Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #21
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
Spent the day seeking out tires. I even spoke to Goodyear Customer Service who searched for me. Due to Covid, it's unlikely that I will be able to find GY tires in the correct size until the end of September if then. We could be off the road for some time and we want to get to Dallas and see the grandkids. Covid closed the factory. In the meantime, thank you for the recommendation of Brooks-Huff and Carlisle. I trust Trey Huff and they recommended the Carlisle tires which are also highly rated and somewhat cheaper. I think we may go with them, since Brooks-Huff stands behind their products. Thank you all for your advice.
I think you'll be happy with the Carlisle choice, even if it was by default.
I've known fellow travelers with GY blowouts, some had GY replace the tires & repair the RV while others they didn't. The thing to remember from those that have gotten repairs from GY is if a blowout occurs you have to retrieve all the pieces possible & save the carcass to return to GY if wanting them to cover damages, otherwise it's 50-50 odds that they will or not.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The thing to remember from those that have gotten repairs from GY is if a blowout occurs you have to retrieve all the pieces possible & save the carcass to return to GY if wanting them to cover damages, otherwise it's 50-50 odds that they will or not.

Seems like a reasonable request on the part of Goodyear, and probably would not be to much effort for anybody to comply.
When you figure the cost of repairing an RV from the damage that can happen from a blow out--most people would figure it was well worth the effort.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
TT, If you think a $89 rv tire is the way to go. good for you. You only get what you pay for and nobody will ever convince me to buy those China bombs. Heard they now come with a virus.

Seems the overall consensus is the Good Year Endurance. Even some manufacturers are putting them on their Rv's from the factory.
I think he'll be happy with the Carlisle choice, even if it was by default.
I've known fellow travelers with GY blowouts, some had GY replace the tires & repair the RV while others they didn't. The thing to remember from those that have gotten repairs from GY is if a blowout occurs you have to retrieve all the pieces possible & save the carcass to return to GY if wanting them to cover damages, otherwise it's 50-50 odds that they will or not.
If any or all want GY tires then by all means it's totally your/their choice, as it is mine to buy the cheap stuff that I've tried myself. As I said earlier, I was not telling anyone what to buy or NOT to buy, just informing them that there are other tried/proven choices, whether from China or not, with or without the virus.
I run Michelins on all my vehicles so it's not that I'm a cheapskate, I just try to get the best value for my $$ & try to help others do the same. That said, IMHO GY Endurance, although possibly great tires, were/are not the best value for ME.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #24
Site Team

OK, I think everybody has had a chance to state their opinion. (some numerous times)
I also think the op has enough info to proceed with his decision.
So maybe it's time to move on?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #25
Gone Traveling

Thought that was the idea behind these forums?
Fellow rvers post a question or ask for help so we offer suggestions, give how to advice to fix whatever they need or just offer an honest opinion on how to use something or a good product to purchase from our personal experiences.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
Site Team

If you haven't done so, maybe you should read the rules,and if by chance you have read them, maybe a refresher course.
Couple examples.
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
  • We will not tolerate bigotry in any form, including posts intended to incite expressions of such bigotry from others.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #27
Seasonal Camper

Sorry Lloyd, I don't think that was warranted and agree with TT on the purpose of forums, to exchange ideas.
I personally thought it was a good conversation on the tire topic. Many good points relayed by several folks.
Singling out TT isn't the way to go here.
I may not agree with his tire opinion, but I will defend his right to have an opinion on the subject.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Sorry Lloyd, I don't think that was warranted and agree with TT on the purpose of forums, to exchange ideas.
I personally thought it was a good conversation on the tire topic. Many good points relayed by several folks.
I may not agree with his tire opinion, but I will defend his right to have an opinion on the subject.
I agree, this is a good thread.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I agree, this is a good thread.

I totally agree guys. This is a good thread. That is the reason I posted a few of the forum rules to try and keep it that way.
If you guys would like to discuss this further, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #30
Gone Traveling

Thank you John & Russ!
After reading the rules, AGAIN, I personally don't feel I violated any of them, simply posted my opinion from my experience.
But on this particular thread I'm DONE!
Old 08-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

I would like to add one more thing. The op is entitled to purchase whatever tire they feel comfortable and have confidence in, that being said whatever tire people choose to run it is very important to run the correct tire pressure and I highly recommend a good tpms. It can help as an early warning to a potential problem.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

Still trying for Goodyear

I may have a possibility for Goodyear Endurance. Problem is, my tires are ST205 /75 R14. They only have an R15. Will an R15 fit my rims and am I courting disaster by going up an inch?
Thank you once again for putting up with my dithering.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #33
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I may have a possibility for Goodyear Endurance. Problem is, my tires are ST205 /75 R14. They only have an R15. Will an R15 fit my rims and am I courting disaster by going up an inch?
The Endurance is available in your size.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #34
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Get them to order in the correct/same size. You can't put a 15'' tire on a 14'' rim..
Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #35
Site Team

Do you know what model viewfinder yours is? I see there is several.
Like previously stated, it looks like they make your tire size.
As far as going to a 15in. tire, you will have to buy new rims for that. The only problem I can see you running into is the wheel wells on your trailer not having enough clearance.

You can measure that and see what you have there. Remember, if you decide to go with the 15. tire. it only adds 1/2in more in height.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #36
RC3
Weekend Camper

I put Goodyear endurance on my Trailer. Drove from Calgary to Miami twice. Over 12,000 miles. Still have plenty of tread and the trailer handles better with the high ply on the sidewalks for stablity, still. I’m still using them.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

Thank you once again for the information. If you purchase tires online, are garages willing to mount them. Would you need a garage that handles trailers often and are there factors in the balancing and mounting that pertain to RVs in particular?
Pearl
Old 08-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #38
RC3
Weekend Camper

Yes, they will install tires and the proper valve, if you ask. They just charge you for the installation. I did that once with a good year dealer. They even put on a metal valve body.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #39
Full Time Camper

I put my 5er up on jack stands and took the tires and wheels to my local shop. He also ordered them for me cheeper that I could purchase online.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #40
Weekend Camper

I had ours installed when I had the trailer inspected, but the regular shop we use would also have installed them. Be sure you get new valve stems rated for the higher tire pressure (stock tires on ours ran 50 psi; Endurance run 65 psi). Balancing is, IMO, personal preference. I know many people swear by it but in all the years I've towed I never had trailer tires balanced and never noticed any untoward vibrations or uneven tire wear.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote