Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Okay every winter thus far, we have had cabinet separation issues. They split and crack. Where the frame/moulding is connected to the solid door piece. Sorry I am not a cabinet person so I do not know the technical terms.

This happened last winter, not nearly as bad as this winter. At least last year, we could still get them closed, it was a tight fit, but with a little creative closing we could close them. We took it to the dealer they ordered the replacements. It took about 3 weeks to get them.

This year..we are now in 9 weeks out since we first called and sent pictures to the dealership.

So we called crossroads, left a message. Then the dealership called back..they finally got a hold of Crossroads and they were told that due to the economy they did not have any cabinet makers working currently. SO we asked...What does that mean?? The dealership is like we really don't have any idea when we will get the replacements in.

So we have called crossroads back. The issue is that some of them are so bad...there isn't even a way to close them.

We have the 07 Sunset Trail. This seems to be a common issue according the dealership??
But when I ask that on RV boards...everyone is like they should not be doing that.

Here are pictures. I hope this works.

http://s531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/jemek64/

Edited by: nkjemek

2003 Dodge Ram

2007 ST31QB

Parents to 3 boys and 2 girls

nkjemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Take your doors to a cabinet maker and have them done right.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit
Take your doors to a cabinet maker and have them done right.

I would agree and make sure that you send the bill for the repairs to Crossroads.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham

My Sunset Trail was built in April of 07. I have the same type of cabinet doors that you are showing in the pictures and have not had any problems at all with separation. My TT is stored in my driveway in the winter and I do nothing special other than winterizing the plumbing. I don't run heat, and I close the roof vents after our last trip of the season.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We heard from Crossroads this morning. Now we are really ticked...at the dealership service center. Like I have said before we have not been happy with the service after the sale. Only plan to go through them when it is warranty work..which this would be. There was the issue when the first started with them...telling us that the materials would be covered, but we would have to pay for labor.

Well according to the email we have from crossroads, they are confused, as it seems they order the cabinets from a cabinet makers and do not make or do repairs themselves. They do need the VIN to process the order for the replacement doors.

So with that said..we will be sending them the VIN. I hope they can send them directly to us and we can return the damaged ones to them.

The other part of me...wants to take them a cabinet maker and get it fixed so it doesn't happen again.

We were told my the dealership the only way to prevent it is to keep the trailer heated...sure we keep ours at a Storage place about 1/2 mile from the house.

2003 Dodge Ram

2007 ST31QB

Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Your dealer is either stupid or thinks your stupid. I can tell you for a fact that the cabinet's aren't made by Crossroads. The vendor will supply repalcements as Crossroads has said with the VIN# to match year/colors.

Also, you don't want to heat your trailer in the winter - that's a great way to create condensation.

Sounds like you ought to report to Crossroads that your dealer is a liar and try another shop next time. Good luck!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78

Also, you don't want to heat your trailer in the winter - that's a great way to create condensation.
The service repair manger that we are dealing with...who said this was a common problem told us the only way to prevent it was to have the trailer heated during the winter. Not that we would be easy to do.

Thank you for letting us know that it would NOT be a good thing to do in the first place. I thought it sounded odd in the first place.

We will be working with Crossroads and find out if we can make arrangements to get it serviced locally. The local place is not Crossroads dealer. The one we have been going to is the closet and they are still 30 miles away. The next one is closer to 50-60 miles away...The Seattle area.

2003 Dodge Ram

2007 ST31QB

Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have a 2008 ST29RL, built in the fall of 2007. My cabinets are fine and have been through two Michigan winters, although inside.

I would guess that excessive condensation build up is causing the wood to expand thus causing your problems. The trailer should never be buttoned up tight when stored. It should always be allowed to breathe so that moisture can escape. If you don't have them, invest in some vent covers and keep your vents open in the winter. My previous trailer was purchased used and the folks that owned it buttoned it up tighter than tight. There were water stains where moisture condensed. I kept the vents open when stored outside and never had a repeat event.

Something to consider for the future.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the information. I guess we will look at vent covers. To hopefully prevent it in the future.

The great news is that we have heard back from crossroads, they do not mass produce these doors anymore, so they have to be custom ordered. We should have new doors in 3-4 weeks.

To think we are now almost 3 months out from when we first contacted the dealership service center.

I just hope they get here before we leave in the big road trip on June 17th.

2003 Dodge Ram

2007 ST31QB

Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have dealt with cabinet doors quite a bit and have had several campers that were stored inside and out and have never seen doors do that. My parents had an rv that was kept on a full time spot for 5 years and did not have any problem. I would think that heat would be harder on them than cold. That is pretty wild. It is almost like you have mosture in them and then they froze. It has to be something unique with that trailer.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I agree about the vents being left open, all my vents are covered, my unit is an 06 and the vent in the stool room has never been closed, it's open all year and even during the winter, I have never had any condensation problems and all the cupboard doors work just fine..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlight

I have dealt with cabinet doors quite a bit and have had several campers that were stored inside and out and have never seen doors do that. My parents had an rv that was kept on a full time spot for 5 years and did not have any problem. I would think that heat would be harder on them than cold. That is pretty wild. It is almost like you have mosture in them and then they froze. It has to be something unique with that trailer.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out

It might be unique to the Sunset Trail line but not to his particular trailer. I had the same problem last year, and a repeat this year although to a much lesser extent. Fortunately I have a great dealer who looked after the problem almost immediately. Edited by: kilbrider

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

2009 Ford F150 SCREW, 4X4,5.4L, Max Tow pkgw/

Factory Brake Control,Reese Weight Distribution,Dual Cam Sway control

kilbrider is offline   Reply With Quote