Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Old knowledge for newbie’s!

Let’s start a thread for the newbie’s. Share something that you can pass down.(How to remove bugs from front of camper!) So, was cleaning my 5er up and thought I would share with some of the newbie’s on here. You older farts (go drink a beer), Lol. So, over the years I’ve tried different things to get the bugs off the front of my campers. So, here it is. Dryer sheets! Yep, just damping a dryer sheet and lightly rub those bugs, grime, etc right off. I use them for the front of my vehicles also. Have never damaged any paint or anything. There you go. My knowledge for the day.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

ALWAYS have someone visually check the brake lights, etc on the camper before going on the trip.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

In EVERY rv somewhere there is a television antenna booster, usually has what looks like a cigarette lighter plug & a small button, that must be "on" (small light illuminated) to watch tv from the antenna, then go to the tv setup menu, set to "antenna" then scan the channels, this MUST be done every time to move or change antenna position.
For park cable the booster MUST be "off" (no light illuminated), go to setup menu & set to "cable" & scan the channels, this also must be done every time you connect to park cable.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

NEVER let your black tank go dry. Keep a couple gallons minimum water in, even when not in use. This way any solids left behind inadvertently doesn’t dry out and cause problems. Probably good to leave a small amount of water in the grey tanks also to keep the seals moist, like we do for the toilet rubber gasket.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

One more that's asked a lot!
YES! You can run your rv type refrigerator while traveling. On the control panel of the fridge set the "mode" to "auto", be sure the propane is opened at the tank/bottles & done. By setting this way when plugged into shore power/generator the fridge will automatically switch to electric, once unplugged it will automatically switch to propane. Some suggest turning the fridge control panel to "off" when fueling, personally have never done that in over 40 years of rving, but you need to make your own decision on that.
The only setting that may need changed is the temperature to your liking.
This only applies to rvs with rv type 2 way refrigerators, I have no experience with a rv with a residential fridge.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

[QUOTE=Steve7;132088]NEVER let your black tank go dry. Keep a couple gallons minimum water in, even when not in use. This way any solids left behind inadvertently doesn’t dry out and cause problems. Probably good to leave a small amount of water in the grey tanks also to keep the seals moist, like we do for the toilet rubber gasket.[/QUOTE

To add to Steve's good advice, NEVER EVER leave the black tank valve open no matter if you're hooked to a sewer or not. As he said it must NEVER dry out. Have you ever made paper mache? Well in that tank you have water & paper, but it's NOT glue, think about that!
Old 06-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
One more that's asked a lot!
YES! You can run your rv type refrigerator while traveling. On the control panel of the fridge set the "mode" to "auto", be sure the propane is opened at the tank/bottles & done. By setting this way when plugged into shore power/generator the fridge will automatically switch to electric, once unplugged it will automatically switch to propane. Some suggest turning the fridge control panel to "off" when fueling, personally have never done that in over 40 years of rving, but you need to make your own decision on that.
The only setting that may need changed is the temperature to your liking.
This only applies to rvs with rv type 2 way refrigerators, I have no experience with a rv with a residential fridge.

Actually in some Canadian provinces you can’t. They indicate propane valves must be in closed position while moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Lighting appliances on propane.

When I first turn on the propane tanks; when they’ve been off for any length of time. It helps to light the propane stove eyes first and let them burn while I light the hot water heater on propane the first time. I also light the fridge on propane and the furnace. Leaving the stove eyes on let’s air purge from the lines. Then as long as you don’t turn off the propane valves air should stay out of the lines.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Be aware of your tire and axle weight limits and don't surpass them. Be aware of your tire speed limits, ditto. Be wary of the factory tires which are probably minimal load wise and cheaply made to boot. Definitely weigh your loaded unit, ideally each tire separately but at least overall to see how close to your limit you are. Upgrade your tires at the earliest opportunity, both load range and quality. If buying new, negotiate upgraded tires as part of the deal.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=660catman;132093]Actually in some Canadian provinces you can’t. They indicate propane valves must be in closed position while moving.

Never heard of that , but Canadian ferry's require the propane tanks to be shut while vehicle is on the boat.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote