Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

No Calgon in Canada.

Calgon water softener is no longer sold in Canada or any Calgon products for that matter. Borax is probaby my only choice for a water softener for the GeoMethod in my holding tanks. My question is how much Borax powder should I add to each tank? 1.5 cups Borax plus 1 cup detergent for black, and gray 1.5 cups Borax plus .5 cup detergent, give or take, or should I be adding more Borax??? Thanks in advance for any help on this because I certainly want to prevent any issues in this area. If you have a proven recipe that don't need Calgon Water softener pencil in your formula...
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Calgon is hard to find in the states too. I get mine on Amazon.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Calgon is hard to find in the states too. I get mine on Amazon.
Sodium carbonate works just as well as Calgon for the GEO method and is much cheaper. We've used it exclusively for 12 years in our RV's; no other chemicals. You can buy this at any WalMart in the CLEANING SECTION labeled as "Washing Soda". Arm and Hammer sells it right next to it's baking soda.
"Other Uses for Washing Soda
In addition to uses in the laundry room, washing soda also has other uses around the house. It is a good cleaner for cutting through baked-on grime in the kitchen, soap scum in bathrooms and unclogging drains. For cleaning, mix a solution of 1/2 cup of washing soda to one gallon of warm water. To unclog drains, pour one cup of washing soda into the clogged drain followed by two or three cups of boiling water. Allow the washing soda to work for thirty minutes and then flush the drain well with plain water."

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk