Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

New tires and maintenance!

For those of you that don’t really think about tires, bearings, grease, brakes, etc. It’s that time of the year (at least for me). So, it’s been five years since I replace my original china bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. Checking the tires this fall/winter and the tires still look new. Have made (what I call) twelve major trips on the tires that were 16 hours each trip; and other small trips each year within an hour or so from the house. Even though the tires look new I just don’t trust a set of tires after five years. So, I ordered a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires. I put the 5er up on jack stands and removed the tires and wheels. I dropped off the tires and wheels today at my local tire shop. Picking the new set up on Thursday. In the meantime, I pulled the hubs this evening and checked the brakes and bearings. All looked good! I put them all back and greased the bearings. Now I’ll feel more secure on my next trip in April with everything checked and a new pair of shoes (including the spare tire). I have a friend that has had his set of tires on for eight years and he just don’t understand why I am replacing mine since they still have good tread on them. To each is own I guess.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Also, forgot to mention in my post that I did manually repack my wheel bearings using a Lisle bearing grease packer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D0FD03B-7563-4EEA-852A-11D2AEC02EF0.jpeg (49.9 KB, 7 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 01-08-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Just wonder if you also replace your tow vehicle tires at 5 years, Personally I would not replace quality tires until tread wear or weather checks warranted it. I do not run offshore tires on anything though.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:06 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like “not so cheap” insurance changing out quality tires. I would only do that if I got over half my money back selling the used tires to someone who needs them for a car hauler.
But, like you said, to each his own.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I change my vehicle tires when they are worn. Typically the rule of thumb on Rv tires are to change around the 5 year mark. So, if anyone feels safe to run their Rv tires until worn that’s fine. I personally wouldn’t do that. The difference in Rv and vehicles in my opinion is; when you have a flat on a vehicle it goes flat. A flat on a camper can result in a lot of damage to the structure of the camper. I’ve had friends that had flats going down the interstate and the tire came apart tearing a big section of their sidewall off the camper. Another friend had damaged to the side and damaged his hot water heater as well. So, everyone has their own opinion on the matter. We each have to take responsibility and do what we think is best for ourselves.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
New Camper

New tires and maintenance!

I replace my camper tires every 5 years too and I also run Goodyear Endurance tires. I never make 5 years on vehicle tires so that’s a non issue.
8upbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:31 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8upbowhunter View Post
I replace my camper tires every 5 years too and I also run Goodyear Endurance tires. I never make 5 years on vehicle tires so that’s a non issue.
Tru Dat ! Lol