Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Are you familiar with this? Read somewhere that it some what stabiblizes the bounce as you walk. We now use the orange plastic things.......wonder if this is worth the investment? We live in our 28RL for 3 months of the year. thanks
ccsabathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I got a set. I purchased around August. So far i have been pleased..

I didn't notice any bounce reduction but i like them better than the plastic wedges i used to use. The only thing i noticed is once i install and the tire temp comes down. You need to re-tighten. They will loosen as the temperature of the tire comes down from the trip. So a couple hours after i install. I will check and crank them a few more times. As i have had to do on other types of chocks.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Like my BAL tire locks, they do cut down on movement in my application and I feel they are safer then ordinary chocking.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I am also very happy with my BAL-X Chocks. Much more secure than a flimsy plastic chock, and does reduce movement too. I would not be without them, they were worth every penny!

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

The chocks reduce the front and back trailer movement.We use a homemade chock design that was posted by a member in the old forum (not accessible). The pipe clamps cost about $6 to $8 each, a couple of pieces of 3/4 inch pipe and a couple of pieces of scrap 2x4 and a 1" drill will do the job just fine.

</span>
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I made a set out of old car screw jacks rerod and flat stock. They work great.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I made a set just like pegger's. Very easy to make and they work well. They do make the rig more stable (less wiggle). The bal chocks are probably a bit easier to use but for the price they want for them I'll stick with the home made version

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I use the BAL chocks. Made more of a difference on our old 30sk with the rear sissor jacks than on the new 30sk with the rear power jacks. The sissor jacks just have to much flex.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I had a set that I'd built from scrap 4x4's and 3/8 ready rod. They worked quite well but after having to pound them out from between the wheels everytime I finally decided to spend the money on the BAL X CHOK and it was money well spent. Easy to to install and remove plus they take up less than half the space of the old wooden ones.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I use the BAL chocks.They are probably the best out there and they aregreat for locking down the wheels so your rig will not roll. But I honestly can't say they do anything for movement in the rig. It may help some, but I can't tell.

I tried the slide jacks on my biggest slide and that helped a lot, but the pressure they applied to the slide warped the floor a little so when I brought the slide in the inner edge of the floor was raised up quite a bit. So I stopped using them.

I now have the JT Strong stabilizers andTHAT is the solution to the rockin and rollin. I paid full price at the RV show in Quartsite last winter. But there is a thread on this forum that describes aknock off (don't remember the name)of the JT's and from what I can see it is madeexaxctly the same and is much cheaper. If I had seen this thread first I would have gone with the knock off at about half price. Check the mods thread or search function under stabilizers.

Do yourself a favor and get these stabilizers first and avoid spending the $$$ on slide jacks or pin stabilizers. They all help but not as well as the JT's or there knock offs.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeman
I use the BAL chocks.They are probably the best out there and they aregreat for locking down the wheels so your rig will not roll. But I honestly can't say they do anything for movement in the rig. It may help some, but I can't tell.

I tried the slide jacks on my biggest slide and that helped a lot, but the pressure they applied to the slide warped the floor a little so when I brought the slide in the inner edge of the floor was raised up quite a bit. So I stopped using them.

I now have the JT Strong stabilizers andTHAT is the solution to the rockin and rollin. I paid full price at the RV show in Quartsite last winter. But there is a thread on this forum that describes aknock off (don't remember the name)of the JT's and from what I can see it is madeexaxctly the same and is much cheaper. If I had seen this thread first I would have gone with the knock off at about half price. Check the mods thread or search function under stabilizers.

Do yourself a favor and get these stabilizers first and avoid spending the $$$ on slide jacks or pin stabilizers. They all help but not as well as the JT's or there knock offs.

JT StrongArms are the way to go. I mounted a set on our CF30SK last spring and that got rid of the rocking and rolling once and or all. They're not cheap but they work!Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just started my research on the stabilizers available as I plan to add them next spring. Found four potentials based on similar technologies: JT StrongArms (as mentioned) Steadyfast, Plug-it-right, and Eliminator by Ultra-Fab. Haven't compared pricing yet as I have all winter to watch variousoutlets for sales, etc. I believe they'll range from $250 to $350 not installed.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn
Just started my research on the stabilizers available as I plan to add them next spring. Found four potentials based on similar technologies: JT StrongArms (as mentioned) Steadyfast, Plug-it-right, and Eliminator by Ultra-Fab. Haven't compared pricing yet as I have all winter to watch variousoutlets for sales, etc. I believe they'll range from $250 to $350 not installed.

Yep, that's about the price. Installation is fairly easy. If you're handy with a couple of wrenches, tape measure and an electric drill, you can do yourself.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Yeah I paid $350 plus tax at the RV show. They are very easy to install. About a half a day and 2-3 beers taking your time. Includes moving the spare tire back 2-3 inches.

The knock offs I was refering to in my earlier posts are "Eliminators". They look to be exactly the same as my JT's and were on sale earlier this year at Camping World for $215. Now they are $280. There is a post in the "Mods" section showing how to do it and the instructions are easy to follow.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Take a look at the Mods posted by obiwanobi his item #21. Continue through the replies in that section and he has another post with details and pictures of the stabilizers that he made. Looks like a good installation.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote