Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
New Camper

All,

I have a some issues and need your advice. Just bought a 2005 Crossroads Zinger from a party in New Mexico. I am military, stationed in San Antonio, Texas, and I bought the trailer to live in while in Albuquerque for a year without my family. A friend looked it over for me and tested what he could. I bought the thing and when he towed it to his house and attempted to use the fresh water tank, he discovered a linewas busted and the pump had little pressure. We were aware of a small area of water damage under the storage are, which is located under the master bed. He had the local RV shop check it out and they wanted a ton of money to make the repairs. Here's my question to you smart, experienced folks:

1. How hard is it to replace the floor area wood beneath that storage area? Anyone done it and have some advice?

2. The RV place wants to charge $500 to replace that pump and line. How hard is it to replace these fresh water pumps? Is this something I can do myself?

I appreciate any advice you all can provide and look forward to reading through all the posts on here as I make this place my home.

Chuck
ebluvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Not knowing the model of your rig it's hard to say what kind of job it might be to tear into the floor.
Your water pump is not hard to replace. You just have to find it and get the make and model # then pick one up from camping world or any our place of your choice. Once you have that info you can probably buy one cheaper at Amazon. They usually are held in with 2--4 screws, and then it's two water line fittings to unhook.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
New Camper

Its the 32 foot Zinger model. The RV place said it was an in tank pump. Sound right?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebluvr72
Its the 32 foot Zinger model. The RV place said it was an in tank pump. Sound right?

Truthfully, never heard of an in-tank water pump. Most are easy to replace although working space may be limited. You may need to better identify the problem, maybe a crack in the tank or a pinched water pickup tube, the actual pump may be fine. Also, if the problem is limited to the tank or pump, then it doesn't actually need to be fixed if you are hooked up to city water.

Maybe you don't need to replace the floor in the storage area. If the cause of the damage is fixed, then it may not get worse. Since this is not active floor area or visible, maybe a simply patch over the existing floor is sufficient.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I agree with Larry. If you are able to use city water you would be able to track down your leak at your leasure.

To check the wood floor that you think is damaged.
1 - get an AWL
2 - get a scrap piece of plywood or OSB.
3 - push the awl lightly into the scrap so you get a feel what that feel like.
4 - go to the damaged floor and repeat what you did on the scrap. If the floor is damaged you will be able to feel the diference.

The good thing about that is you don't have to pull up carpet to check the floor.

That's my story and I'm sticken to it
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the advice. I think the RV place is being a bit shady with me since I'm not there to deal with them. You're right though, I can wait on the pump and so forth, as I will be on city water the whole time. Since I haven't laid eyes on the deck yet, I will wait and see what I'm dealing with when I get there. Thanks again!