Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just a heads up for those of you that have the swing-up outdoor kitchen doors. Recently one of our camping neighbors was admiring ours when he pointed outloose screws on thegas strut mount on the door end of the gas strut. The mount was a little bit out of alignment when it was installed at the factory. I tightened it up butI think with the size and weight of the door (Zinger 31BS) I lost the fight this past weekend and the mount came off the door. Luckily I didn't have much need to keep it open for a long time I upgraded my screws on the mount to bigger screws that hold the mount in place. Will keep an eye on it to see if it works but not alot of options other than that. I am going to see how these new screws hold up before working on my next solution.

It was still a great weekend of camping!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
New Camper

Thanks for the info, we have the same trailer, and wil check ours to be sure...
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The samething happened to our outdoor kitchen door. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer under warranty. My guess is that they will do the same as you did.

2011 F250 CC
fancycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

On our Sunset Trail the gas strut is attached to the door with bolts.

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I encourage EVERYONE with an outdoor kitchen to evaluate the strut supports.

Both of my friends with ODK's had struts rip out of the door (Keystone and Coachmen, so not same brand/construction). The doors are very cheap fiber-board, and it may be worth installing some kind of reinforcement for the struts.

Also, close carefully (try not to push door down or slam). Seems the push when closing the door is the final straw that makes these things fail.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I had this happen on another trailer. What I did was get two double electrical box covers and some 3M Marine adhesive and glued the covers to the inside of the door. After I let the adhesive set for 24 hours I drilled the cover and screwed in the brackets using sheet metal screws.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

That's a good idea John. I am the only one allowed to open and close my outside kitchen door. My son jumped up and grabbed it one day and I about had a come apart.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
New Camper

I also had the strut break from the door. I drilled through the door and installed 1/4" carriage bolts, Has been a year and not even a wiggle.. ALSO check your top hinge. The screws come loose.. Added extra screws..

2013 31sb
Bob
MrMule79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Mine ripped out of the door last year still under warranty.Took it to dealer and they found that the struts were not mounted the same the one that ripped out was actually mounted 5/8" different than the other one and was causing too much strain when closing.They replaced both struts and mounts the door and all the decals haven't had another problem but I do keep an eye on it when closing.
D&J'sZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Mine just popped out. Screws on the longest strut came out.
Can not budge the strut. Are these supposed to move in and out.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpegger View Post
Mine just popped out. Screws on the longest strut came out.
Can not budge the strut. Are these supposed to move in and out.
If your question is, do the struts compress, the answer is yes. The strut brackets should NOT move.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Finally got them to compress after putting my full weight on them. Will have to reinforce the brackets so it will stay put . Thanks
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I've got the same problem on a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve I just bought. I like the idea of a metal plate backing to mount the strut brackets to. Can you just screw into that door however you like or are there only certain areas you can put screws in? Should I drill a small pilot hole? I'm not clear on what the door is made of exactly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMule79 View Post
I also had the strut break from the door. I drilled through the door and installed 1/4" carriage bolts, Has been a year and not even a wiggle.. ALSO check your top hinge. The screws come loose.. Added extra screws..

2013 31sb
Bob
Now that I think about it, this seems like the best course of action. Thanks for sharing that! What size washers did you use on the outside?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

My neighbor has an outdoor kitchen and his door was way out of line. It rubs when he closes it.

My opinion, convenience isn't always better. I think having a latch system or some other type of method to hold the door up when open would be better vs. the pressure the struts against the door. Over the years I've had struts tear out from under the bed a couple of times. Once when only one strut came undone at the screws it twisted the plywood top and tore the top of the bed from the wall.

I know the struts hold the door up so it provides shelter from the elements, but it would almost be better if it was a barn door type system with an awning over it.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #16
New Camper

I didn't use washers. The head of the bolt was big enough.It's a very clean look and no one notices
MrMule79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Before I drill holes through my door and put in bolts I'm going to try some epoxy in the screw holes. I've heard that putting the tip of a small zip tie in with the screw along with epoxy can be effective. I'll try it this week and report back after it cures for 24 hours.