Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

New member, probably old question.

Good Morning,

I ran into a problem with my travel trailer and decided it was time to join. I've been lurking for a couple years. I've always thought, I could add something to the threads, but I resisted joining.

On Thursday, I had an issue, that will need repair. I think I have it figured out, but I thought I should run it past the forum, to be sure, before I dive in, buying parts. There could be something I don't know about.

I did an introduction, but I think I will add to it.

Here is my issue.

I am currently waiting on White River Electric, to hook up my service. It has rained alot, so they haven't been out to hook it up. That's the way it goes. I have been running off of a generator. I don't need much, so a few hours of generator time, gets me by.
On Thursday, I was outside. My generator idled down very low, then all of a sudden ran up to a high idle, before going back to normal. I knew that wasn't good or normal. I went inside the trailer and smelled electrical burning.
After some troubleshooting, I think I know the problem.
The generator had a power surge. I think it killed the power converter. I pulled it out. If I get close, I can smell burnt electrical. There are 2 round electrical components on it. One of them is slightly mushroomed on the top and appears to be split open.
I have no power in the camper.

I think I need to replace the power converter.

If you need any more information, just ask.

Any inuput would be appreciated.
Thank you.
builditguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Team

I didn't see on any of your posts what you have for an RV.
Place that info in your signature an folks will be better able to answer your questions and help.

I agree it doesn't sound good for the converter. After you get it out, it might be you can get by with just replacing the board.
You will have to know what size the converter is before ordering anything.
There should be a tag on it with that info.
I've posted three links below for you to check out. WFCO has a tech support line for questions/help.

WF-8900 MBA SERIES | Product Categories | wfcoelectronics.com

https://www.ltdrvparts.com/WFCO-55-A...-WF8955MBA.htm

WF-8955 MBA (Main Board Assembly) Installation | wfcoelectronics.com
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot about the trailer information. I will get it added.

It is a Crossroads, Sunset Trail, 2010. Truthfully, I don't remember the model. I think it has 29L on the side, but it looks like it should be a 29RL.

It is the same as this one.
https://www.generalrv.com/product/us...29rl-617225-29

I pulled it out, but couldn't find a model number. It only has a sticker on it that says, AC04W08A603500.

While I was there, I googled power converters. It looks just like this one.
WFCO 8900 Series, Main Board Assembly RV Power Converter Center, ..

Although this one says 55 amp and my trailer is a 30 amp. Doesn't necessarily mean it is the wrong one.

I will check out your links.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Welcome Builditguy.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Welcome. Sorry about your electrical issues. Just for future info. I use a Progressive Industries surge protector even with the generator. However, I have to use a neutral-ground plug in the generator or the surge protector gives a E2-Open ground message.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Hello from Mo.
About the converter the 30 amp is the ac side the 55 amp is the 12 volt side. In other words 30 amp ac in to the converter to run all your ac things -air cond. microwave. water heater when its on electric. fridg on electric and any thing you have plugged in.
55 amp output from the converter to run all the lights and the 12 volt start for the h2o heater and fridg when they are on gas and also charge your 12 volt battery. Last summer I had to replace my converter. I have the same one that you have. I found that the replacement board cost the same as the whole converter. I replaced mine with the new converter because they have made improvements sense 05 when my cruiser was built. It was a job but not to bad as I had to change all the wiring. I also took this oppertuinity to change all my 110 breakers as some were getting week.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:32 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I agree. I should have had a surge protector. Should always have a surge protector, even when plugged in, I just never bothered. Cost me this time.

I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. You know, maybe, "Yes replace the converter, but don't forget about ??????" Since this is something I've never had to deal with, I thought I should check it out.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Just a test to see if the signature is coming up now.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

My bet is the converter just went bad, causing the generator to do the surge thing.

As it failed the generator saw the issue and slowed/speed up trying to keep the voltage within specs.

Surge guard likely wouldn't have done any good as the issue was "downstream" from where it would have been.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Just a test to see if the signature is coming up now.

Thanks Greg.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier View Post
My bet is the converter just went bad, causing the generator to do the surge thing.

As it failed the generator saw the issue and slowed/speed up trying to keep the voltage within specs.

Surge guard likely wouldn't have done any good as the issue was "downstream" from where it would have been.
I would like to think this is the case, as I have been kicking myself for being lazy.
I appreciate the input.

On a positive note. Apparently the electrical was hooked up on Monday. I'm not that close, but I'm trying to find time, to get back.

I left my camper, so I'm anxious to get back and get things squared away.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I didn't see on any of your posts what you have for an RV.
Place that info in your signature an folks will be better able to answer your questions and help.

I agree it doesn't sound good for the converter. After you get it out, it might be you can get by with just replacing the board.
You will have to know what size the converter is before ordering anything.
There should be a tag on it with that info.
I've posted three links below for you to check out. WFCO has a tech support line for questions/help.

WF-8900 MBA SERIES | Product Categories | wfcoelectronics.com

https://www.ltdrvparts.com/WFCO-55-A...-WF8955MBA.htm

WF-8955 MBA (Main Board Assembly) Installation | wfcoelectronics.com
Just wanted to give an update. I have ordered and received all of the parts. Now I am just waiting to get them installed. Hopefully I can get back, by the end of the month.

I used the information provided, above. Gave the company a call and they were very helpful. Told me what part I needed and advised to order it from Amazon. Which I did.

They also confirmed another post. They suspected the circuit board was the problem and not the generator.

After doing some research, that does appear to be the case. I had noticed the battery had stopped charging. I was thinking it was a bad battery. It wasn't that new, so that does happen. I had replaced the battery, but it still wasn't charging. At the time, I had alot on my mind and didn't really put 2 and 2 together. I had tunnel vision. I was only thinking, I've got to get this thing moved. Not, why isn't the electric jack working.
I've had various minor electrical problems for about a month. I just kept blaming the generator.

Hopefully the next post will be to say that everything it good. I also have electrical service, now. Not hooked up, but it's on the pole.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Team

That's great news Greg. I hope you get it all ironed out and everything working the way it is suppose to when you're done. Good luck, and thanks a bunch for getting back to letting us know.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Final follow up.

Got the new circuit board installed and everything works. Actually, I noticed something that hasn't ever worked. When the lights in the living room, are on, the fan on the circuit board, runs. Anything that uses battery power causes the fan to run. Which is a good thing.
I got the trailer about 2 years ago and I never heard the fan. I'll bet the fan died and the circuit board was slowly cooking itself.

All is good. Everything works. Trailer is moved to the new location. All of the power is wired up and working. The well works. I dug up the septic. It needs to be pumped and a new cap installed. Not a big deal.

Spent 3 nights there, this week and going back this weekend.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Final follow up.

Got the new circuit board installed and everything works. Actually, I noticed something that hasn't ever worked. When the lights in the living room, are on, the fan on the circuit board, runs. Anything that uses battery power causes the fan to run. Which is a good thing.
I got the trailer about 2 years ago and I never heard the fan. I'll bet the fan died and the circuit board was slowly cooking itself.

All is good. Everything works. Trailer is moved to the new location. All of the power is wired up and working. The well works. I dug up the septic. It needs to be pumped and a new cap installed. Not a big deal.

Spent 3 nights there, this week and going back this weekend.
If you change out the lights to LED's the 12v draw will be low and the fan won't need to run.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
Site Team

Thanks for getting back to us with a report Greg.
Glad to hear all is working as it should. It's nice when things all fall into place and it works out.

Sounds like you have a nice spot for your trailer. Quiet, and no neighbors. Doesn't get any better then that.