Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just purchased a new CF26RKX Cruiser CTX. Our first fifth wheel.

We have used the trailer on the way home from the dealerfor a few nights and had to use the furnace as it was very cool in the evenings. We found the fan on the furnace to be very noisy....almost a high pitched whine. Also, the vents in the bedroom blow very little air. Is this normal??
201126rkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

buy a roll of aluminum tape ...2" wide stuff.
Remove the registers and seal ducts.
Also, tape the extra openings in the furnace shut
Don't know about the noise.
Do the same with the A/C vents.
Yes, the A/C vent covers just pull out....they are very tight.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

yep, ours is noisy, too. good suggestions from Walt. when you have the registers out, clean all the leftover "stuff" out of the duct work. Ours had lots of it. We put adjustable registers in the kitchen and living room area so we could close some down to get more heat in the bedroom.
New stuff always needs some adjustments.
C
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Site Team

I got some insulation from my furnace guy that is used on the inside of the fan boxes in residential (home) furnaces, and glued it on all theinside walls. It cut the noise down to a tolerable level, but it still is quite annoying.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I tried several different sound deading techniques but none seemed to work effective. Things that I had to be aware of where:

heat surrounding the unit.
not enough volume to allow proper intake air.

I finally gave up and will probably use electric ceramic heaters because of the price of propane

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Hello Rod,

Low Flow:

We just got done plugging over sized holes and insulating pipes in the RV basement. When we pulled down the rearbasement wall we found that the air supply to the two forward ducts comes through two 4" circular flexible ducts that link them to the main furnace duct. There are two 90ยบ bends in these flexible ducts, that is sure to slow the air flow way down. Solid / smooth sided dusts would help or a matching rectangular fabricated duct, but I am too old and fat to spend that much time in that basement.

Since the front of the 5th wheel is higher I figure that the hot air from the back will migrate forward.

By the way, there are huge holes for pipes and wires that run from the basement to the kitchen cabinets and to the underbelly. Any critters that find their way into the underbelly or basement have easy access to the interior of the RV. I used a package of steel wool and a can of great-stuff and 5 feet of gorilla tape to slow them down.

Best of luck to you on your travels.

Noisy Furnace:

We just had our furnace serviced. The fan impeller was touchingits housing. The intake/ exhaust holes through the RV did not line up with the furnace. This caused the entire furnace housingto be twisted; they also adjusted the impeller on the fan motor shaft. It is quite quiet now.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />