live in California and we have lots of emission restrictions on our gasoline and diesel fuels. After the 3rd rebuild of the turbo system on my 2005 Ford SD 6.0L, I asked the Ford service dealer what the cure was and he mentioned adding 8 oz cetane additive to each tank. That has certainly cured the turbo problem. 35k miles since the last rebuild and no turbo issues. However, the truck is now in the shop for a new fuel injector computer module after recently replacing the glow plug computer module. I'm also replacing the trailer brake control module since it is now giving me a "TBC Fault" signal on the monitor panel. Thank God for extended warranties. Otherwise this truck is a money pit.

I think it is time for a new truck!

Don
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Let me tell you now. Change fuel filters at least every 15,000 miles or you are just asking for trouble.