Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New RV - Leaking Tire

Hi All,
Picked up our brand new rig a few weeks back and noticed one tire losing pressure about 4 psi per week.
Seems like a hidden defect to us. Nothing that would have been noticeable at pickup or even shortly after.
Dealer claims there is no warranty for tires.
What do y'all think?
Boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

A dealer worth his/her salt would have said "there's no warranty on tires but seeing as how you just bought it and in the interest of good customer service, let us flip it off the rim and back on to see if perhaps the bead wasn't set or perhaps have a bad valve stem."

The response you received however, appears to be par for the course for most (but definitely not all) dealerships.

"The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"
divey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Have you checked to see where it’s leaking. You could’ve picked up a nail on the way home. Get a spray bottle, put some water in it and squirt some dish detergent in the bottle and shake it up. Jack the wheel off the ground so you can spin it. Start spraying the crap out of it as you very slowly turn the tire. If you see bubbles you have your leak. If nothing is leaking on the tire itself start spraying the edge of the rim and around the valve stem. If it is a nail, don’t pull it out. Take the tire and wheel off and take it to any tire place and they can plug it, or replace the valve stem or remount it. Also, plugs will usually last the life of the tire. Let us know what you find out.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like a good opportunity to jack it up and take the tire off to see you have all the right gear to do a tire change. Maybe you have a typical piece of Chinese junk and you'll be doing yourself a favor before it decides to tear the side of your trailer off. If there brand new and chinese junk see if you can exchange them for 4 Goodyear Endurance, steel high pressure valve stems, and a balance on all 4. Leave those worries behind when your trying to get to a camp site. Sometimes warranty isn't wort the trouble, if there just replacing the problem with more junk for the next trip down the road...
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

If you replace the valve stems I would suggest going with all metal stems in case you decide to go with a TPMS in the future.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Good suggestion from Papa-T. I would also add that if you still can't find the leak, take the valve cap off and spray the soapy water on the schrader valve. Sometimes the valve cores leak. You will be lucky if that is the problem because that's the easiest to fix. You just unscrew the core and screw a new one in.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I would recommend removing the China bomb tires that came on the unit and purchase five new good quality tires with metal valve stems before you have a blowout and cause damage to you new RV.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Crossroads junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
Hi All,
Picked up our brand new rig a few weeks back and noticed one tire losing pressure about 4 psi per week.
Seems like a hidden defect to us. Nothing that would have been noticeable at pickup or even shortly after.
What do y'all think?
Check rim, had pin hole and would not fix so had to buy new 300.00 one.
Bchaisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

RIM

Hopefully the dealer checked to make sure it wasn't a cracked rim.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
Hi All,
What do y'all think?
Had one tire on a van that would do that, lose 5-10/week if driven, TPMS alarm every 2-3 days if driven daily, but lose nothing if not driven, tire shop found no leak, finally I over-inflated 5-10-PSI, (guess it finally seated different?), but have not put air in it in 2-3-months now, has stayed at rated pressure. I may ask for a RIM seat inspection/ wire brush NEXT time tire is rotated/ changed? Wore me out for a while :-)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, warranty