Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi, I am hopingI can get help, we have only about 2 amp coming in. The box outside is show 117 and the inside is like a Trickel., does this make sense, sorry ifI am not explaining it very well. We just had a new converter put in. Thanks for any help
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You mean you have 117 VOLTS outside, not amps and that is AC voltage. Anyway, not sure where you are measuring or reading this, but it is OK. Now, what you are reading inside, you could be reading 2 VOLTS AC or 2V DC. But since you mentioned that you have a new converter, I'm guessing it is 2 VOLTS DC when it should be between 12V and 13.6V. Chances are the converter isn't working or isn't properly connected.

There are several things that operate on AC voltage, the air conditioner, the water heater, the refrigerator, any of the wall outlets and sometimes the light over the dining table. Do these work OK? If so, check the breaker panel, there should be one circuit breaker for the converter, if that is off, then there is no power getting to the converter. Otherwise, the converter is likely bad or the output is not wired to the battery.

If none of the items listed above work, then there is a problem with the main breaker or power cord coming into the camper.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Larry, and what you have said is very interesting, The park ranger came and changed the breaker at the post, this did not help, they said it was in my rig, I phoned for a mobile man and he came and tested the power at the end of the plug in cord, power was OK until load was put on the cord, the voltage then fluskuated between 60 volts and O, then he plugged the power cord into 20amp circuit at the post and the power in the rig read 120 volts. so his conclusion was the 30amp plug at the post was not working properly. We are running on the 20volt for the night and keeping all on the propane. Will probably move to a different site in the morning. We are in Thousand Trails Park in Palm Springs. I appreciate your help very much, thank you again. I do wish we had been able to spend more time with you when we met in Indian Waters, but it seemed we came one day and you were gone the next day Take care
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I've seen some strange problems with power pedestals and power cords. It does sound like you have a case of a high resistance connection some place, works OK without load, but can't pass enough current with a load. It may be inside the power pedestal, could be corroded contacts in the pedestal outlet. If so, moving to another site will fix the problem. But could also be a failure in your 30 amp plug due to repeated connecting and disconnecting, a wire has broken, but still making limited contact. A mobile tech can easily replace the 30 amp plug with a new one. You should get this done ASAP.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Here we are and no further ahead, the man came out and changed the plug in the pedastal, change a new breaker, still only 33 volts in rig, 114 volts at plug, they suggest calling a different mobile man, but at a cost of 135.00 just to come out and tell me it is the park post, the park says it is not, I am hestitating. We did change the 50amp plug on the side of the rig and nothing changed. We are still running on the 20amp plug and inside receiving 114volts. Thanks again hope this info helps a bit
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have been reading this post and I agree with Larry. I would get a new plug or if my plugs could be taking apart I would do so and check all connections.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I would look for an open neutral [white] wire someplace along the line. Check continuity of your cord from plug to connector of all four conductors especially the white [neutral] one. I also would not continue using your 120 volt items until it is repaired as you can ruin a lot of things with that situation! A good electrician should be able to solve it for you.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your reply, Drove over to Benlo RV shop today and he said he would look at it but said that it was very strange, he felt it was not my rig but the post underneath. He said if it was the rig we could not run on 20, it workes OK until a load is put on it and then there s nothing. Tried plugging into the next door neighbor's post and yes it worked, went right up there, so the electric man is back again and taking it apart again, But we will move to another site tomorrow, just to be sure. Thanks again for taking an interest in my post and trying to help, it is much appreciated
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Today all is good, did not have to move, they just changed it all to 50amps, something to do with only one leg working, and after we leave this site they will redo the repair to the post. Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I'm glad you came back and told us. Glad it's taken care of.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I know it seems like hindsight now, but I would have moved the trailer and tested at another site.

Nothing against the park ranger, but I have had enough experts be wrong and it would have been rather simple to see where the problem was.

The "mobile man" should have his license revoked. I don't mind paying people, but for what they charge, they should know what they are doing.

Had an rv place that wanted to change a converter when a GFI plug didn't work.

beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

When the post got fixed, then the water heater does not come on with Electric it works great on propane only, any ideas on this on how to fix. Thanks, it only happened after the post got repaired.Wondering if this is easy for me to fix.I drained the water, and cleaned it, thinking that would help. thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

The control board runs on 12 V DC, so if propane is OK, then at least part of the control board is also OK. Generally, if electric is bad, it means the heating element has failed, just like in a home electric water heater. But you were reporting under voltage problems, not over voltage, so kind of hard to understand how that would cause the heating element to fail. Did the water heater work OK before for sure? Or maybe you hadn't really checked it before. Anyway, IF you accidentally turned on the water heater w/o having water in the tank, that will burn out the element immediately. When I drain the water heater, I always flip the breaker off, too ez to hit the wrong switch on the control panel and accidentally turn the water heater on.

If you have an ohm-meter, you can check the heating element. Just make sure the correct breaker is off and the switch is off. I can't recall the actual wattage of the element, but guess around 1000 watts, so resistance should be about 1 ohm, maybe as low as 0.5 ohm and as high as 2 ohms. If you get no reading, then the element is open and no heat.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thanks again. You are so helpful.The electric did not come on but propane Ok, then realized the converter was not working, (Brand new), Fireplace plugin was not working. On reading up on the converter it says that it will work without having batteries, switched the battery off, tried the 12v lights and they just flickered. Then proceeded to unplug the 50amp outside on the pedestal and plugged into 20amps, Everything worked fine, so therefore the 50amp plug that the park replaced was not producing 50amp current to parts of my rig. Three days left in the park, decided to stay on the 20amps. This scares me bit not sure what is happening in these park pedestals or the qualification of the electricians. How does one protect themselves. Thanks again for you interest
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

50 amp service has two 110V hot legs, so it sounds like the park has been able to get just one leg working and the other is open. When you plug into 20 amp service, both legs of the RV are tied together so now everything works. But you are limited to 20 amps vs. 100 amps ( 50 amps times two hot legs) with the normal shore power cord.

The way to protect your rig is to have a surge protector and/or a voltmeter to check proper voltage and polarity before hooking up to the park pedestal.Edited by: Dayle1

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
The way to protect your rig is to have a surge protector and/or a voltmeter to check proper voltage and polarity before hooking up to the park pedestal.
I agree.
The way some of these parks are, those two items are necessary.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Thanks everyone, you have convinced me I need a surge protector...I will get one this spring before my next trip

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaucho1981
Today all is good, did not have to move, they just changed it all to 50amps, something to do with only one leg working, and after we leave this site they will redo the repair to the post. Thanks

Here's the best reason to carry this 110v tester with adaptors and test prior to hooking up. Such a common problem out there.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-50542-Receptacle-Improper-Indicator/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358192806&sr=8-5&keywords=voltage+tester

Cheap too, less than 135 big ones as noted above for electrical help.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaucho1981

Here's the best reason to carry this 110v tester with adaptors and test prior to hooking up. Such a common problem out there.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-50542-Receptacle-Improper-Indicator/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358192806&sr=8-5&keywords=voltage+tester

Cheap too, less than 135 big ones as noted above for electrical help.
"DITTO" Thanks for posting this device. Checking the campground power is one of the first things we check. We leave it plugged into this adapter for checking the 30 amp recepticle...... http://www.rvplus.com/arcon-adapter-15f-30m-triangulr-bulk-ad-007.html?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&a mp;utm_content=CS-14054&utm_campaign=googlepla&gclid=CPn767K L6bQCFYxaMgody3gArQ
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Which surge protector should we buy, we have the 50amp rig but only use 30amp as that is usually what the parks offer, and this tester, that is in the link, would it tell me if the second leg was not operating,as when the electrician came with his tester a multimeter, it showed 117volts at the plug but would not carry the load, so we have had no more problems since we left it plugged into the 20amps, and we are gone tomorrow and glad to be going. and no damage doneto my water heater or converter