Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Well last Monday I dropped off my 5er at the dealer for the correct blinds to be put in and some other things to be done to the unit under warranty. They called me at 5 pm on wednesday and said it was ready to be picked up. When I got there they started to go over items with me and they replaced the blinds and did only 2 other things. (this was the start)

I have only had the 5er for 6 1/2 months.

I also found that the wall of the slide near the stove separates when the slide is in and one of the slide wipes needs replaced, it got chewed up from a screw not being in all the way. This just added to the list for when I get a chance to take the unit to the factory. Then, I also saw and showed them caulking around the outside of the unit that is peeling and cracking and said I will have to make arrangements to get this in to have it resealed. I was told that the caulking peeling and separating was not covered underwarranty and that I would have to pay the per hour labor rate and for the materials to have it resealed.

I cannot wait to take this 5er back to the factory for them to see and fix (or keep).Out of a list of 37 or 38 items needing repaired, I still need 23 taken care of, after 5 trips to the dealer (something like 21 days). When I go to the factory I just have to remember to not have an attitude.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to papabear
George....sounds like your dealer was only in the business of selling and not serviceing after the sale. I would go to the factory rep and see what can be done to help you out on all your fix it items. I had to do that on a previous t/t I had. That worked out well. Hope you have good luck with the factory.
papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
George,

Did you buy from Brooks in Connellsville? I bought there because a friend of mine that was in the business recommendedthem and said they were good people. I haven't been back for any reason other than inspection last spring, but the sales process was a good one.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

George, It's one of those frustrating things in life that seems to pervade the RV Industry. I'm not sure what the answer this short of all, and I mean ALL RV owners banding together and strike. But that's just a pipe dream. it's like having a doctor's appointment at 10am and you finally see him at 11:30 or even later. A friend of mine got sucked into that (he has a competing brand and a real schlocky dealer). He finally went to the guy with his list and told him his expectancy was for the stuff to be fixed on the first pass and in a certain amount of time. Failing that ,he'd back bill the dealer. It worked.

2005 Cf29CK with all the goodies and hydraulic disk brakes
Squaredancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Chris, Yes I did buy from Brooks. Eric there just keeps telling me to bring it in and Justin, who is one of his techs, is the one who I deal with when I get there. I'm getting to the point of being beyond PI%%ed. I'm going to take this thing to the factory and see what happens. I heard at the RV show here in Pittsburgh that CR pulled lines from Brooks, that they now only sell Sunset Trail and Cruiser,and that those may be pulled also. Heard that it was due to problems with warranty issues like this and problems with complaints on repairs. I don't know the validity on this but it is what I was told.

I just want to be able to enjoy my 5er and not have the hastles.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

GeorgeG - I couldn't resist your post. Let me give you another take. After looking at many different campers to buy, I quickly realized that you get what you pay for. If I wanted to spend 90 grand on an Airstream, I would have gotten a pretty spiffy camper but 20 was more my speed and in Crossroads I think I got a decent unit for my money. Perfect, no way, but for me, if it didn't need something, I would be bored with camping. My dealer is so far away and they keep would keep it so long that taking the unit back is not an effective option. I have learned everything I can to the extent that I think my work is better than my dealer's. I don't bother with maintenance contracts, warrantees and the like because they are all just a hassel. I am proud of my Crossroads unit and when I got through with getting it ready, it has performed very well. My neighbors thought I was nuts because I took every screw and bolt out of it and replaced them with equivalent stainless fasteners. I actually wished I could get a camper in kit form and really build it right. OK - so I'm nuts but I do like camping and Crossroads.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
I actually wished I could get a camper in kit form and really build it right. OK - so I'm nuts but I do like camping and Crossroads.

i actually saw a guy on you tube who did this. the music in the backround was van halens "right now". this guy put together a fifth wheel trailer kit.i think the trailer was called"envision"i will try to find and post the link.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

i just checked out you tube, all you need to do is type "homemade fifth wheel rv camper" on you tube. for some reason the backround music is different. its a cool video.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
My neighbors thought I was nuts because I took every screw and bolt out of it and replaced them with equivalent stainless fasteners. I actually wished I could get a camper in kit form and really build it right. OK - so I'm nuts but I do like camping and Crossroads.

I hope you pulled the outlets and checked the wires also. Friday morning I got up and put a pot of coffee on and half way through it quit. No power to any of the outlets execpt for the GFI beside the kitchen sink. I pushed the test button and then reset and it came on and then went off. I tapped on the outlet and then it came on. I thought a bad GFI, so I went and bought a new one. Well, when replacing the GFI, I found that the neutral wire wasnot tightand burnt the outlet and wire. I'm going to pull out all of the outlets and check the connections on every one of them next weekend.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

GeorgeG - you will never regret sticking your nose into the guts of your camper and getting familiar with it. My first Crossroads (2207 ST19CK) was not particularly a heavy trailer but it seems like it didn't have any real stopping power. A few checks on my own and I determined that one axle was not braking. Further checks and I found the wires were never connected for the brakes on one of the axles. A simple fix but it sent me on a complete check of all the trailer wiring. When you consider the shaking going on when traveling, it's amazing that anything works after awhile. You just have to stay on top of it or expect some surprizes out on the road.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

wsc01q - I don't have a problem sticking my nose into to the guts of my trailer. I have had this 5er for 7 months now and have only used it on 11 weekends so far. It was bought on July 31st and used 5 weekends in August, 3 weekends in September and 3 weekends in February. It has been towed between 300 and 400 miles ( 42 miles one way to dealer). Out of these 3 months this unit has also been back to the dealer 4 times for warranty work and been there for 5 days, just aboutevery time. I spent good money on this unit and have a warranty. I'm not going to fix things when it is under warranty and have another expense for something I have already paid for.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

George, be glad you didn't buy a Keystone Hornet 5er. Ours got a total rebuild the first year of ownership and in the third year, the cross member supporting the pin box "broke" while traveling. We lived through it, with really good camping center support persons and a quick stop before the 5er dropped on the truck box. anything else will be a piece of cake
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

GeorgeG - I guess I can't blame you, but you are killing me. The DW wants a 5er and we have had no serious problems our Sunset Trail TT. We originally didn't have a tow vehicle that would handle a 5er so we had bought the TT. Now that we have a pickup, she want's to "upgrade" to a 5er. I guess we'll rethink that. Our first trip with our Sunset Trail unit was over 3000 miles, several weeks and 1/2 a dozen campsites and it all went quite well. It's so expensive to return a unit for warranty (gas, mileage, time, unit unavailability, etc.) that it has to be cost effective before we take ours back. I guess I'm one of those dream suckers a seller likes because I have such low expectations for things that I buy. I won't buy a warranty and would rather try and get a good trailer up front. If it has to be fixed all the time, I don't want it and I'll dump it. Thanks for pointing out your problems. Hopefully some buyers will take heed.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Sorry to here about your problems George. We bought our Kingston last August and camped every weekend through mid October. We had no warranty or repair issues at all. I think RV's are like autos in that sometimes one sneaks through with less than stellar quality. Good luck on getting your issues resolved.

08 F250 PSD Super Duty

08 Kingston KF30SB
Caledonia Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

We had a lump in the floor under the carpet and this past weekend I decided to check it out. Well after fishing it out, it happened to be a piece of trim molding. I guess they just put the carpets down over anything that is still on the floor.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

That thing had to have been built on a Friday!

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Wsco1q Don't let George get you down, find a good dealer that will take care of you and you will be happy.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Yes, definately don't let my bad apple get you down!! I look at it, that it must of been built as a joke for someone else and I ended up with it. I'm not mad at it or about it any more, and neither is the DW. We just laugh and kid around when something elsehappens and say wonder what is going to be next.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I think you've been a real good sport about it George. I think the trip to the factory will yield better results for your punch list of issues. I will be there Thursday April 24th for my list of small but annoying quality control issues...

So far it seems the company itself is very responsive to my issues.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Some of you folks out there know the major issue I had with my unit in the first couple of months of ownership. Was I untrusting of the unit after my issue� You bet ! But my trust was restored after this past season and I’m very satisfied with my 5er. I was also very satisfied with how CR and the dealer handled the whole process including the very large tow bill.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I do find it frustrating that you pay all this money for a unit, the dealer gets commission and in some cases it needs to go back to the factory for the job to corrected properly. I do realize that things are going to be missed, but the dealer should maintain his integrity and tell the customer “my techs aren’t qualified to make such a repair, your may be better off going to such dealer.�

Here’s a thought� Maybe CR should have their dealer network ranked�

Selling only dealer

Selling dealer light warranty work

Selling dealer all warranty work

And based on the dealer’s skill set, quality process, training and customer feed back would dependent on the dealer’s status. The more status the better discount the dealer receives. This dealer ranking would help people realize that their dealer sucks for repairs.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote