Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New Tires? getting our trailer ready to go

After about three years in outdoor storage (due to illness in the family), we are finally getting our 2010 Viewfinder Cruiser into roadworthy shape. Today, after weeks of interior repairs, we took our shakedown cruise, just a short hop to get used to the drive with our new tow vehicle. We wound up with a flat tire due to a tear in the sidewall. The truth is, I'm not sure how old the tires are and whether they had been replaced since we purchased it used. What is the average tire life expectancy? Would we be wise to replace them?
Thanks for your advice to a newcomer
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The tires that come on campers are usually china bombs. I replaced mine after two years. Actually I worried about them the whole time. Replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's a website that will tell you how to find the tire manufactured date.
https://www.loveyourrv.com/check-rv-tires-age/

Agree with PapaT, Goodyear Endurance.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Yes the best way is to check the date on your tires if they are from 2010 then there will be a 4 number sequence. Starting with DOT and than the first two numbers are the week they were made and last two the year for example 2516 is twenty fifth week of 2016. And as for sitting for three years it probably a good idea too buy new tires. I just bought a 2010 Cruiser CTX it s tires were from 2010 and probably only had 2 to 3 thousand miles on them as the trailer did not get much in the last 5 years. They looked great but rv tires have a life of around 6 years even if you don't use them. I purchased Carlisle brand a very good tire. Good luck in your purchasing and enjoy that Cruiser.

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CTX 26 RKX
1997 2500 Silverado
Detroit 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Bc Canada
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Agree with Papa-T: I kept the original Chinese Linfong tires on our trailer for 3 years, and worried about them for the last 2. I put Goodyear Endurance on and have much more peace of mind, plus a higher speed rating and higher load rating. Many stock tires are weight-rated *barely* high enough for the trailer and are rated for 65 mph.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

Never determine the life of a RV tire by the tread. Even if it may still have the little hairy rubber things from the mold & like new tread, if it's 5+/- years old by the manufacturer date replace it. Sell the take offs to someone with a utility trailer or farm implement that won't have $1000s damage with a blowout.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all who replied. My husband just went out and using your advice, found that we are driving on taskmaster tires that were last replaced in September of 2015. No idea of the quality of the brand, but from what you all seem to be saying, safety would seem to dictate replacements, especially given the fact that we are novices to the road.
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Any advice on these brands

Hi, my mechanic's tire place sells tow max or trailer king. Any word on these brands? We had a nasty experience with the last RV repair place we used and don't want to deal with them again. Any national chains that sell RV tires that you would recommend?
Old 08-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Goodyear Endurance
I got mine at Discount Tire.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Find a tire place that sells Goodyear and if not in stock have them order them in.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Goodyear Endurance at Discount tire. Discount Tire will match any price so check online and also Goodyear site for rebates.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Site Team

I believe

Brooks - Huff Tire & Auto Centers

around Baltimore carries Endurance tires.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I also went with the Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire. I can’t say enough good about them.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
Hi, my mechanic's tire place sells tow max or trailer king. Any word on these brands? We had a nasty experience with the last RV repair place we used and don't want to deal with them again. Any national chains that sell RV tires that you would recommend?
Those 2 brands are normally found on RVs fresh from the factory, more commonly called China Bombs, because they are probably the cheapest tire the factory can find by the boxcar load.
Most are recommending GY Endurance, which I haven't used, typically their price is much higher than others. They are relatively new for the RV market & apparently having good reviews. At nearly twice the price I'm (my opinion) not sure they're twice the tire compared to some of the others.
I have used & can recommend Carlisle & Sailun brands, yes both are Chinese brands, but both have served me well without issues.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #15
Site Team

TT, they are not twice the price. I've seen ST235/85/16 from $165 to 190 a tire. Made in USA. I paid $165 from discount tire last spring.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
TT, they are not twice the price. I've seen ST235/85/16 from $165 to 190 a tire. Made in USA. I paid $165 from discount tire last spring.
Notice I said "nearly twice the price"!
Last I priced Carlisle through Walmart were $89+/-, which equals "nearly twice" of your $165 GYs.
If you're happy with whatever tire at whatever price that's great, just trying to inform others that there are other options that are just as good at better prices.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

The search for tires

Spent the day seeking out tires. I even spoke to Goodyear Customer Service who searched for me. Due to Covid, it's unlikely that I will be able to find GY tires in the correct size until the end of September if then. We could be off the road for some time and we want to get to Dallas and see the grandkids. Covid closed the factory. In the meantime, thank you for the recommendation of Brooks-Huff and Carlisle. I trust Trey Huff and they recommended the Carlisle tires which are also highly rated and somewhat cheaper. I think we may go with them, since Brooks-Huff stands behind their products. Thank you all for your advice.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #18
Site Team

You can say what you want about the price of the Goodyear tires, but I have seen, and heard of instances where an RV had a blow out with a Goodyear tire. As you are all aware of, a blow out usually causes considerable damage to the side and under side of the RV. Goodyear came to bat and picked up the bill for the repair.

I don't believe I have ever heard of any of the other brands doing like wise.
For what it's worth, I run Goodyear on everything I own.

There is all kinds of ideas and opinions that float around. Just be careful and make sure you sort out the oats from the chaff.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Team

TT, If you think a $89 rv tire is the way to go. good for you. You only get what you pay for and nobody will ever convince me to buy those China bombs. Heard they now come with a virus.

Seems the overall consensus is the Good Year Endurance. Even some manufacturers are putting them on their Rv's from the factory.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I agree with you Mark. There are a few things I will always pay extra for, Sliced bread, Charmin toilet paper, brakes and tires for all of my vehicles. Not worth it in the long run to go with the cheapest.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote