Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I noticed the other day that my tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals are not working on the back of the fiver but the running lights above are working. Tried another truck and still not working so pretty sure it is trailer.

Anyone know if there are fuses for these? There are lots of breakers and fuses on the front of the converter but nothing marked as trailer lights.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

The clearance lights and tail lights are the same circuit but the others will be different circuits. I would check plug/cord connections first where it attaches to rv wires. Next I would pull the tail lights out and check connections there unless you can find a wiring split point at the rear of unit. Check for ground/negative connections as well as positive connections. These circuits will not come from the converter so will not be fuses there for any of these lightsto my knowledge. Fusing will be at the tow vehicle.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I agree with Carl, it could be a loose/broken ground. Or worst case, a broken wire somewhere out of sight.

Jim & Linda with Candy Bar and Misty
'06 Chev 3500 DuraMax w/Banks
'10 Seville
'09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
GSCM USN(Ret)
ALR,PGR,VFW 3788, AL460
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I generally have a corroded socket where the bulb is inserted. Try cleaning the bulb and socket contacts, then use some electrical dialectric grease on the bulb contacts to keep water and moisture from corroding it in the future.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Start at thebeginningthese fixtures leak water and will blow the bulb check the bulb first then put your multimeter in the socket to see if the power is getting back there

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Beaker, really appreciate it if you would let us all know what your problem was when you get it corrected.
Thanks.

Jim & Linda with Candy Bar and Misty
'06 Chev 3500 DuraMax w/Banks
'10 Seville
'09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
GSCM USN(Ret)
ALR,PGR,VFW 3788, AL460
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

You might want to double check the fuse in your tow vehicle. It is possible that moisture or other fault blew the fuse (could have affected both trucks). If the fuse is burned, you won't know when you remedy the problem.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

There should be a junction box inside your pinbox. This is where your umbilical cord feeds the RV from the truck. You might check there for loose/corroded wires.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

"You might want to double check the fuse in your tow vehicle."

Hooked up to my utility trailer and lights work.

"There should be a junction box inside your pinbox."

A quick check on this at lunch time. Looked good in there.

"Start at thebeginningthese fixtures leak water and will blow the bulb check the bulb first then put your multimeter in the socket to see if the power is getting back there "

Will probably check this tomorrow. It's dark when I get home from work. Don't think that is the problem...both sides are out but would be the logical place to start.

All thoughts still apprecitated!!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

And the winner is:

"I generally have a corroded socket where the bulb is inserted. Try cleaning the bulb and socket contacts, then use some electrical dialectric grease on the bulb contacts to keep water and moisture from corroding it in the future. "

Both bulb contacts badly eroded.

Now to figure out how to clean the fixture contacts.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Several of us owners have replaced the taillight assembly with LED assemblies. It did not cost that much and was an easy replacement. I had the corroded socket issue every year and got tired of removing the lens and cleaning everything. Same issue with the front light near the landing gear switch. The new lights are much brighter and don't leak.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Petroleum jelly (Vaselene) works very well once you.have cleaned the contacts to prevent future corrosion. There are many products on the market for this but none as good of a value.

I agree with the swap to LEDs. Best solution.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Several of us owners have replaced the taillight assembly with led assemblies. It did not cost that much and was an easy replacement. I had the corroded socket issue every year and got tired of removing the lens and cleaning everything. Same issue with the front light near the landing gear switch. The new lights are much brighter and don't leak.
Yes even I have made these modifications and I am pretty satisfied with the results.

Edited by: Thermor
Thermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I was having to change bulbs at least once a year because of water getting in the lens. LED's eliminated that problem. Another major benefit is they are MUCH brighter that the incandescent bulbs. I find now that when changing lanes folks can actually see my turn signal and I get lots more help.

http://www.commandelectronics.com
Edited by: pulpwood007
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote